Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] F Sidney Crosby signs extension with the Penguins (2 years, $8.7M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Dubas's game plan is clear, and now Sid is inked into it.

• This season: Mini rebuild. Playoffs not the goal. Try out prospects and young reclamation projects on short term deals from other teams. Let the bad ones walk. Trade the OK ones at the deadline, and keep any young gems you find.
  • Next season: Build the foundation. Try to get into the playoffs with the young legs, but don't spend assets yet. Still sell guys on expiring deals that don't fit the long term plans. End of this season is when the dead money and bad contracts fall off.
  • 2 seasons from now: All in. Last year of Sid's deal (though he could sign 1 years after if he wanted). Use your cap space and acquired assets to fill the holes left from the rebuild work of the last two, and try one last swing at it.

Reactions: Dominance

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
So happy to be able to continue to see him play. One of the best and always taking a pay cut so he could have a better team. A true leader and it's sad we only get a few years left to watch him play.

Reactions: brentashton

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Imagine a franchise player taking less than 9M AAV for his entire career, just so he can win. Kids, today, could never.
It's basically been a 19 year contract at the $8.7 mill AAV from when he was 21 to 40. Cap in 08/09 was $56.7 mill and in 26/27 guessing like $95/96 mill. About a $40 mill difference over that time frame.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
NHLPA must be so mad at Sid right now!

I kid. Sid is a legend. Hopefully some more playoff runs coming his way.

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
No more playoffs for Crosby. Sad to see a competitor like this accept defeat.
The guy has won everything there is to in hockey.

It was probably more important for him to retire as a Penguin, serving 20 years - longest captain in history for 1 franchise. One year more than his idol Steve Yzerman

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

• This season: Mini rebuild. Playoffs not the goal. Try out prospects and young reclamation projects on short term deals from other teams. Let the bad ones walk. Trade the OK ones at the deadline, and keep any young gems you find.
  • Next season: Build the foundation. Try to get into the playoffs with the young legs, but don't spend assets yet. Still sell guys on expiring deals that don't fit the long term plans. End of this season is when the dead money and bad contracts fall off.
  • 2 seasons from now: All in. Last year of Sid's deal (though he could sign 1 years after if he wanted). Use your cap space and acquired assets to fill the holes left from the rebuild work of the last two, and try one last swing at it.
Tank in 2026, get Gavin McKenna, go from there.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Crosby will probably retire when he no longer plays at a level where he can get paid 8.7mil AAV.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Quite FRANKLY, GREAT American people. Sidney Crosby is the greatest American since Abraham Lincoln! They say he’s Canadian but we ALL know that Canada is just an extension of America! 2 MORE years!

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
Great deal for the Pens. Its the way it should be. Entire career in Pittsburgh. Legend. Will enjoy watching him until he finally decides its time to hang them up.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
He has already won multiple cups. I think that a greater boost to his legacy would be to stick it out with the Penguins and mentor their next wave of players.

I doubt he is going anywhere, but the term of this contract does give them the option to move on if that is what he wants to do.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Infuriatingly good deal.

If Brison didnt have half the stars in the league as clients, he might hate Crosby :laugh:

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018

Or, this was just a deal to keep Sid in Pittsburgh until he retires?

Dubas is delusional if he thinks he can build a cup-contending team 2 seasons from now (when his already aging core is another 2 years older, for one).

Otherwise, great to see Sid re-sign and almost certainly retire as a Penguin.
Legend.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I tell you, when Crosby broke into the league, I did not like the guy - thought he was overhyped, a whiner, had too much coverage, etc. Now all these years later, I was happy to be proven wrong - this guy is not only a winner, but he is a humble, exceptionally consistent, superb ambassador of the game, who has always put his team first ahead of him getting the accolades.

To have him finish his career in Pittsburgh in a deal that will not break the bank and at a time where he would easily demand more, has led me to continue to respect this guy, for which I now have five of his jerseys. Very happy to have seen this legend's career from start to finish within in my lifetime. What a treat it has been to watch him play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad