Confirmed with Link: [PIT/OTT/VGK] Brassard/Dunn/Lindberg/3rd for Gustavsson/Cole/1st/3rd for Reaves/4th | VGK ret. 40%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I dojn't know if this got mentioned, but something else good about this trade: the Penguins got Ottawa's 3rd round pick this year, which is basically the equivalent of where their 2nd round pick will be. That's actually pretty nice, they'll have 2 picks in the 55-65 range most likely.

Isn't it in 2019?

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
I went to bed last night reading many different Pens sites and the one thought I saw repeated over and over was "tee hee, thank god Reaves is gone".

Interesting. I noticed our Captain seemed very disconnected last night, did anyone else notice? I also have read that our Captain was very tight with Reaves.
Night in and Night out, Sid has bore the frustration from the league's mindset that it's simply unfair that the Pens have the 2 best Centers in the league on the same team. More so than any other player he routinely is targeted for borderline and sometimes outright dirty play by the opposition. That constant abuse seemed to take a toll on Sid's love for the sport, the same way that it did for Mario. I think JR saw this, especially after the nasty dirty shot to the head by Niskanen.
His response, Reaves; and a certain large % of the fanbase howled in protest. I will also make note one time of this fact, SID's ABUSE TOTAL WAS DRASTICALLY LESSENED THIS SEASON! Granted these complaints were mostly from a younger demographic who own the social media space, but their "opinion" became a mantra that a player like Reaves no longer serves a purpose to a team built on skill and speed. Well.... opinions differ. I accept that you may laugh at my opinion, call me outdated and out of touch, I mean who cares. My opinion is worth the same as any of yours, nothing. But I do wonder what is the opinion of our Captain now that Reaves has been traded??? Does anyone care about that???

On paper, yesterday was another HUGE day for the franchise. It's really hard to complain about a roster that now on paper looks to be the best in the league. But as we all know, it's only on paper.

One thing I can guarantee is that the jealousy of the Pens grew 10 fold yesterday. Team will play nastier against the Pens and yes, the mostly Canadian Refs (who probably are among the biggest trolls here on HF) will once again eat their whistles with that ole Canadian ham & egg'r mindset, "you have to expect to get what you got".

I would like to see the data that Sid's abuse was lessened. I have watched every game since Reaves (I'm a Blues fan as well and was exicted initially to see him on the Pens) and I didn't really notice players giving Sid any less abuse than usual. Obviously, we'll see how things pan out, but when you can upgrade players on your roster when you're in a win-now mode, you have to go with it and assume Sid is adult enough to know it gives his team a better chance at a 3peat.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I stand corrected then. That's actually a very under-noted add for us.

Yeah it's something that's nice. I was saying before the Brassard trade that if the Penguins trade their 1st, I'd want to get back a 2nd just to minimize the pain of not having a 1st. Ottawa's 3rd will be such a high 3rd round pick that it will basically be a 2nd, so that helps a lot.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I would like to see the data that Sid's abuse was lessened. I have watched every game since Reaves (I'm a Blues fan as well and was exicted initially to see him on the Pens) and I didn't really notice players giving Sid any less abuse than usual. Obviously, we'll see how things pan out, but when you can upgrade players on your roster when you're in a win-now mode, you have to go with it and assume Sid is adult enough to know it gives his team a better chance at a 3peat.

You can ignore my opinion and simply listen to the words of JR from yesterday. There is an exact quote as to what Reaves accomplished for the team and I agree with his statement.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Isn’t Guentzel a natural center? Have him do it. I don’t want Rowney anywhere near the starting lineup.

Unfortunately Rowney will be playing wing on the fourth line...it sucks but Sully wants him to take RH face offs and block shots. Either him or Kuhn will be in there to block shots especially now that Cole is gone....

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
reaves was handcuffed by the coach and told he wasn't here to fight but play wing....it's the only possible explanation that seem to fit with his play this year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I know it's too early for this, but I'm curious: what odds do you give the Penguins on re-signing Brassard after this contract? It seems like the consensus is that they won't, but I'm curious to see what people think.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I know it's too early for this, but I'm curious: what odds do you give the Penguins on re-signing Brassard after this contract? It seems like the consensus is that they won't, but I'm curious to see what people think.

If the cap goes up enough and Brassard likes the situation enough maybe he decides to take less, but I don't see the Penguins having the ability to match his open market value as a UFA. I'd put it at 30% or less.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
You can ignore my opinion and simply listen to the words of JR from yesterday. There is an exact quote as to what Reaves accomplished for the team and I agree with his statement.
Reaves was too much of a "gentleman" to be a true enforcer. Everything with him is scripted. He's essentially a newer version of George Laraque. He did nothing while he was here.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If the cap goes up enough and Brassard likes the situation enough maybe he decides to take less, but I don't see the Penguins having the ability to match his open market value as a UFA. I'd put it at 30% or less.

I actually don't think he'll be getting that much of a raise, $5 million for a player of his caliber isn't all that ridiculous. Look at what Turris made on his extension with Nashville, you're probably only looking at an additional $500k increase for Brassard from his current cap hit. The problem is that Brassard on the Penguins will go from $3 million AAV to $5.5 million AAV.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
They'll just have him sign in Vegas and then trade for him with retention. He gets his money. Pens get a lower cap hit. Win-win.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Listen to my words and ignore my actions on making him no longer part of the team as a cap dump.

To be fair, he was requested by GMGM, according to the reports floating around. So, it's less of a cap dump and more of a "well, this isn't working, and somebody else wants him" scenario.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Reaves was too much of a "gentleman" to be a true enforcer. Everything with him is scripted. He's essentially a newer version of George Laraque. He did nothing while he was here.
Who would win in a fight? Laraque in his prime vs Reaves in his?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
reaves was handcuffed by the coach and told he wasn't here to fight but play wing....it's the only possible explanation that seem to fit with his play this year.

Or it could be no one wants to fight a guy that they know that they'll lose to. Reaves' 6 fights with the Pens actually put him on a pace to eclipse his previous two seasons (6 last year and 4 the year before).

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Or it could be no one wants to fight a guy that they know that they'll lose to. Reaves' 6 fights with the Pens actually put him on a pace to eclipse his previous two seasons (6 last year and 4 the year before).
that didn't stop him in st. louie...or atleast that's what I was told.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad