Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] F Sidney Crosby signs extension with the Penguins (2 years, $8.7M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
Sid has certainly left a lot of money on the table throughout his career. I'm not sure how much of that is selflessness about the team's cap structure and how much is superstition about the 8.7 mil cap hit, but the Pens have certainly been fortunate that he never pressed them for more. While he's surely not strapped for cash considering all his sponsorship and endorsement deals over the years, he certainly seems to be the type who cares more about the game than the paycheck.
As much as I love crosby I dont think he has knowingly or intentionally left money on the table until now. His first extension in 2008-9 was a higher % of the cap than Matthews' in 19-20, and his second extension was signed after the two seasons where he missed about 100 combined games with that head/neck injury, its also pretty front loaded (12 mil for the first 3 years, 9-10 for the next 6, and 3 mil each for the last 3) so he gets paid really really well when his career longevity was in question. This time he once again re-ups a year in advance and if crosby doesn't majorly decline between now and the end of it its a bargain, but hes made a fortune so leaving maybe 4 mil on the table is nothing compared to being a pen for life.

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
I love the “they’re trash” and “waist of his final years” comments as if we Pens fans didn’t get to enjoy 2 decades of the best hockey player on earth for his generation. Maybe you’re right, but I wouldn’t trade those 3 cups for anything and I’m sure Sid’s decision was based on I don’t have to chase anything and spend his last 3-5 years team hoping to try and win.

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Ovechkin’s 50 goal age 36 season was better, and unlike Crosby, Ovie got his team into the playoffs.
This is just pathetic crowbarring of worthless stats.
At least mention something about defensive liability.

Tomorrow evening we start again.
s-l1200.jpg

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
This guy left so much money on the table in his career, and I’ll always respect him for not being greedy, but man. I understand before this because it helped the Penguins win those back to back Cups, but now? Give the man his bag to make up for it a little. I guess he just doesn’t care to push for it at this stage, which I understand, but I think he’s still worth $10M+ AAV for these 2 years. His last deal should’ve been for $10M+ AAV as well. I’d rather he have the money than Penguins ownership.

Which brings me to an interesting side note; his era counterpart in the NBA is now part owner of the Penguins. The fact that their careers overlapped and that’s where they are relative to each other now is crazy. The difference in money between the two sports is insane.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I’m mostly just happy he decided to keep playing. I remember there was a lot of talk he was going to hang them up after this contract.

Reactions: saska sault

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Ovechkin’s 50 goal age 36 season was better, and unlike Crosby, Ovie got his team into the playoffs.
Not even close lol. Crosby is so painfully better than Ovechkin all time its kind of embarassing at this point to even compare them. Looking forward to ovechkin once again going below a ppg something hes been doing since he was 26 n crosby having his 20th straight ppg+ season

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
As much as I love crosby I dont think he has knowingly or intentionally left money on the table until now. His first extension in 2008-9 was a higher % of the cap than Matthews' in 19-20, and his second extension was signed after the two seasons where he missed about 100 combined games with that head/neck injury, its also pretty front loaded (12 mil for the first 3 years, 9-10 for the next 6, and 3 mil each for the last 3) so he gets paid really really well when his career longevity was in question. This time he once again re-ups a year in advance and if crosby doesn't majorly decline between now and the end of it its a bargain, but hes made a fortune so leaving maybe 4 mil on the table is nothing compared to being a pen for life.
Crosby could have gotten way more on his second contact, don't kid yourself. He was the unanimous best player in the sport and had just led the league in ppg 3 seasons in a row by a percentage margin only surpassed by Gretzky.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Crosby will have earned like 160 million with his salary n plus all his endorsements. Easily over 200+ million in his career. He is set for life and so are his potdntial kids, grand kids, great grand kids etc. Good on him for taking less n trying to win a 4th cup.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Proof that hockey players are disconnected from the real world? They can handpick their salary based on some superstition and numerology. Actually, they even agree to take a discount based on the same reasons.

I wish Crosby was taking a discount because :
- He wants to help his team salary cap and get better players
- He wants fans to pay less for tickets and hot dogs
- He feels hockey players are overpaid compared to more useful professions
- He wants the Pens to spend the usused cash on charity.

But no. The driving force motivating him to stick to 8,7 millions is that his number is 87. Wooouuuhh!

• Haha
Reactions: sanscosm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad