Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] F Sidney Crosby signs extension with the Penguins (2 years, $8.7M AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yeah he lead the league in Points per game because he missed almost 100 games over the last 2 years. And he still had the second highest cap hit, and second highest salary in the league. (Ovi had a higher cap hit, Shea Weber had a higher salary because of the offersheet from the flyers). How much more realistically do you think he could have gotten on a 12 year deal that was gonna take him to the age of 38 when he was coming off of a 2 year stretch that put his entire future in jeopardy?
Do you think if he played more games in his prime/peak, that his points per game would've dropped?

This is a weird take.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
12-year back-diving contracts FTW

his first 8 years of that contract, he averaged 10.8 million
So, the back diving contract still cost Sid money. Quite a bit.

As you mentioned he averaged 10.8 m over the first 8 years of that deal. Which was about 16.4% of the cap at the time of signing.

This summer, that would have been approximately 13.5m per year. Fair to good value for the team.

But, his contract would have expired at the end of the 21-22 season. And I think he could have easily been worth a 5 year 50 m deal at that time. Instead he made 9m combined for the 22-23, 23-24 and 24-25 seasons. So at least 21m lost there.

Yes he took advantage of the backdiving deals to give his team a cap advantage but he lost real dollars in the process. As was pointed out earlier very few players intended on playing those last 3 years while Sid was still a top 10 player during them.

Credit where credit is due.

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
Way to not get a couple more cups! Boo. He is a great player and will go down as one of the best but his loyalty hurt an even greater career. I don't hate the Pens but as a hockey fan this is a sad way to limp out.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Way to not get a couple more cups! Boo. He is a great player and will go down as one of the best but his loyalty hurt an even greater career. I don't hate the Pens but as a hockey fan this is a sad way to limp out.
These takes are so bad.

He’s already won everything he can possibly win, multiple times. If you were paying attention last year, he came within a game of carrying the Pens to the playoffs by himself while having one of the most impressive statistical seasons ever for someone at his advancing age.

What exactly is an extra Cup in a lesser role on another team going to do for his legacy?

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

As you mentioned he averaged 10.8 m over the first 8 years of that deal. Which was about 16.4% of the cap at the time of signing.

This summer, that would have been approximately 13.5m per year. Fair to good value for the team.

But, his contract would have expired at the end of the 21-22 season. And I think he could have easily been worth a 5 year 50 m deal at that time. Instead he made 9m combined for the 22-23, 23-24 and 24-25 seasons. So at least 21m lost there.

Yes he took advantage of the backdiving deals to give his team a cap advantage but he lost real dollars in the process. As was pointed out earlier very few players intended on playing those last 3 years while Sid was still a top 10 player during them.

sure, he took the security of a 12-year deal (possibly because of the concussions he suffered in 2011 and 2012) but there's a 0% chance he makes 8.7mil on an 8-year deal in today's CBA
I mean, his first 8.7 mil deal after his ELC was only 5 years but took up 15.34% of the cap at the time

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

He took the security of signing a 12 year contract in July 2012 after two seasons where he missed 101 out of 164 regular season games due to head injuries and ongoing concussion symptoms.

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
These takes are so bad.

He’s already won everything he can possibly win, multiple times. If you were paying attention last year, he came within a game of carrying the Pens to the playoffs by himself while having one of the most impressive statistical seasons ever for someone at his advancing age.

What exactly is an extra Cup in a lesser role on another team going to do for his legacy?
A ring for every finger! Now he's on a bad team till he retires. As a hockey fan I want to see the best players in the playoffs.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Pens aren't close to a cup. That's an aging declining team haven't made playoffs in several years. If Syd wants a cup he'll have to request trade in near future
Sounds like a considerable challenge - something Crosby's never shied away from.

Most things worth doing are difficult.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
ow about one Jeff Skinner at 50% retention? We will take back Tavares or someone else expensive so you get some cap this year for D/G and some goals back. You can have assets depending on who is included. I

He could have gotten over 10M+ easily on a shorter than 12 years deal, like a real short 5 years deal, and then he could have gotten even more than that for the next contract.
Maybe, but then if he gets injured again like the last time his career is over and he loses out on 50 mil. its easy to say what he could have done in hindsight but in 2012 crosby's future was in doubt.
Do you think if he played more games in his prime/peak, that his points per game would've dropped?

This is a weird take.
Maybe, I mean hes shooting well above his average in 2010-11 before he gets hurt, so its possible, but thats not the issue or point i'm trying to make.

again, we have to look at the structure of that deal through the lens of the time it was signed. There was a reasonable possibility that crosby not only didn't play those 3 years, but that he didn't play some of the years before those as well. He has obviously out performed projections. I think he got paid a pretty fair market price for who he was at every point in his career, now hes probably leaving a 2 mil on the table per season, but back then he was one of the highest paid players in the league when he signed that deal (in salary and cap hit) despite having a big injury hanging over his head.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I can't believe people still have the fantasy that Crosby is going to want to play for a team other than Pittsburgh. He doesn't and he won't.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
It is interesting how in the NHL number of Cups isn't the same legacy meter the way it is in the NBA. If he was an NBA player, he's jumping ship to chase another ring. I don't see it happening in Pittsburgh anytime soon.
With 3 cups, a plethora of personal, team, league and international accomplishments, I don't get why Crosby would want to "chase" another cup with another team. If he never won a cup, perhaps it is understandable, but honestly, what else does he have to prove? Easily first ballot hall of famer and will get his number retired when the time comes.

Sure everyone wants to win, but I think for him, having a lifelong legacy in Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh alone will just cement his already impressive contribution to the game and will be in the hearts of fans in Pittsburgh and around the league. I commend him for staying put and riding out the rest of his career, perhaps in a mentoring role for the next generation of players. I know that if I was an up and coming young player, I would absolutely take heed of what one of the all time greats will have to dispense, advice wise.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Young kids in today’s game should learn from Crosby. For a great player like that, he has never been about money or trying to bleed his franchise dry for every penny. He could have asked for a lot more, and the Pens would have given it to him.
Lol, yeah I’m sure a few million more per year would’ve bankrupted the billionaire owners of the Penguins.

In reality, Crosby’s entire career earnings are like a rounding error for them.

I’m not going to get too much into it, or criticize him too much for it because I know his heart is in the right place, and he’s just a great guy in general, but Crosby’s willingness to sign bargain deals is actually a disservice to not just his fellow NHL players, but future players as well.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In the grand scheme of things, all this means is Sid has decided to keep playing (in the NHL) for another 2 years, following this upcoming season. Ending any speculation, this coming year, would be the end of the line for Sid.

So, we can be sure he signed this deal with every intention to remain in Pittsburgh, but it’s not the only reason he signed it. He’s keeping the hockey media out of his daily life over the next year. The insanity by Xmas time would’ve been something like we haven’t seen before.

Whether he remains in Pittsburgh for the entire 3 years, is likely a moving needle from here on out…

No matter what anyone says this week, he’s not going to stay on a sinking ship, held together by Kyle Dubas. Especially if he sees guys like Stamkos and Kane having a blast, playing for these teams on the rise.

So whatever “feel good” things are said this week, if they have a complete garbage season in 24-25’, you watch how fast the narrative changes, regarding the rest of Sid’s career. Not everyone gets to be Sakic and Yzerman. It’s extremely rare. Like I said, I’m sure that’s the plan today, but I’m sure he’s been given assurances, they will move him, if that’s what he wants to do. Even before his new deal takes effect. Guaranteed that was discussed.

Honestly don’t know if it effects his trade value very much at all. If he leaves Pittsburgh, he’s choosing the destination. That always effects things. I’m sure whatever team he would decide to go to, would come up with fair compensation. A team would still be adding a diminishing, over 35 contract, at $8.7 million. Even if it is Sidney Crosby.

There’s just too many good young teams in the East, on top of the great teams already there. In a year or two from now, the Eastern Conference might be the strongest conference we’ve ever seen, and the Penguins will likely be towards the bottom of those standings. One reason why, there’s a good chance he does move on, and if he does, he’s probably going West, as well.

Whether that’s Vancouver, Dallas, Vegas, Colorado or Nashville, we’ll see. I’d wager it’ll be one of those five teams.

Who knows though. Maybe Pittsburgh surprises us all. Unfortunately for them to get any better, and they will try, they’re going to have to move any young assets they have. They have no choice.

At the end of the day, for all those thinking he’d never sign this deal if he was just gonna want out next summer?

Signing this new contract, is just to send the message, he’s gonna be around for 3 more years. It keeps the media frenzy from following his every move, and let’s him concentrate on hockey. Which his intention is to stay in Pittsburgh. Don’t for one minute though, think Sidney Crosby isn’t going to be that same competitor he’s always been.. That competitive nature won’t allow him just to cash out, playing on a garbage team.

There’s still a very good chance 18 months from now, Sidney Crosby’s no longer playing in Pittsburgh. I’d wager, he’ll go through this season, miss the playoffs, and after next season starts just as badly, that’s when we’ll start hearing the rumblings. Then he spends his last two playoff runs, with a Western team.

It’s all gonna depend on how the Pens performs over the next 15-16 months. If they’re competitive, he’ll stick around. Good luck on that being the case though.

Crosby is not being traded. He explicitly only wants to play for 1 team in his career, because his idol Yzerman did the exact same with the Red Wings.

He's not being traded, even if the Penguins are dead last in the NHL.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Lol, yeah I’m sure a few million more per year would’ve bankrupted the billionaire owners of the Penguins.

I’m not going to get too much into it, or criticize him too much for it because I know his heart is in the right place, and he’s just a great guy in general, but Crosby’s willingness to sign bargain deals is actually a disservice to not just his fellow NHL players, but future players as well.
If I can perhaps offer a different take on this.

I would say it is refreshing for a player to be self-less, not selfish, in thinking of his team first, rather than maximizing his own earnings. There is no doubt an argument to be made for the latter, given how relatively short an NHL career can be. But I think there is still virtue in self-sacrifice and looking at the overall picture of the team, where he fits in and the potential inherent at present in the team. I commend him for taking less when he could have no doubt gotten more elsewhere and would dare be so bold to say this too is something for which up and coming young players can learn from Crosby, insofar as seeing the forest from the trees.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003

Players will make 50% of the revenue no matter what Crosby signs for. If anything him taking less, gives other players more.

He took the security of signing a 12 year contract in July 2012 after two seasons where he missed 101 out of 164 regular season games due to head injuries and ongoing concussion symptoms.

Even so, a 25 year old Crosby could have gotten whatever he wanted on the open market. Or even ask for a 15 year deal with even more money up front. No matter how you slice it, he left tens of millions on the table.

Reactions: sanscosm

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Players and the players association aren't worried about what Crosby signs for. He is no longer the market setter, that belongs to McDavid, he will be the one they are disappointed in for taking a discount.

Crosby at his age and his length of time with the team is in a different category. No one is going to start paying mid 30's players 11 million a season just cause Crosby could have signed for it. None of those guys are Crosby.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
sure, he took the security of a 12-year deal (possibly because of the concussions he suffered in 2011 and 2012) but there's a 0% chance he makes 8.7mil on an 8-year deal in today's CBA
I mean, his first 8.7 mil deal after his ELC was only 5 years but took up 15.34% of the cap at the time
With any other player that might be true, but I think people are really ignoring just how superstitious Crosby is about that particular number. Every single indication during his entire NHL tenure suggests he'd be fine with that AAV because he's just that superstitious.

The guy takes his superstitions to almost mental levels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad