Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] F Sidney Crosby signs extension with the Penguins (2 years, $8.7M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
It is interesting how in the NHL number of Cups isn't the same legacy meter the way it is in the NBA. If he was an NBA player, he's jumping ship to chase another ring. I don't see it happening in Pittsburgh anytime soon.

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
Pens will regret this contract on the last year of the deal. Too much $ and too much term, the contract will be unmovable on the last year of this deal.

• Haha
Reactions: jfhabs

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
It's not like 8.7 is the only money he will make. There's the sponsorships, commercials, and whatnot.
I recall comming across stats on players how much they made in sponsorships, in Sid’s case I believe it’s an additional 3.5-4 mil per year

It is interesting how in the NHL number of Cups isn't the same legacy meter the way it is in the NBA. If he was an NBA player, he's jumping ship to chase another ring. I don't see it happening in Pittsburgh anytime soon.
The reason you see nba superstars forming super teams because 1-2 nba superstars literally win you championships. 1-2 superstars might get you a cup or two in your teams lifetime. NHL players just don’t impact the game singularity like nba stars do.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Sid has certainly left a lot of money on the table throughout his career. I'm not sure how much of that is selflessness about the team's cap structure and how much is superstition about the 8.7 mil cap hit, but the Pens have certainly been fortunate that he never pressed them for more. While he's surely not strapped for cash considering all his sponsorship and endorsement deals over the years, he certainly seems to be the type who cares more about the game than the paycheck.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Ovechkin’s 50 goal age 36 season was better, and unlike Crosby, Ovie got his team into the playoffs.
Not getting into this, Ovechkin has been one dimensional for a long time. Crosby's been the better player for over a decade.

I'll frame it another way. Crosby's 94 points was the second highest point total for a 36 year old behind Gretzky.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Happy for Penguins fans. It would have stung to see him wearing another uniform. It’s hard not to respect him for choosing a career with one team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad