Confirmed with Link: [PIT/OTT/VGK] Brassard/Dunn/Lindberg/3rd for Gustavsson/Cole/1st/3rd for Reaves/4th | VGK ret. 40%

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The alternative was him taking Murray.. not really a favor. It was more of a favor to us to get flowers salary off the books. We should be owing GMGM

No, the alternative was him taking Rust (or someone else we couldn't protect) and JR trading MAF. Or JR actually trying to get something out of GM to allow him the privilege of picking MAF. Again, JR stuck to an agreement he made in good faith in Feb, even when it was probably not in his best interests to do so. But he's a man of his word, and stuck to it.

Reactions: Ryder71

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Ya, I've heard he's not happy about the constant rotation on his wings, but Malkin made more than due with all his cast offs...
While it must be tough, he does lose a little empathy from me for essentially refusing to play with the one winger he consistently looks good with.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think Oduya is the best name listed due to his experience. And unlike Gorges, who’s mostly a healthy scratch or barely plays when he is in the lineup, Oduya is still a regular.

He also comes with a slew of performance bonuses (1.25m). I do not know what they are, however if any of those are met while a Penguin, it would eat into our cap for next season. For that reason alone, I'd probably avoid him.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
Well, the same logic that says the complicated package was necessary because Ottawa is run by Flintheart Glomgold. :laugh:

I don't doubt Sheary was dangled, but I think OTT wanted to save as much cash as possible, hence the shell game.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Great, now my life is incomplete until I see a gif of Glomgold in the Spartan helmet.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
While it must be tough, he does lose a little empathy from me for essentially refusing to play with the one winger he consistently looks good with.

This team has plenty of good wingers now. And one in WBS as well.

Find a couple you like and make it work home fry.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He also comes with a slew of performance bonuses (1.25m). I do not know what they are, however if any of those are met while a Penguin, it would eat into our cap for next season. For that reason alone, I'd probably avoid him.
Ahh yeah... f*** that. Maybe Folin instead.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
This team has plenty of good wingers now. And one in WBS as well.

Find a couple you like and make it work home fry.
Yeah, and it's not like he hasn't played well with a few of those wingers. I really wonder if it's him or Sully driving his wing rotation more. Either way, probably not the right thread.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Brassard didn’t PK in NY?

19 minutes one year, and 13 another... Otherwise he never saw over 6 minutes total in a season. In OTT that makes a lot of sense given who else they had there (JGP/Smith/etc). NY had Stepan and Moore and others as well... so perhaps that made sense.

Isn’t Guentzel a natural center? Have him do it. I don’t want Rowney anywhere near the starting lineup.

He is... and he's PKed a bit this year (almost 18 min). So perhaps that's an option, and that between him, Brassard and Crosby, one of them can take the draw, win it, clear it and get off the ice.

But if we're talking ideal fantasy world shit here - and after getting Brassard for a very reasonable deal, I think we need to be... then getting someone who's a decent center, win draws and PKs... and can play on the wing... I think it's a small move that could have a big impact on the roster down the stretch and into the POs.

Maybe do some one shop shopping in ARI? Pick up Schenn or Connauton and Richardson with 50% retention (that would be 2.0415m if we got Connauton vs Schenn (2.2915m)). We'd be a little short... but perhaps there's ways to max things out. Send down ZAR. And send ARI a body back... Rowney? or Kuhnhackl? Would be tight, but I think it would work. Just. Actual cash in that deal for ARI would be ~240/260k. IDK, just spit balling here. But I'd still like to see another C here just so there's no excuse to dress Rowney. We need someone to PK, dress X and play them on the wing with Sheahan. Someone gets hurt, dress them as the 4C. Rowney, despite what he's done to help us the last 1.5 seasons, should not be playing on this roster. If we're going to go for it... go for it. But that depth C who can PK is by far our biggest weakness up front.... so lets try and do something about it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Reading this makes me think that re-signing Brassard might actually be easy, or at least doable. He says he only has 5 or 6 years left and wants a cup, why not chase cups as the Penguins 3C? You're not going to find a much better situation than that for cup chasing. It's not like they can't afford him either, the cap is going to go up and he probably won't get that much more than he's making now.

Are you comfortable making Brassard a vote player with Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang and Murray? Honestly, yeah, I'd be fine with that. I don't think Brassard is a worse player than Staal, and Staal was considered a core player.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Okay, this is just EPIC and I'd totally forgotten until reading about it . . .

When Brandon Sutter was traded in the summer of 2015, it was for Bonino, Clendening, and a 2nd round pick.

Who was the 2nd round pick?

HINT: There's a reason I'm asking this question in this thread.

Just when you think there's no ******* way good ole' JR can be any more brilliant than he seems right now, you pause for a second to realize that the Brandon Sutter trade just keeps on paying dividends . . .

bD26031.jpg

This man parlayed Brandon Sutter into 2 years of Nick Bonino and the crucial piece to get what will be 2 runs with Derrick Brassard. And, by the way, Clendenning was included with Perron to get Carl Hagelin. Someone justy build the man his statue now.

cc @Mr Jiggyfly, @ColePens, @Scandale du Jour, @DegenX, @HandshakeLin, @EVERYONE

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I would like to see the data that Sid's abuse was lessened. I have watched every game since Reaves (I'm a Blues fan as well and was exicted initially to see him on the Pens) and I didn't really notice players giving Sid any less abuse than usual. Obviously, we'll see how things pan out, but when you can upgrade players on your roster when you're in a win-now mode, you have to go with it and assume Sid is adult enough to know it gives his team a better chance at a 3peat.

IDK... I thought that there was a noticeable decrease in the shit that Crosby and Malkin went through this season vs last season and the one prior. Yes they still got hit and whatnot... but it didn't seem nearly as targeted and blatantly illegal.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

When Brandon Sutter was traded in the summer of 2015, it was for Bonino, Clendening, and a 2nd round pick.

Just when you think there's no ******* way good ole' JR can be any more brilliant than he seems right now, you pause for a second to realize that the Brandon Sutter trade just keeps on paying dividends . . .

bD26031.jpg

cc @Mr Jiggyfly, @ColePens, @Scandale du Jour, @DegenX, @HandshakeLin, @EVERYONE

Gust.

Reactions: KIRK

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I know it's too early for this, but I'm curious: what odds do you give the Penguins on re-signing Brassard after this contract? It seems like the consensus is that they won't, but I'm curious to see what people think.

Slim to none. He would basically have to be content A) with his role behind 87/71 and B) not being able to max out his dollars. However he's made ~38m to date... so maybe that's less of a concern? IDK... but he'd be 32 when his new contract starts... and I struggle to see him signing a reasonable deal to stay here as our #3C. I have more faith that Hornqvist will resign then DB will.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

bD26031.jpg

This man parlayed Brandon Sutter into 2 years of Nick Bonino and the crucial piece to get what will be 2 runs with Derrick Brassard. And, by the way, Clendenning was included with Perron to get Carl Hagelin. Someone justy build the man his statue now.

Clendenning was also part of the Hagelin deal :laugh:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Reading this makes me think that re-signing Brassard might actually be easy, or at least doable. He says he only has 5 or 6 years left and wants a cup, why not chase cups as the Penguins 3C? You're not going to find a much better situation than that for cup chasing. It's not like they can't afford him either, the cap is going to go up and he probably won't get that much more than he's making now.

Are you comfortable making Brassard a vote player with Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang and Murray? Honestly, yeah, I'd be fine with that. I don't think Brassard is a worse player than Staal, and Staal was considered a core player.

I would, but there are so many x-factors between now and then that it's hard to project. This summer alone, re-signing Horny would throw a pretty big wrench in the works.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Slim to none. He would basically have to be content A) with his role behind 87/71 and B) not being able to max out his dollars. However he's made ~38m to date... so maybe that's less of a concern? IDK... but he'd be 32 when his new contract starts... and I struggle to see him signing a reasonable deal to stay here as our #3C. I have more faith that Hornqvist will resign then DB will.

I thought that too, and then I read his quote in the article that WC posted. Suddenly, I'm not so sure about that. The Penguins can pay him just as much as he'd get as a UFA, he'd just be the 3C here. But if he's saying this:

“I feel life is too short, careers are too short and I want to play for the next five to six years and I want to have the chance to win the Cup,"

Why is it wrong to think he could definitely want to stick around?

I would, but there are so many x-factors between now and then that it's hard to project. This summer alone, re-signing Horny would throw a pretty big wrench in the works.

I'm 95% sure Hornqvist isn't going to re-sign. He won his cups, he's going to get his money now. Brassard? He doesn't have a cup yet. I'd sooner sign Brassard than Hornqvist to a big contract.

If Brassard does well for the Penguins this year, I'd honest offer him 4 years at $5-$5.5 million and see if he bites on extending here. Brassard is such a game changer that I think you absolutely have to retain him. If one of Crosby or Malkin get hurt, your center depth is still good with Brassard.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Let him walk in two years. Rebuild ala 14-15, win a cup when Crosby and Malkin enter the twilight years.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Yep, here's six degrees of Brandon Sutter . . .

Sutter

for

2 years of Bonino
Clendenning
2nd

Clendenning
Perron (which had been a 1st)

for

4 runs with Hagelin

AND

That 2nd and an added 1st

for

2 runs with Brassard

BASICALLY, JR LEVERAGED SUTTER AND 2 1STS INTO 2 RUNS WITH BONINO, 2 RUNS WITH BRASSARD, AND 4 RUNS WITH HAGELIN.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
IDK... I thought that there was a noticeable decrease in the **** that Crosby and Malkin went through this season vs last season and the one prior. Yes they still got hit and whatnot... but it didn't seem nearly as targeted and blatantly illegal.

The team also sucked for the 2017 part of the season. Guess which incidents happened once they started playing better?

Perry on Letang, Brown on Schultz, Oshie on Letang.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad