Post-Game Talk: Pittsburgh Penguins at New York Rangers |Game 3| 5/5/2014

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I am astonished that anyone believes the Rangers dominated that game. Is it one of those we had more shots than them deals?

Its ignorance or lack of understanding. Perhaps both.

The dominating factor of the game was the Penguins clogging up the center of the ice and limiting the amount of prime scoring chances the Rangers had.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

Its ignorance or lack of understanding. Perhaps both.

The dominating factor of the game was the Penguins clogging up the center of the ice and limiting the amount of prime scoring chances the Rangers had.

Its both.

The Pens did clog the middle.

The Rangers did play better. We had a ton more chances than them. We had more shots. We had the puck more often.

The problem is it was 5 games in 7 nights. You could tell our top guys were tired, especially in the 3rd period. When you are tired, that is also when a goal turns into a post...you can be mentally tired as well.

A night off and staying at home for game 4 will help us a lot.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Apparently quantity of shots is the most important aspect of the game to a lot of people here.

I don't think we dominated but we were the better team and simply made 3 huge mistakes. Hank stopped the first breakaway and missed the next two. The penguins barely had any zone time all game. We hit 3 posts and Fleury made a few nice saves on some other chances. I believe two of out posts came when the game was still 0-0. One of those goes in and it's a completely different game.

Sure MAF was bad last playoffs, but he had a pretty good season this year which a lot of people seem to be overlooking. Gotta give him some credit.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
I don't think we dominated but we were the better team and simply made 3 huge mistakes. Hank stopped the first breakaway and missed the next two. The penguins barely had any zone time all game. We hit 3 posts and Fleury made a few nice saves on some other chances. I believe two of out posts came when the game was still 0-0. One of those goes in and it's a completely different game.

Sure MAF was bad last playoffs, but he had a pretty good season this year which a lot of people seem to be overlooking. Gotta give him some credit.

MAF has been been having good regular seasons for the past few years. The playoffs is where he's fallen apart.

If this team put any kind of pressure on him whatsoever, he would not be shutting us out. He can see basically all of our shots, so it's not that tough to turn them down, especially when our players aren't exactly the hardest shooters.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If this team put any kind of pressure on him whatsoever, he would not be shutting us out. He can see basically all of our shots, so it's not that tough to turn them down, especially when our players aren't exactly the hardest shooters.
Agreed. He has not had a hard time in net. All of the shots are from the outside and he has no screens in front of him.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Really disheartening loss. Getting shutout by MAF twice in a row is pretty pathetic. He was better tonight, but still. He's beatable.

This pens team as a whole is beatable. The Rangers had some decent play going for them tonight, but they lacked some real key aspects too. They were better possessing the puck, for example, but they couldn't get into spots for good scoring chances with any consistency at all.

For me, everything comes down to the PP though. They lose momentum every single them they go a man up because they look so clueless and uncomfortable. Obviously, scoring would be ideal, but even going out there and maintaining possession and getting some chances would be a step in the right direction at this point. As it is, they effectively give the other team a momentum boost in response to them taking a penalty. It's going to be the reason they fall apart if it keeps up.

I just honestly don't understand how the PP has become this bad. The coaching staff is capable of coaching a good PP, the players are capable of executing it. And it's just garbage. It's not just falling short, it's awful. How?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I just honestly don't understand how the PP has become this bad. The coaching staff is capable of coaching a good PP, the players are capable of executing it. And it's just garbage. It's not just falling short, it's awful. How?
At this point it is actually worse than under Torts.

How did it become this bad? It is now a skill showcase where you overpass on the perimeter and then take an outside shot with the opposing goalie having full view and no one there to take a second whack or pounce on a rebound. It is now also an all rush PP whereas if the puck was thrown into a corner, by virtue of having more people, you can go and retrieve it.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I don't understand the QB of the PP thing. One guy doesn't control the PP. Players have to find/create space and create mismatches.

Look at Subban. The guy isn't controlling their PP. He is just looking to unload a shot. He is very accurate, but not a PP QB.

Bottom line is our PP sucks right now. Blaming our defense isn't the answer.

I'm not blaming the defense. I never intended to, and nothing I wrote should have pointed to that. I'm simply stating the fact that our best PP shooter happens to be a defenseman, who should be here next year when Stralman walks. that's all.

Regardless, Diaz was the best part of the power play. Loved to shoot, stood there with his stick up, etc. Definitely fits AV's mold.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Stepan and Nash have been fairly useless, but I expect a whole lot more from St. Louis.

He is supposed to be the best of the three and I think he has been the worst. If someone didn't know who these players were, they would never guess that he has been a top player for years.

I think Yzerman knew he was through and fleeced Sather.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Teams learned that if you hold the blueline the Rangers can't execute a zone entry. And if they do just hold the center of the ice, Rangers will work the perimeter and be unable to get to any rebounds.

The book is out.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Does anybody know what the official chances stat was last night? Had to be like 4-3 Rangers. Talk about not getting quality shots. Frustrating game. Really need to get Kreider back. And put in Carcillo over Dorsett. Miller and Fast aren't ready.

tbonenc*

I'm not blaming the defense. I never intended to, and nothing I wrote should have pointed to that. I'm simply stating the fact that our best PP shooter happens to be a defenseman, who should be here next year when Stralman walks. that's all.

Regardless, Diaz was the best part of the power play. Loved to shoot, stood there with his stick up, etc. Definitely fits AV's mold.

I don't disagree with you regarding Diaz. He moves the puck quickly and can get move quickly to open ice or a loose puck.

His shot isn't that great, but without screens or deflections, it really doesn't matter that much.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
BTW is Stepan useless or what? Guy is a ghost. Nash has been much better than Stepan.

Looking more and more useless each game. Last night he looked like a 45 year old man exhausted. Isn't he like 23?

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
The pens aren't just full of talent, they are well coached. Bylsma is very astute. Plus: MAF is not soiling the bed this year. (so far!)

This is a tough match up.

If we are frustrated because we blew chances to score, (hitting posts, crossbar etc) then that means we have had legit chances to score/WIN. No?

And if that is the case, then I say we are IN THIS. And we can WIN THIS.

Get a couple in and MAF will start to unravel. There is a lot of pressure on him and this team and coach to win this year. Goals come in bunches. Gotta score early tomorrow night. I am not convinced that The Rangers have given up or "don't care". I think they and the coaching staff want it.

Would I love to have an elite centerman? of course. So would Nash. doesn't mean we can't win. I still tihnk we're in it.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
So I just was thinking, is it possible that the powerplay struggles have been exacerbated by the schedule. I can imagine not having a lot of time to practice and adjust outside of game scenarios could make it tough to improve. Plus so much failure in so little time could only demolish their confidence.

Not making an excuse, just curious if anyone else thinks that could be a factor—I honestly don't know how to understand it.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
So I just was thinking, is it possible that the powerplay struggles have been exacerbated by the schedule. I can imagine not having a lot of time to practice and adjust outside of game scenarios could make it tough to improve. Plus so much failure in so little time could only demolish their confidence.

Not making an excuse, just curious if anyone else thinks that could be a factor—I honestly don't know how to understand it.

well you have to admit you know the 0/33 stat is shattering their confidence. They're probably all having a mild panic attack every time a penalty is called on the opposing team so

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
At this point it is actually worse than under Torts.

How did it become this bad? It is now a skill showcase where you overpass on the perimeter and then take an outside shot with the opposing goalie having full view and no one there to take a second whack or pounce on a rebound. It is now also an all rush PP whereas if the puck was thrown into a corner, by virtue of having more people, you can go and retrieve it.

I'd describe it in many ways, but "skill showcase" wouldn't be one of them.

They have absolutely no confidence. They overthink everything, and therefore they don't ever catch the PKers off guard. If you're a second behind, the PK guys are just on time, and you're screwed.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
well you have to admit you know the 0/33 stat is shattering their confidence. They're probably all having a mild panic attack every time a penalty is called on the opposing team so

Its true.

The stench of the powerplay led directly to the 2 Pittsburgh goals.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
So when I was pissing and moaning about the schedule and playing 7 games in 10 nights some thought it wouldn't be an issue. It was. It always is. They may have looked pretty decent out there but it's the little things, the extra inch, the extra stride, the extra mental focus that makes a difference, the pens had it. The rangers didn't. I give the Rangers credit in the loss though. A few posts away from taking the lead in this game.

I wouldn't get too down on them for this one. I wouldn't start pointing fingers. Can't help the fact at hey were royally screwed (again) with the scheduling. And yes, it can be used as an excuse, I'm sorry. It just the way I feel about it. To me it was obvious. Be happy they took game 1 becaus that was huge. The blame falls on them for not closing out the Flyers in 5 or 6 and that's where it ends for me.

They have an opportunity now to win a home game to tie this baby up 2-2. That's what they have to do now so far this series has gone exactly like I thought it would.

Last edited:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
What do you guys want as a number 1 center? A young player with potential? Like a 23 year old 60ish point two way player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad