Post-Game Talk: Pittsburgh Penguins at New York Rangers |Game 3| 5/5/2014

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
What makes this even more disturbing is that Pitt was blowing leads frequently in the first round, and almost blew it in Game 6. The Rangers are barely testing a team that was prone to collapsing when they had a lead.

When Columbus was down, they aggressively forechecked, hit everything in sight, and, most important of all, drove to the net and got in Fleury's face. When then the Rangers are trailing, they try to finesse their way to a win by making an elaborate passing play (which almost always results in a turnover) and are far too polite to Fleury. They have an aversion to the crease - they don't screen the goalie, they don't crash the net, and they don't take advantage of Fleury's poor rebound control.

If they added some more of this they would have put Philly away sooner as well. Can't even begin to count the number of juicy rebounds Mason gave up that the Rangers were 100% unable to pick up let alone score on.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If they added some more of this they would have put Philly away sooner as well. Can't even begin to count the number of juicy rebounds Mason gave up that the Rangers were 100% unable to pick up let alone score on.
What is happening is that playoffs are producing a microscope and it is magnifying the warts that this team has. Those warts are glossed over during the regular season. But no place to hide them in the playoffs.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Whose fault is it that the pass he made, was the only play he had? No support anywhere which is a major issue. They are too stationery on the PP.

MZA carries the puck in the zone, Brassard has a guy on him. Richards has a guy on him, that guy floats down to MZA. Where is the other form of support?

He needs to be more aware. It was the end of the powerplay.

The curl just inside the blue line was the first bad play, the backpass to nobody was the dagger.

tbonenc*

Oh totally.

In fact, maybe the team can take $20M in cap space and get Richards, Nash, and St. Louis! That'll put'em over the top!

If your going to reply, at least attempt to make sense.

I never advocated signing any of these guys. In fact, I have repeatedly said that the MSL deal was a huge mistake.

This team lacks strength up the middle. We need a 1C and some wingers who aren't afraid to get dirty. No matter how well Hank plays, we aren't getting past the best teams without those players. Hank's contract doesn't help the cap and trading away draft picks for a 39 year old winger is ****ing stupid.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
If your going to reply, at least attempt to make sense.

I never advocated signing any of these guys. In fact, I have repeatedly said that the MSL deal was a huge mistake.

This team lacks strength up the middle. We need a 1C and some wingers who aren't afraid to get dirty. No matter how well Hank plays, we aren't getting past the best teams without those players. Hank's contract doesn't help the cap and trading away draft picks for a 39 year old winger is ****ing stupid.

Right.

Instead, you advocated throwing more money at yet-to-be-named position players. What can go wrong?

The Rangers are practicing your strategy RIGHT NOW. Lundqvist's cap hit isn't inhibiting the ability to bring on players. That notion is absurd.

tbonenc*

mostly due to Diaz on it...

Hopefully he sticks in the lineup. I LOVE his shot. He can't "QB" the PP per sey, but he's a total keeper in terms of third pairing defense + PP time

I don't understand the QB of the PP thing. One guy doesn't control the PP. Players have to find/create space and create mismatches.

Look at Subban. The guy isn't controlling their PP. He is just looking to unload a shot. He is very accurate, but not a PP QB.

Bottom line is our PP sucks right now. Blaming our defense isn't the answer.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I don't understand the QB of the PP thing. One guy doesn't control the PP. Players have to find/create space and create mismatches.

Look at Subban. The guy isn't controlling their PP. He is just looking to unload a shot. He is very accurate, but not a PP QB.

Bottom line is our PP sucks right now. Blaming our defense isn't the answer.

This is kind of like saying an orchestra doesn't need a conductor.

tbonenc*

Right.

Instead, you advocated throwing more money at yet-to-be-named position players. What can go wrong?

The Rangers are practicing your strategy RIGHT NOW. Lundqvist's cap hit isn't inhibiting the ability to bring on players. That notion is absurd.

Who the **** is advocating paying for high priced free agents? Trade some guys for a young center with the potential to be a #1. We can't seem to draft one and our odds suck since we trade away our top picks. What I am advocating is the opposite. We need to build our system and stop looking for the quick fix.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Who the **** is advocating paying for high priced free agents? Trade some guys for a young center with the potential to be a #1. We can't seem to draft one and our odds suck since we trade away our top picks. What I am advocating is the opposite. We need to build our system and stop looking for the quick fix.

How are they supposed to build their system while "trading guys for a young center with the potential to be a #1?" How does that type of player even become available? How does Lundqvist's cap hit effect this? Seems like you haven't really thought this through.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Fair points. I think it's a blend. You have the teams MVP ailing. Half these guys act like its a country club. They are skilled but thy act like they are waiting for their morning scones and tea. Oh yeah definitely luck and bounces and skill too. They gota use their skill. They have to start getting synchronized with one another. MSL NASH and Stepan, they are aome top talents but they aren't hitting net and seem to be missing or something. They have problems and crap luck sure. But I think too mental resiliency is something these players don't have

Mental toughness is definitely lacking. There have been plenty of times during the playoffs when the Rangers haven't responded well to adversity. Pouliot takes a bad penalty? This team implodes and can't recover. The Rangers are trailing by a goal in the 2nd? That's it for them, they aren't coming back. And they definitely won't score a game-tying goal in the waning minutes when their goalie is pulled.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

You don't understand it very well apparently. Subban is absolutely a power-play quarterback.

A PP QB is traditionally defined as:

A type of player in hockey whose main objective is to lead the team during their power play by helping developing the play and/or be the main offensive weapon. Typically, this is an offensive minded defenseman who is adept in handling the puck who will take one of the points during a power play and pass the puck to other players or have a strong shot from the point.

Everything Subban does on Montreal's PP.

Quote about Subban…

He's an amazing skater with exceptional puck-handling skills, which allows him to make end-to-end rushes that often result in highlight reel plays. His vision and playmaking skills make him an elite power-play quarterback, and he's also capable of scoring goals with a powerful and accurate shot from the point

KreiMeARiver*

Ok, so we have a team good enough to plow through the 2nd half of the season, and get to a 2nd round against a good team. We win game 1 on the road, then lose 2 games. So, we're now down 2-1.

Aaaaaaaand the sky is falling and we have no plan or vision or blah blah blah.

Got it...

tbonenc*

How are they supposed to build their system while "trading guys for a young center with the potential to be a #1?" How does that type of player even become available? How does Lundqvist's cap hit effect this? Seems like you haven't really thought this through.

Hank's cap hit doesn't help with signing our own players and bringing in targeted free agents.

The MSL signing was a joke. The guy said he would like to play in NY so Sather decides its the franchises job to accommodate him?

Our minor system is not strong. Blame it on our scouts or bad management decisions, but we can't afford to trade away picks and make bad decisions (McIlrath).

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Ok, so we have a team good enough to plow through the 2nd half of the season, and get to a 2nd round against a good team. We win game 1 on the road, then lose 2 games. So, we're now down 2-1.

Got it...

Perhaps you should take a look at the Rangers strength of schedule post-Olympic break and reassess.

I have no doubt this team is good enough to run circles around non-playoff teams. They are not good enough/versatile enough to be amongst the best.

tbonenc*

You don't understand it very well apparently. Subban is absolutely a power-play quarterback.

A PP QB is traditionally defined as:

Everything Subban does on Montreal's PP.

Quote about Subban…

Oh great Nevesis, please impart your wisdom on us.

I have watched a ton of Canadian games this year. I am a Subban fan, but the majority of what he does on the PP is look for one-timers. He is not making dynamic passes or creating space by moving out of his point position. He has a fantastic shot...very hard and accurate. So, if that makes him a PP QB, then okay.

KingP

Mar 24, 2012
New york
So, how do you guys feel going into tomorrow? I feel like it cant get any worse and we will definitely put some in the net with all the chances we are getting. Hopefully we can go back to Pittsburgh 2-2

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
So, how do you guys feel going into tomorrow? I feel like it cant get any worse and we will definitely put some in the net with all the chances we are getting. Hopefully we can go back to Pittsburgh 2-2

I feel confident. This day off today will help reset everything. The back to back killed us.

Pittsburgh isn't beating us. We are beating ourselves.

Tie this thing up, go into Pittsburgh, steal one on the road and win it back at MSG in 6.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
You know it's bad when a Devils fan is trying to be the voice of reason.

Even if we end up beating the Pens we're not getting past the 3rd round. Lets just end this heartbreak now instead of dragging it into another series and losing our 1st. Maybe we'll draft another defensive dman!

Wolfy*

He needs to be more aware. It was the end of the powerplay.

The curl just inside the blue line was the first bad play, the backpass to nobody was the dagger.

Meant for Richards, who was also to blame. As was Hank, sloppy play...

Zucc doesn't have eyes in the back, he didn't see the Pens player coming out of the penalty box behind him. That's how he describes it, but still takes the blame.

What we really should discuss is our lousy powerplay. If it isn't fixed...no chance.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
It is mind boggling in here what do people expect us to go 16-0 and win every game 4-1? No team goes through the PO's clean there are no easy Cup wins..We completely outplayed the Pens last night but we cant buy a goal and the PP is so tight though better last night they, are turning their sticks into sawdust...We are down 2 games to 1 and its like most have given up in here?? This is a very trying place to come to talk and read about our beloved hockey team

Got it...

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Pittsburgh isn't beating us. We are beating ourselves.
Pretty sure that Pitt blew the doors off of the Rangers in Game 2. And they won Game 2. And Game 1 was not a runaway. I think that you are kidding yourself if you view this as simply the Rangers playing poorly. The Rangers look bad because the Pens are making them look bad.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Pretty sure that Pitt blew the doors off of the Rangers in Game 2. And they won Game 2. And Game 1 was not a runaway. I think that you are kidding yourself if you view this as simply the Rangers playing poorly. The Rangers look bad because the Pens are making them look bad.

Umm…0 for their last 34 on the power-play?

That isn't beating yourself? :confused:

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Because the idea of a PP QB is often flawed. If you watched PK play, you would know that his primary role is to look for his shot. They don't hand the puck to him, sit back and wait for him to create a scoring opportunity.

The guy has a fantastic shot. Maybe, along with Ovie, the best one-timer in the game. Does that make his a PP QB?

What does Power Play Quarterback Mean?

A type of player in hockey whose main objective is to lead the team during their power play by helping developing the play and/or be the main offensive weapon. Typically, this is an offensive minded defenseman who is adept in handling the puck who will take one of the points during a power play and pass the puck to other players or have a strong shot from the point.

:amazed:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
It is mind boggling in here what do people expect us to go 16-0 and win every game 4-1? No team goes through the PO's clean there are no easy Cup wins..We completely outplayed the Pens last night but we cant buy a goal and the PP is so tight though better last night they, are turning their sticks into sawdust...We are down 2 games to 1 and its like most have given up in here?? This is a very trying place to come to talk and read about our beloved hockey team

Please tell Sather this point this upcoming July.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad