Post-Game Talk: Pittsburgh Penguins at New York Rangers |Game 3| 5/5/2014

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
Yea, look at them. Possessing the puck and taking shots from poor angles with little traffic in front isn't really something to be proud of.

Thats been the mantra all season -- look at those possession #'s! They're unlucky and going to get better! This must be the unluckiest team in the history of the league.

Look at my team, pretty much destroying the league the last two years in possession and shot differential and still missed the playoffs. :)

The Rangers were fine offensively down the stretch but I think the McD injury is really ****ing them up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I don't buy that. These guys are professionals. It's matchups. It's easy to say one team doesn't care or whatever, but these guys do.

What did San Jose have no mental toughness? No, LA just was better...Vlasic went down, and they couldn't recover - that's the series.

No, when you look at the history of the Sharks in the playoffs, I think there's a pretty apparent lack of mental toughness.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Ok. You're talking to a fanbase who hasn't seen the Rangers play for a Stanley Cup since 1994. Furthermore, you're talking to a fanbase that has seen the team make a total of 2 conference finals since 1994. The team is 3-8 in those two Conference Finals.

It isn't just this year. It's been two decades of false starts or absolute horrendousness. So you can excuse people for being reactionary after the Corpse that is MAF get two consecutive shut outs.

As I said above, 29 teams fail to win the Stanley Cup every year. Frequent conference finals appearances are not a regular occurrence for the vast majority of teams in this league.

I don't know where this indignation was when the Rangers didn't win a division for 48 straight years, including during a time when there were six teams in the whole league.

The frustration arises more specifically from the fact that this team's best skaters rarely play like they are the best.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Although it won't happen, keep them away from the rink till Wednesday. Do something team related today that doesn't involve ice unless it's for war wounds.

We'll beat them on Wednesday.

Wolfy*

Zucc blamed himself for the 2-0 goal, but we know it was an accident. He was still one of our best players last night.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
The majority of people aren't even "fans."

They're just rich people. There were suits at the game watching basketball last night instead of the actual on-ice play.

That's what it's become. Like it or not if WE stop going to games, it's not going to do anything.

Gotta start somewhere though. I agree with you about the suits but the nosebleeds are still full of average joes who love the game and the team. Suits are not going to sit up there no matter what.

Stop going to games and feeding Dolan money and maybe things will change. I had season tickets for 8 years and canceled them last year after yet another increase in price which I was getting sick of. I'm also really sick of Sather. I went to one game this year bc I got tickets for free, but until Sather is gone and this team changes I will never pay for tickets again.

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
No, when you look at the history of the Sharks in the playoffs, I think there's a pretty apparent lack of mental toughness.

I don't buy it. Maybe it's an X factor certain teams have or don't. I just don't subscribe, there's good teams and better teams. Did the Devils in the late 90s between Cups have no mental toughness when it came down to it? Some would say yes, but nothing really changed from 99 to 2000 - they just got better with Mogilny, were healthier than when Andreychuk went down in 99. Health, luck, matchups and talent.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
As I said above, 29 teams fail to win the Stanley Cup every year. Frequent conference finals appearances are not a regular occurrence for the vast majority of teams in this league.

Not many teams have spent as much money as the Rangers in the quest to win a Cup. Not many teams have also consistently tried a quick-fix, short cut approach to winning a Cup — because it doesn't work.

I don't know where this indignation was when the Rangers didn't win a division for 48 straight years, including during a time when there were six teams in the whole league.

The indignation comes from hearing the GM say on a constant loop that the goal is to win the Cup. Yet refusing to create an organizational philosophy that is essential to do just that.

The frustration arises more specifically from the fact that this team's best skaters rarely play like they are the best.

There's a reason that those players are available. There's also seemingly a reason they all choose to come to New York.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Zucc blamed himself for the 2-0 goal, but we know it was an accident. He was still one of our best players last night.

High risk, high reward.

He also had a bad turnover on Sunday night that led to a Penguin goal. As for it being an accident, I dont think youll find an NHL player who does that sort of thing on purpose.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I don't buy that. These guys are professionals. It's matchups. It's easy to say one team doesn't care or whatever, but these guys do.

What did San Jose have no mental toughness? No, LA just was better...Vlasic went down, and they couldn't recover - that's the series.

Just my opinion but I would say the Sharks downfall was 100% mental. They didn't just go up 3-0 on some bounces and one goal games. They DOMINATED and at the first sign of adversity their entire series collapsed. Up and down the roster.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA

This is my main problem. I don't expect a cup, or even a conf championship, but I expect to see these guys play with will and heart. I want to see them playing like they are trying. It's sad when you see the guys getting paid the most playing like they could care less if they were there or not. That is my problem.

You want to feel proud of your team. Hard to get behind these guys.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A lot of folks are going to look at the shot totals from last night and push a narrative that the Rangers dominated the game, but thats not really true. The Penguins didn't push the offense in the last half of the game because, well, they didnt have to. Call it the Jacques Martin effect, but they did a pretty good job of limiting prime scoring chances as the game went on. The breakaway goals from Crosby and Jokinen (and Kunitz earlier in the game) were, by far, the best scoring chances in the game. The Rangers hit a couple of posts, but think about it, did Fleury have to work hard for another shutout? Most of the Ranger shots came from poor angles with little traffic in front. They've managed to take a basket case goaltender and make him look comfortable.

The reason is simple. The book is out on this Ranger team. Stack the blue line, clog the slot, and they will have a difficult time producing goals. The goals the Rangers have produced this playoff season, for the most part, have come from pretty cross-ice passes or a player darting through the slot. The Penguins are taking that away, and the Rangers have no answers. Other than the Brassard line, who had a really good night at even strength, there seems to be little willingness to fight through the adversity. After all, a shot from 30 feet out at a steep angle is easier than winning a board battle or dealing with the Penguins in front of the net.

Thats a more strategic look at it. The play of the Rangers big name players and their power play have been a travesty and a disgrace as well.

Some luck was involved. A quarter of an inch and St. Louis scores--that Zuccarello shot tantalizingly running along the surface of the crossbar. The Rangers generally controlled the territory but got caught out on the Kunitz breakaway, the Crosby goal and then the Jokinen goal came along which was just a ****ed up play. Why we have Richards playing the point at the very tail end of a pwp?--I just don't know.

The Penguins seemed to almost deliberately take their foot off the offensive gas pedal and focus pretty much on making the Rangers bring the puck the full 200 ft. of ice in the third period. It was an effective strategy. If the Rangers had somehow managed to make it a one goal game though it might not have been so effective--that's how lots of teams lose their dreaded two goal leads--getting that first goal is the key though and the Rangers didn't get it.

Was it a disgraceful effort?--not really. It's one of those frustrating games where a team works at least pretty hard and nothing really goes it way. They happen to every team now and again every year and there's no telling when they're going to happen.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It was an accident. It was also a really awful hockey play.

Whose fault is it that the pass he made, was the only play he had? No support anywhere which is a major issue. They are too stationery on the PP.

MZA carries the puck in the zone, Brassard has a guy on him. Richards has a guy on him, that guy floats down to MZA. Where is the other form of support?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The PP was on point too despite no goals.

mostly due to Diaz on it...

Hopefully he sticks in the lineup. I LOVE his shot. He can't "QB" the PP per sey, but he's a total keeper in terms of third pairing defense + PP time

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Whose fault is it that the pass he made, was the only play he had? No support anywhere which is a major issue. They are too stationery on the PP.

MZA carries the puck in the zone, Brassard has a guy on him. Richards has a guy on him, that guy floats down to MZA. Where is the other form of support?

Funny watching the Rangers power play, then watching the Ducks power play in the first period. Guys actually move and create openings!

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

I get that. But throwing the puck back to the point or trying to go cross ice from where he was when a PP is expiring is never a good play.

johnmd20*

Come on. You can't look at the Rangers in the past two decades and question why people are getting frustrated. All that money, all the personelle changes, an all world goalie, and everything else that has happened, the only thing that has remained constant is that this team has always fallen short.

This year isn't over but even if the Rangers get past Pitt, they have a huge moutain to climb to get past either the Bruines or That ******* Team From Up North.

Last edited by a moderator:

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
Just my opinion but I would say the Sharks downfall was 100% mental. They didn't just go up 3-0 on some bounces and one goal games. They DOMINATED and at the first sign of adversity their entire series collapsed. Up and down the roster.

I don't know. I think sometimes things change. Sharks lost their best D. It's hard to come back from that. The Kings had better goaltending.

Look, it's a crazy league. There's been great teams over periods of years who have never won the Cup/Super Bowl whatever. Were the Bills in the early 90s headcases for never winning that SuperBowl or did they just run into better teams year after year.

The Flyers of the late 90s kept running into the Devils, Rangers and other teams. That core in Philly was together a long time before they gave up.

The Sharks have been great but the Hawks, Kings and Canucks were on the rise at the sametime.

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
Come on. You can't look at the Rangers in the past two decades and question why people are getting frustrated. All that money, all the personelle changes, an all world goalie, and everything else that has happened, the only thing that has remained constant is that this team has always fallen short.

This year isn't over but even if the Rangers get past Pitt, they have a huge moutain to climb to get past either the Bruines or That D0uchey Team From Up North.

Frustrations for sure. Looking at the roster though, it seems their real true time will be next year...possibly. Bruins will be older and coming off another run....Rangers will have more chemistry, maybe more health, the ability to swap out Richards, and possibly adding a puck moving defenseman.

If I'm NYR, I look into Zidlicky to help with the PP for one season.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not many teams have spent as much money as the Rangers in the quest to win a Cup. Not many teams have also consistently tried a quick-fix, short cut approach to winning a Cup — because it doesn't work.

The indignation comes from hearing the GM say on a constant loop that the goal is to win the Cup. Yet refusing to create an organizational philosophy that is essential to do just that.

There's a reason that those players are available. There's also seemingly a reason they all choose to come to New York.
You state my views perfectly.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I don't buy it. Maybe it's an X factor certain teams have or don't. I just don't subscribe, there's good teams and better teams. Did the Devils in the late 90s between Cups have no mental toughness when it came down to it? Some would say yes, but nothing really changed from 99 to 2000 - they just got better with Mogilny, were healthier than when Andreychuk went down in 99. Health, luck, matchups and talent.

Fair points. I think it's a blend. You have the teams MVP ailing. Half these guys act like its a country club. They are skilled but thy act like they are waiting for their morning scones and tea. Oh yeah definitely luck and bounces and skill too. They gota use their skill. They have to start getting synchronized with one another. MSL NASH and Stepan, they are aome top talents but they aren't hitting net and seem to be missing or something. They have problems and crap luck sure. But I think too mental resiliency is something these players don't have

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Couple of disturbing trends:

Outside of game 7, the second periods have been disaster. How do you not play 60 minutes in a playoff game?

Their 3rd period play is completely depended on what the score is. If they're behind, their compete level isn't there.

What makes this even more disturbing is that Pitt was blowing leads frequently in the first round, and almost blew it in Game 6. The Rangers are barely testing a team that was prone to collapsing when they had a lead.

When Columbus was down, they aggressively forechecked, hit everything in sight, and, most important of all, drove to the net and got in Fleury's face. When then the Rangers are trailing, they try to finesse their way to a win by making an elaborate passing play (which almost always results in a turnover) and are far too polite to Fleury. They have an aversion to the crease - they don't screen the goalie, they don't crash the net, and they don't take advantage of Fleury's poor rebound control.

tbonenc*

I could provide a lengthy counterpoint to the bolded statement. I will instead point out the obvious answer to it:

6a0147e41f3c0a970b01a3fce620e8970b-320wi

My intent was not to knock Hank. He is our best player right now. I was merely pointing out that good teams are winning with average goalies.

Who is the center....not sure. We certainly are going to have to get extremely lucky to draft one since we trade away all of our ****ing first round picks.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Lack of long term plan. Lack of vision. Lack of asset management. Lack of identifying proper assets to acquire.

Seriously, has someone asked Sather WHY it is that all of these players want to play in NY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad