Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

kenobiwan

Jun 1, 2022
That's basically telling him you have to earn your spot. I don't know why you wouldn't make that clear at camp that he has to prove worthy of an NHL spot just like any other prospect.
It sounds like the jets wanted him to season with the moose before getting a real shot with the big club. I think that’s where the wall was made….

Reactions: voyageur

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
I don’t think it would be deceptive, but I would tell him if you’re not playing well you are going down for some seasoning with a possible call back. Leave it for him to sink or swim and hopefully his attitude accepts it.

Chevy better have his phone charger handy with a spare nearby. It’s gonna be a busy week for him
Chevy-BadWifi.jpg

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
I'd prefer he earn it in TC before giving him an NHL spot. Doesn't send a good message that a prospect can demand a roster spot before earning it. An opportunity to earn a spot is all he is owed, IMO.
Agreed, generally speaking.

Though, if there is a guy that the organization truly feels can contribute but is simply being allowed to simmer in the AHL for a couple of years until certain contracts are finished on the big club, you need to consider that. In other words, not all prospects are equal. What worked for Heniola (if in fact it even worked) may not work for McGroarty.

kenobiwan

Jun 1, 2022
Not 100% but putting the pieces together that’s what I’m seeing. Rutger wanted a shot right away like his buds, jets development team thought otherwise.

Reactions: Aries56

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Agreed, generally speaking.

Though, if there is a guy that the organization truly feels can contribute but is simply being allowed to simmer in the AHL for a couple of years until certain contracts are finished on the big club, you need to consider that. In other words, not all prospects are equal. What worked for Heniola (if in fact it even worked) may not work for McGroarty.
Again, this is possible but I'm not sure the Jets would send someone to the Moose who clearly out performed more expensive vets in TC. If so that would be a damning indictment of the coaching staff.
Let's not forget the Heinola was apparently going to make the Jets last year before breaking his ankle so it doesn't look like the Jets were burying him in the A in favour of more expensive vets.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Not 100% but putting the pieces together that’s what I’m seeing. Rutger wanted a shot right away like his buds, jets development team thought otherwise.
Look at the organizations his buds were going to. Well out of playoff spots and not expected to contend anytime soon. If McG's team can't see that I question the advice he is getting.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
what does this have to do with my post? I asked why he needs to be traded for pieces?
Sorry read wrong post… But if he is working his way out (as he seems to be doing) we will need to deal his rights and it will most likely not be a 1 for 1 as these types of deals usually don’t work out that way?

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Again, this is possible but I'm not sure the Jets would send someone to the Moose who clearly out performed more expensive vets in TC. If so that would be a damning indictment of the coaching staff.
Let's not forget the Heinola was apparently going to make the Jets last year before breaking his ankle so it doesn't look like the Jets were burying him in the A in favour of more expensive vets.
Almost no chance Villie was not a better option by then end of the season than the 6’6 tree we had on the roster because he was waiver exempt …. That was all about development and holding assets not who was better.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hate to say it but I actually kind of get it from Rutger's perspective. Just look at Perfetti, he will get bridged which kicks the can down the road on a real pay out. If he can navigate himself to a rebuilding team and get a top 6 role he should be able to cash in. At least that is how I would think if I repped him. We cannot like it but since the NCAA route in hockey is the only loophole in North American sports for players to get out of who they are drafted by you have to deal with the consequences of that decision to draft him.

What happens to a CHL player who refuses to sign with the team that drafted him? After 2 years, he goes back into the draft. If he goes undrafted he becomes a FA. If he is redrafted what happens after another 2 years if he still refuses to sign?

I can't think of an instance of that happening. The player gets traded before it goes that far if he is good. If he is not so good the team just drops him and he is a FA. I think that is what would happen if the player just continues to refuse to sign.

So it is up to 4 years that a CHL player is bound to an NHL team. The same as NCAA players. No?

The difference might be the player finding a place to play those last 2 seasons, but I'm sure he could find a spot somewhere. If not the AHL there is the ECHL, Canadian Uni, Europe.

You don't see it happening because that is not generally a good career path.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Look at the organizations his buds were going to. Well out of playoff spots and not expected to contend anytime soon. If McG's team can't see that I question the advice he is getting.
I think the window of contention is open for any team this offseason. The older teams eventually age out, like the Bombers.

That's why I think this might be the offseason to move on from over 30 contracts, with the Jets having Scheif, Lowry, Hellebuyck, Nino, Namestnikov and Iafallo as over 30 players, and hard to believe but Josh turns 30 too next season. Ehlers is looking for an over 30 contract, probably extending to 35/36. Jets need some prospects to fill the void, and their time is now. Disappointing that Mc G didn't want to be part of the equation, but it is possible that both Lambert and Barlow have higher ceilings in Winnipeg.

I think it will be a matter of time that teams like Chicago, Nashville and Utah play faster paced hockey than the Jets if they don't make some room for youth.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I know. That's why I offered another analytic view. There are always anomolies in each perspective. This one seemed more accurate.
so why are you quoting me exactly? i am not the one who posted the ridiculous stat. i don't think that poster needs a babysitter or you white knighting for them.
Off the top of my head, the JFresh model (based on others' models) would rate Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor and Vilardi has our best four forwards.
ok that's fine and dandy. GAR says Namestnikov is roughly = Connor+Scheifele+Lowry so how's that the proper stat to use? i am not the one decided that GAR is the stat du jour.

Last edited:

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Philly caved to Cutter Guthier. They got the best deal they could.

It does look bad on the organization for such a hyped prospect - for his leadership qualities as much as anything - to sour on the team's ability / willingness to get him on the NHL roster.

Perfetti is entering his scoring prime money earning years and was a scratch for the last 1/4 of the season, affecting his next contract.

Heinola will make the team becuase of waiver eligibility. Same reason Stanley played the last half of the season.

By "cave" I meant gifting him a roster spot in the NHL.

If they have to trade him, then, so be it.

kenobiwan

Jun 1, 2022
Yeah I get that but young kids are as entitled as ever. They don’t look at the big picture only them them them

I’ve got high hopes for Barlow now, can’t see him turning on the jets. I would have thought this would have been the Russian kid we would be talking about, not Rutger.

Reactions: wpgallday1960

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
I think the window of contention is open for any team this offseason. The older teams eventually age out, like the Bombers.

That's why I think this might be the offseason to move on from over 30 contracts, with the Jets having Scheif, Lowry, Hellebuyck, Nino, Namestnikov and Iafallo as over 30 players, and hard to believe but Josh turns 30 too next season. Ehlers is looking for an over 30 contract, probably extending to 35/36. Jets need some prospects to fill the void, and their time is now. Disappointing that Mc G didn't want to be part of the equation, but it is possible that both Lambert and Barlow have higher ceilings in Winnipeg.

I think it will be a matter of time that teams like Chicago, Nashville and Utah play faster paced hockey than the Jets if they don't make some room for youth.
I agree with integrating more youth on the roster and hopefully Arniel does that. I’m just not supporting someone totally untested at the NHL level demanding a roster spot.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Fair enough. So in addition to available spots, maybe the thought process on a related note is “we need to move a winger for an area more in need”… and if we want to maximize the return to that area in need, I suppose moving the top piece (McG) is the way to do that.
maybe. however, the Jets typically do not move their prospects, even less so w/ their top ones. there's been what 2 of their own-prospects of note moved? Foley & N. Smith (who was not going to sign). I highly doubt the Jets initiated moving McGroarty when he was billed to have all these intangibles & marketed heavily last year, along with being probably their highest rated prospect. the trade rumors IMO are a results of him saying no to the Jets, not the other way around.

Reactions: jetsfan15

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What prospects have we treated like shit ? If you are going to say Perfetti and Heinola i disagree. Perfetti started the year in our top 6 and went into a slump and got sat for a few games. Do i agree with how long he sat? No. But that was Bowness's decision and he is now gone. Heinola was going to start the year but got injured, should he have gotten a call back up when he got healthy? Probably but we unfortunately had a healthy defense most of the season and lets not forget we were challenging for 1st overall in the NHL most of the season so tough to change things up when you are winning.

Perfetti didn't just sit for a few games. He got 4th lined. Then he sat for 11 games. He got 1 game at the end of the season, scored 2 goals, and got benched for the PO.

I think the Jets bad treatment of prospects is being way overstated, but it does exist. One of the inside reports (Ates?) said that Perfetti and Heinola were specifically mentioned by McGroarty's camp. Doesn't matter whether that is fair or reasonable or not if the perception is out there.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Perfetti didn't just sit for a few games. He got 4th lined. Then he sat for 11 games. He got 1 game at the end of the season, scored 2 goals, and got benched for the PO.

I think the Jets bad treatment of prospects is being way overstated, but it does exist. One of the inside reports (Ates?) said that Perfetti and Heinola were specifically mentioned by McGroarty's camp. Doesn't matter whether that is fair or reasonable or not if the perception is out there.
Sure, but you’d think someone with some common sense in McGs camp would recognize this and relay to him that he will have a fair shot especially under a new coach. If he has confidence in himself he would be willing to prove that he can stick with the Jets.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Sure, but you’d think someone with some common sense in McGs camp would recognize this and relay to him that he will have a fair shot especially under a new coach. If he has confidence in himself he would be willing to prove that he can stick with the Jets.
Who knows maybe seeing his former linemate Lucius struggling down on the farm while Lambert is following the process the Jets want in development spooked him...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Writing was on the wall the moment he committed to UM. Now guys like Mcintyre are embarrassed as they were the only ones who didn't see it coming. And after seeing the return for Gauthier, Chevy is probably looking at some significant returns.

Hate to see it, but this is the state of the game now. Everywhere .

I don't think the return for Gauthier is encouraging at all. It is what has me worried. Drysdale is not living up to his draft position or the hype. Not even close.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Who knows maybe seeing his former linemate Lucius struggling down on the farm while Lambert is following the process the Jets want in development spooked him...
Lucius struggles are mainly due to injury and, again, if McGs camp can’t see that I question their judgement. It seems to boil down to McG not wanting to spend time in the A, which is p somewhat arrogant if you ask me.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad