Confirmed with Link: [PIT/OTT/VGK] Brassard/Dunn/Lindberg/3rd for Gustavsson/Cole/1st/3rd for Reaves/4th | VGK ret. 40%

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
But the Kessel trade was a damn steal. Phil's NMC made us the only option for Toronto to move him. It's not a fair measuring stick because they were forced to sell him for pennies on the dollar.

He's not a selke candidate, but he's a good defensive player.

But, but, but the Gretzky trade!!

McDavid will be traded to Vegas for Reaves.

Isn't that how it works? Any lopsided trade becomes the new precedent for justifying all future silly proposals.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
This is true, but even if you factor in Reaves, the value is we gave up is close to what we gave up for Kessel. And Kessel is twice the player Brassard is.

I guess I was just expecting the Pens to give up less for a 50 point 2nd line center. Not to mention that, from what I read, he isn't all that great in his own end.

I mean, Sid is twice the player that Ovechkin is and Ovechkin is literally worth more. Sometimes value is a pretty arbitrary construct that doesn't always work out cleanly. :dunno:

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Just have to tip my hat of to JR. I stopped doubting his genious after the Scuderi and Perron deals so I was confident he as going to pull something of.
Just waiting for that depth defenceman and I think JR is done.
Biggest enemy of this group of players now are themselves.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
I mean, Sid is twice the player that Ovechkin is and Ovechkin is literally worth more. Sometimes value is a pretty arbitrary construct that doesn't always work out cleanly. :dunno:

Not to mention that the Leafs were desperate to get rid of Kessel and Kessel was desperate to leave.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
This is true, but even if you factor in Reaves, the value is we gave up is close to what we gave up for Kessel. And Kessel is twice the player Brassard is.

I guess I was just expecting the Pens to give up less for a 50 point 2nd line center. Not to mention that, from what I read, he isn't all that great in his own end.

While it may seem like an overpayment it needs to be put in to context. This is the exact sort of move that may help us earn the first dynasty status in the cap era. This sort of trade can be made when you have a lot of assets that are moving in to and filling former holes. We are in a position now that allows us to do this. Our window closes within 3-5 years, so prospects drafted now will most likely never be part of this Penguins team.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I’m just going to throw this out there

0207_Great_Day_550_grande.jpg

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
What do you mean by "he was in the country"? I presume then that Brassard's visa from his NYR days has expired.

Pheneuf was in the US on a travel visa playing for the Sens when he was traded (during the Pens game). He was going to be traveling with them on an approved visa. So, LA just needed to amend an already issued visa.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
There's always one out there. That's for sure. Read the thread for crying out loud before just spewing negativity for negativity sake. You should be proving everyone else wrong, not 99.9% proving your thoughts incorrect.

I don't get your point. How many times has group-think here on HF boards proven out to be wrong. I remember everyone laughing at Vegas and the roster they were building...oops. I remember these boards calling Shero the GOAT after the Iginla trade.

The simple fact of someone questioning the Brassard trade as a whole isn't someone simply trying to be "that guy".

On the surface, it looks like a very good trade. But I haven't studied Brassard throughout his career, more like I have noticed him. I reserve my final judgement until once I focus on him for several games.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The more I read about Brassard, the more excited I get. I thought he was a mostly an offensive center with good playmaking talents before he came in, but I'm also seeing now that he's good defensively, very physical and also has a very good shot. He's going to be a fan favorite immediately, you can just tell with him.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The more I read about Brassard, the more excited I get. I thought he was a mostly an offensive center with good playmaking talents before he came in, but I'm also seeing now that he's good defensively, very physical and also has a very good shot. He's going to be a fan favorite immediately, you can just tell with him.
and a playoff beast up to this point in his career.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't get your point. How many times has group-think here on HF boards proven out to be wrong. I remember everyone laughing at Vegas and the roster they were building...oops. I remember these boards calling Shero the GOAT after the Iginla trade.

The simple fact of someone questioning the Brassard trade as a whole isn't someone simply trying to be "that guy".

On the surface, it looks like a very good trade. But I haven't studied Brassard throughout his career, more like I have noticed him. I reserve my final judgement until once I focus on him for several games.

It didn't include Sprong, what's left to evaluate?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad