Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] F Sidney Crosby signs extension with the Penguins (2 years, $8.7M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Interesting note from the Athletic article about Crosby's extension: the only holdup in the extension talks was Crosby wanting to take as much time as possible to decide what term and AAV he wanted. Crosby let the Penguins know his intention to re-sign right after the season and the Penguins made their offer in June (which was probably "2-4 years at any AAV you want"), and it was just Crosby taking all of the time he needed in the off-season to decide on the exact details he wanted.

Which aligns with why we heard literally nothing all off-season, it was literally just Crosby pondering it for months until he let the team know what he wanted. A lot of the Canadian media started creating narratives because they didn't hear anything in the off-season, when in reality it was just Crosby taking all of the time he needed to decide on the exact contract he wanted.

As an aside, it's interesting to see how Dubas handled this negotiation and how it was different than how Hextall handled the negotiations with Letang and Malkin. Letang and Malkin are obviously not Crosby, but Hextall disrespected Malkin to the level of nearly forcing him to go to free agency. Dubas handled this so much better than Hextall did with Malkin and Letang, although that's not saying much because Hextall was horrid :laugh:

As this shows, he got full market value in his first non ELC contract.

Ovechkin got a fair bit more than Crosby did, I think Crosby could have matched Ovi's deal. Hard to say Crosby really gave a "discount" because he took $8.7 million instead of $9.5 million, though.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Ovi’s first non ELC deal was a bit different cause it was for 13 years, so he got long term security but didn’t get the chance to be a UFA in his mid 20s.

Not quite, player max in 07-08 was 10.06m
I didn’t say he got the max. No one does. Matthews got market value for 5 years, even though his cap hit is lower than Draisaitl’s.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Ovi’s first non ELC deal was a bit different cause it was for 13 years, so he got long term security but didn’t get the chance to be a UFA in his mid 20s.

I didn’t say he got the max. No one does. Matthews got market value for 5 years, even though his cap hit is lower than Draisaitl’s.
I would characterize it as he got near full market value back in 07 but as @Empoleon8771 notes above, it was about ~800k per year less than OV. And it immediately became a bargain as the cap continued to rise in subsequent years.

Last edited:

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Very long time ago he use to be a Hab fan. There was some dreaming that IF Habs contend, there may be a case for them to get him and give him another shot at a cup.

Realistcally Habs are not contenders before Crosby is too old to contribute.

As for the signing, it's a home town discount.

Reactions: stanley25

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Very long time ago he use to be a Hab fan. There was some dreaming that IF Habs contend, there may be a case for them to get him and give him another shot at a cup.

Realistcally Habs are not contenders before Crosby is too old to contribute.

As for the signing, it's a home town discount.

Crosby doesn't want to play for the Habs. From the most recent Athletic article:

"Crosby has long desired to finish his NHL career with the Penguins, just as his boyhood hockey idol, Steve Yzerman, who played exclusively for the Detroit Red Wings. Crosby remains close with former Penguins co-majority owner Mario Lemieux, who retains a minority share in the team that drafted him No. 1 in 1984."

It has always about him playing for only 1 team just like Yzerman did.

Reactions: Giskard

Letsdothis

Jun 19, 2024
He could've demanded more for sure. I guess it's a nice novelty that he takes a discount, although Pens aren't going to seriously compete regardless of that exta couple of million in cap space they gain.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Crosby doesn't want to play for the Habs. From the most recent Athletic article:

"Crosby has long desired to finish his NHL career with the Penguins, just as his boyhood hockey idol, Steve Yzerman, who played exclusively for the Detroit Red Wings. Crosby remains close with former Penguins co-majority owner Mario Lemieux, who retains a minority share in the team that drafted him No. 1 in 1984."

It has always about him playing for only 1 team just like Yzerman did.
The dreaming was from Hab fans that he "might" want to play because he use to be a fan.

From that article, obviously not.

I'm not for it because I'm not sentimental about his past. Nor the rumour about Letang.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Sad he's gunna waste the last few years of his career on a shit team with a dumbass for a GM
I totally agree. The pens missed the playoffs by one point under burke and hextall, dubas comes in trades for EK, and they miss the playoffs by more. In the immortal words of Babcock “there will be pain”

• Love
Reactions: JKG33

kugelbahn

Feb 15, 2018
Good deal!
Now his buddies Geno and OV need to add one more year,
it will be weird to see Crosby playing alone :cool:

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I'm not even sure what he pays Pat Brisson for. Draw up a contract for 8.7m, sign it, profit.
I know you're just making a joke but I'm curious what role agents play for players in their lives at various levels.

A contract is of course more than just a number, it's structure, making sure it's insured properly, getting paid in clever ways to pay less tax, NMC, signing bonus etc. Beyond that, I assume the same agent sets up deals for brands like Gatorade and McDonalds or is that another person/agency.

For lesser players, do agents help with investments, mutual funds, retirement plan etc or again is that someone else.

Anyone with good info on what agents do in their entirety? Otherwise, I agree unironically with @Rafafouille, why do superstars even bother when they can just name a number and have a lawyer look the contract over without giving up like 3%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad