Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Solid on the left side at the NHL level and in our prospect pool.

I think the best case scenario still would be to trade Rutger for an impact RHD. That would really balance out our current and future needs.

On the other hand, I don’t hate the idea of caving to Rutger a little bit, trading Ehlers for help on the backend and restructuring the top 9 a little bit. How about this:

Connor-Scheifele-Vilardi
Mcgroarty-Perfetti-Nino
Barron-Lowry-Appleton

If Mcgroarty or Perfetti struggle, you still have Namestnikov and Iafallo to fill in, if needed. It’s a decent gamble in my books.

Rutger has played 0 NHL games. Any impact RHD would be based on potential impact not actual impact.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

And who were the players comparable to Connor, Ehlers, Perfetti and Nino that they took a spot from? It’s a lot easier to make a bad lineup than it is to make one that is top five.

The org had a direction then and it was a bad team building towards the playoffs with young players. The direction now is try to make the playoffs every year, which usually makes it harder for players to break into the lineup. You may disagree with that direction, but there is one.

Also McGroarty hasn't played more than 39 games in a season. For most college players there's an adjustment to the pro schedule required.

I don’t disagree we are in a sell seats now mode and there is less room for our top D+ 3 prospects but quality ELC’s can be a powerful weapon for teams in the win now mode if the kid has talent.

Either way it’s not like the AHL is a mandatory step if guys have spent multiple years in the NCAA or in Europe.

At this point I am going to remain hopeful Chevy turns a power forward who I deem as our top prospect into a young centre/ or D prospect, (or top 10 draft pick). If we can get “young” equal value back then onward.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Any way you shake it, your top prospect wanting out because he doesn't think the team will develop him properly is horrible news for a team that needs to rely on players drafted and developed to be successful.
IDK - sounds like he wants to skip the development part and jump right into the roster.

Why not play your way into the lineup? I don't buy the notion that the Jets don't provide opportunity to their top prospects - unless the rule is that if you are drafted in the first round, you are automatically in the lineup.
Ville was on his way this season after finally showing enough to be considered an NHL dman - and Perfetti was provided the opportunity with a top 6 spot.
Stan also was provided with that opportunity (and most would say he was given more rope than he deserved).
If you go back and review our roster and the first rounders playing, it looks like we have provided the opportunity to those that played their way in.

I hope this gets sorted out - but if this guy isn't interested in playing his way in, they should be moving him now.
IMO, this isn't a Jet org development issue - but more about a player that wants to take control of a process he is not supposed to be controlling.
Kind of deflates the whole draft process when players then have the option to call the shots.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
While easy to say, not as easy to do. We have three top 6 LW already on the team in KC, Cole, and Nino. Also add in Ehlers who is still here atm. Hard to fit him in on the left. Now maybe they could move Cole to center or RW to make room for him but that would be dependent on them striking out on retaining Monohan and we have no idea what Ehlers returns.

I don't know where McG played last year but he was listed as a RW earlier. Left shot, RW.

Edit: And Cole has played RW for the Jets before. The logjam at LW is not an issue.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't know where McG played last year but he was listed as a RW earlier. Left shot, RW.

Edit: And Cole has played RW for the Jets before. The logjam at LW is not an issue.

Say we trade Ehlers for Necas and reup Monohan. Then there is a massive logjam. Hard to guarantee someone something when you don't know what your roster will be.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Say we trade Ehlers for Necas and reup Monohan. Then there is a massive logjam. Hard to guarantee someone something when you don't know what your roster will be.
One thing that I don't understand is that if Ehlers is so hell bent on leaving, Chevy would know that there's a hole in the top 6 on the left side sometime soon. If Rutger takes that spot, then Chevy can focus on a D or futures as a return in the Ehlers trade

I know TNSE doesn't want to gift anything ro anyone, so I wonder whether or not they see some flaws or inadequacies in Rutger's game that they want him to address

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Something I haven't read yet from any hockey sources is a possible timeline for McGroarty and next season.

Is it his camps plan that if Rutger is traded let's say at the draft to a team like the Hawks, Sharks, etc, that he would not return to the NCAA and sign and play in the NHL this season (24-25)?

Seems like the Jets could either:

1) Trade him now to a team that will put him in the NHL for 24-25
2) Change their minds and offer him a spot in 24-25
3) Try to mend fences and offer him a spot in 25-26 (with an end of season signing to burn a year)
4) Trade him in the summer of 25-26 (could be more risk, but I doubt he's going back to the NCAA for 25-26)

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Something I haven't read yet from any hockey sources is a possible timeline for McGroarty and next season.

Is it his camps plan that if Rutger is traded let's say at the draft to a team like the Hawks, Sharks, etc, that he would not return to the NCAA and sign and play in the NHL this season (24-25)?

3) Try to mend fences and offer him a spot in 25-26 (with an end of season signing to burn a year)
4) Trade him in the summer of 25-26 (could be more risk, but I doubt he's going back to the NCAA for 25-26)

I agree with this. There are lots of options and no guarantee they’re going to trade him for peanuts now, especially for a late first round pick as some are suggesting. The absolute worse case scenario is they wait him out and get a 2nd round pick if he goes UFA. Knowing Chevy’s MO, he’s more likely to kick the can down the road than make a bad deal now.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

not that i think the Jets are some diabolical organization, however, i doubt Rutger signs at all with some type of assurance from the team that he will be in the NHL along with an accompanying move of a current NHL top-6er (maybe top9er) that clearly open up a spot for 2024-2025

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You can never be too careful on here. I'm sure there are people that expect an actual NHL top end defenceman for him.

Perhaps we get that with Ehlers……can you believe the Wild traded Kevin Fiala for Brock Faber (then in his 3rd year at Minnesota) and the 19th OA pick? How does Blake still have a job.

Also shocking the Wild let Faber go strait to the NHL and not spend time in the AHL :sarcasm:

Reactions: voyageur

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Rumor is Leafs are really interested. Kypreos says it would take something like Minten + 2024 First rounder to get a deal done

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Perhaps we get that with Ehlers……can you believe the Wild traded Kevin Fiala for Brock Faber (then in his 3rd year at Minnesota) and the 19th OA pick? How does Blake still have a job.

Also shocking the Wild let Faber go strait to the NHL and not spend time in the AHL :sarcasm:

Yes, they let Faber play an extra year in the NCAA and then signed him to play 2 games before training camp. I'm also sure Faber didn't tell Minnesota "Play me in the NHL or else".

Reactions: blues10

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I dont get it. Friedman says they arent talking. What were they supposed to talk about in the off season after he committed to Michigan a couple months ago?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Can Rutger renege on his announcement that he's returning to Michigan?

That doesn't seem like something that a "character guy" would do... but neither is saying "guarantee me a spot in the NHL or I'm outta here"

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
4th in the NHL is pretty good, could be 17th place team missing the playoffs and praying that the ~16 overall pick will turn around the franchise
regular season is really a false indictor of teams competitiveness, playoffs reveal or unmask deficiencies in real world experience so to speak, 2 sweeps out of the first round playoffs hardly indicate a team is ready to be in contention in any viable sense for the SC. The jets have many holes and players are starting or have reached their peak and are on the downward slope of their career. Trading picks or losings prospects doesnt bode well for the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad