Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Winnipeg also needs to decide if playing a prospect because he demands it is going to sting more.

I see no reason why Winnipeg cannot allow McGroarty to play another season in Michigan and if he develops to their expectation then sign him and guarantee him a roster spot.

Laine was 18 when he made NHL debut,
Ehlers and Trouba were 19
Scheifele, Morrissey and Connor were 20

McGroarty will be 21 next year.

Rutger McGroarty had a great season and after this year, I see NO REASON why they cannot give him a roster spot as a 21 year old if he continues his development.

Reactions: rkp

kenobiwan

Jun 1, 2022
I’m not a mindless bafoon so I will second guess the Jets management as I’ve done since they joined the league. It’s my right as a fan and I shan’t be denied
1719183753750.png

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I see no reason why Winnipeg cannot allow McGroarty to play another season in Michigan and if he develops to their expectation then sign him and guarantee him a roster spot.

Rutger McGroarty had a great season and after this year, I see NO REASON why they cannot give him a roster spot as a 21 year old if he continues his development.

I don't see a reason for that either but by all reports McGroarty thinks he's ready right now and if the Jets disagree then he'll look elsewhere. He seems hellbent against playing in the AHL.

Reactions: wpgallday1960

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
are the jets really that good???...look at the last 2 playoff performances..... they r not in a win now mode..not even close.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
are the jets really that good???...look at the last 2 playoff performances..... they r not in a win now mode..not even close.
4th in the NHL is pretty good, could be 17th place team missing the playoffs and praying that the ~16 overall pick will turn around the franchise

Reactions: Jet

Whileee

May 29, 2010
These are mutually compatible perspectives, in my view:

1. The Jets have made enough good decisions in roster creation and coaching to create a strong team, especially for the regular season.
2. The Jets can trade McGroarty and end up as strong or stronger than they were before the trade.
3. 1. The Jets' coaches have been unnecessarily sluggish at introducing younger players into the line-up, slowing development and assessment and creating rifts with some key prospects and young players. That could hurt them in the longer term, without appreciably improving on-ice performance in the short term.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
No I believe these top tier young players are better today than some vets on the team…. But we want to keep them at a low cost for more of their prime years by holding up some of their younger years to try and maximize the asset… This is about playing the cap and not who is a better player, And top end young players are no longer happy to play that game.
Define "better"

More skilled? Absolutely

Able to jump in and play a pro-ready game? Absolutely not (for the most part)

This isn't NHL Hockey on Playstation where a player is given a number based on their attributes. This is also why perfetti got demoted instead of Appleton. There's more to being effective in the NHL, especially in certain roles, than just pure physical skills

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Define "better"

More skilled? Absolutely

Able to jump in and play a pro-ready game? Absolutely not (for the most part)

This isn't NHL Hockey on Playstation where a player is given a number based on their attributes. This is also why perfetti got demoted instead of Appleton. There's more to being effective in the NHL, especially in certain roles, than just pure physical skills
I think Rutger in the lineup next season over a player like Apples who is a will always be JAG is the exact thing this team should be doing…. Chevy and the brass disagree so I guess he will get his shot somewhere else?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think Rutger in the lineup next season over a player like Apples who is a will always be JAG is the exact thing this team should be doing…. Chevy and the brass disagree so I guess he will get his shot somewhere else?
You'd put Rutger on Lowry's wing playing against the best players in the world every night? I'm sure the captain would appreciate babysitting the entitled 19 year old

And apparently @MardyBum plays a lot of playstation. Now everything makes sense

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Have you ever been shocked at the final roster after a training camp yet?
Serious question
Good question. To be honest no but I’m not sure that’s an indicator all roster spots are pencilled in.

Turn about is fair play: has there ever been a player that DIDN’T make the Jets and whose play in the AHL clearly indicated that was the wrong decision?

Reactions: hockeyarena

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Good question. To be honest no but I’m not sure that’s an indicator all roster spots are pencilled in.

Turn about is fair play: has there ever been a player that DIDN’T make the Jets and whose play in the AHL clearly indicated that was the wrong decision?
Also a good question.
Maybe we aren’t as good as drafting as we thought ( recently )…
I can’t say we have necessarily lost out on any player that hurt us either.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Have you ever been shocked at the final roster after a training camp yet?
Serious question

Agreed, 99% of the roster is set long before camp. Maybe 1 or 2 depth spots are open to be won but usually teams don't want top prospects in those roles.

People put way too much stock in TC performance. Most vets are half assing it to shake off the rust. TC performance doesn't tell you much as the level of competition is far below NHL caliber.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
You'd put Rutger on Lowry's wing playing against the best players in the world every night? I'm sure the captain would appreciate babysitting the entitled 19 year old

And apparently @MardyBum plays a lot of playstation. Now everything makes sense

Of course I play a lot of "Playstation", I'm not 70.

It's been a good decade plus since I played an "NHL Hockey" though :laugh:.

God you sound old and out of touch.

Kyle Connor.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Sure, but that isn't what he apparently wants. If he isn't going to sign here then we need to gwt something done.

But I agree that his skating is likely not good enough yet for him to have the type of impact he'd need to have to displace anyone right now.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
You timed your exit from the NHL games perfectly, there's been a huge drop in quality ever since NHL 14 :(

Probably even before that for me. Late 00's Madden and NHL and then there were just too many other games to put the time into sports games every year.

My kid has me playing FC24 because so many of the kids now are into Soccer, but I can see how bad EA is with sports games even with this being my just my second one :laugh:

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad