Value of: Pick #13. BUF looking for top 4 RD

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I would imagine that Danny Briere will probably be trading Provorov (and DeAngelo) this summer, or at least, between this summer and next summer. Does Provorov fit the bill? Two-way minute-eating defenseman who could play a more defensive role paired with Power or Dahlin. Drafted 8 summers ago (so around 26 years old -ish) and UFA in 2025.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I would imagine that Danny Briere will probably be trading Provorov (and DeAngelo) this summer, or at least, between this summer and next summer. Does Provorov fit the bill? Two-way minute-eating defenseman who could play a more defensive role paired with Power or Dahlin. Drafted 8 summers ago (so around 26 years old -ish) and UFA in 2025.
Buffalo does not need a top 4 LD.

Dangelo isn’t a D first D

that is before addressing their other issues.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Let circle back to Roy and we will also send you hometown boy Alex Iafallo for 13 and whatever other picks and prospects to even it out
I'd be in favor of Iafallo but Buffalo already traded for Greenway and I don't think the front office wants to add much cap after a Dman, if any. I'm all for working out a deal for Roy though. He's my top target for role/purpose vs availability and cost.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Hear me out...

Roy
Iafallo
Petersen
2024 LAK #1

2023 BS #1
Ryan Johnson

Sabres buyout Petersen, 5 million the 1st year but Sabres have the space to afford it.

Kings free up the salary to re-sign Korpisalo and Gavrikov.

Sabres trade Peterka/Olofsson/UPL/Bryson to Chicago for the Lightning 1st rounder (assuming it's at 20 and TB doesn't make the conference finals) and Roos.

Skinner Thompson Tuch
Iafallo Cozens Quinn
Greenway Mittelstadt Savoie
Girgensons Krebs Okposo
Jost/Hinostroza

Samuelsson Dahlin
Power Roy
Stillman Joker
Roos Lyubushkin

Levi
Hill (UFA)
Comrie

Draft Simashev at 20, two 1st in the 2024 draft. Petersen hurts year one but Sabres have the cap space, negligible hits years 2/3/4. Sign Roy long term.

Reactions: YP44

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hear me out...

Roy
Iafallo
Petersen
2024 LAK #1

2023 BS #1
Ryan Johnson

Sabres buyout Petersen, 5 million the 1st year but Sabres have the space to afford it.

Sabres trade Peterka/Olofsson/UPL/Bryson to Chicago for the Lightning 1st rounder (assuming it's at 20 and TB doesn't make the conference finals) and Roos.

Skinner Thompson Tuch
Iafallo Cozens Quinn
Girgensons Krebs Okposo
Jost/Hinostroza

Samuelsson Dahlin
Power Roy
Stillman Joker
Roos Lyubushkin

Levi
Hill (UFA)
Comrie

Draft Simashev at 20, two 1st in the 2024 draft. Petersen hurts year one but Sabres have the cap space, negligible hits years 2/3/4. Sign Roy long term.

That's a huge cap favor to the Kings taking both Petersen AND Iafallo.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Iafallo at $4M is a good value deal IMO. He is a very good two way winger.

On that I agree. And there are some Kings fans who have thrown him into multiple deals as a way of clearing cap space so I would also question Buffalo taking on $9M in cap from the Kings in this deal beyond just the defenseman that they want.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
On that I agree. And there are some Kings fans who have thrown him into multiple deals as a way of clearing cap space so I would also question Buffalo taking on $9M in cap from the Kings in this deal beyond just the defenseman that they want.
He is included in a lot of offers because he has value, LA needs to clear cap, and LA has a lot of forwards coming up that they need to fit in.

All season whenever a line needed a jump start Iafallo seemed to be the guy who could help there. I would move Arvidsson before him.

Reactions: dman3474

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
He is included in a lot of offers because he has value, LA needs to clear cap, and LA has a lot of forwards coming up that they need to fit in.

All season whenever a line needed a jump start Iafallo seemed to be the guy who could help there. I would move Arvidsson before him.
Buffalo has the same problem, I doubt if acquiring Iafallo would even be on their radar. I wouldn't be opposed to eating that Petersen deal if it brought the price down on Roy but I strongly suspect ownership wouldn't be a big fan of that.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Hear me out...

Roy
Iafallo
Petersen
2024 LAK #1

2023 BS #1
Ryan Johnson

Skinner Thompson Tuch
Iafallo Cozens Quinn
Girgensons Krebs Okposo
Jost/Hinostroza

Samuelsson Dahlin
Power Roy
Stillman Joker
Roos Lyubushkin

Levi
Hill (UFA)
Comrie

You want Buffalo to give you the 13th overall pick and eat 2 cap dumps??? Yeah, no.

Reactions: Chainshot

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
You want Buffalo to give you the 13th overall pick and eat 2 cap dumps??? Yeah, no.
again who are the two cap dumps? I see one.
Iafallo may not be a need but he is far from a cap dump

Buffalo has the same problem, I doubt if acquiring Iafallo would even be on their radar. I wouldn't be opposed to eating that Petersen deal if it brought the price down on Roy but I strongly suspect ownership wouldn't be a big fan of that.
This is fair, that deal with Iafallo would never happen. It is so complex.

Keep this simple.
Roy for 13OA

LA than uses either 13OA or 2024 first to get out of Petersen

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
again who are the two cap dumps? I see one.
Iafallo may not be a need but he is far from a cap dump

This is fair, that deal with Iafallo would never happen. It is so complex.

Keep this simple.
Roy for 13OA

LA than uses either 13OA or 2024 first to get out of Petersen
13OA seems steep for a guy with one year left on his contract. I do like the player though.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Faulk, no.

Parayko I'd need to know more about his health. Long, long contract.

He had health issues for about 1 and half seasons, but recently doesn't seem to suffer from long term effects.

Mostly he is a good top-4 D, sometimes good top pairing given the right partner. The biggest thing he has been missing since 2019 is a smooth skating and rock solid partner, like Bowemeester. He is not at the level where he can carry a pairing while handling prime miniutes, so marginal partners like Scandella and the like won't show him in the best light. Although he has been fine with Leddy, he would fit best with someone mobile and defensively sound like Jaybo, which made a monster pairing that can shut down basically any opposition.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
He had health issues for about 1 and half seasons, but recently doesn't seem to suffer from long term effects.

Mostly he is a good top-4 D, sometimes good top pairing given the right partner. The biggest thing he has been missing since 2019 is a smooth skating and rock solid partner, like Bowemeester. He is not at the level where he can carry a pairing while handling prime miniutes, so marginal partners like Scandella and the like won't show him in the best light. Although he has been fine with Leddy, he would fit best with someone mobile and defensively sound like Jaybo, which made a monster pairing that can shut down basically any opposition.

his injury history is the type that has a high level of risk or recurrence.

Reactions: Sabresruletheschool

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
given Gavrikov cost about that at the deadline with only 20 games left not sure it is too much of an ask.
Well the 1st was conditional on the Kings making the playoffs (which obviously means there's a pretty wide range that pick could land in) and was attached to a salary dump in Quick, but sure the value isn't likely to be that far apart.
I don't blame teams with good defenseman asking for high returns but I have zero desire to see the Sabres pay deadline prices in the offseason.
Just as a thought experiment would Buffalo be better off overpaying a vet like Mayfield, Severson, Graves, or even Gavrikov for nothing but money or by using a 13th overall pick on a guy one year from free agency that will demand a similar contract to those guys in order to stay. Right now I'm leaning towards overpaying the guy in free agency.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

IMO Parayko would be a great fit next to Power (who at least a couple people have likened to a very tall Bouwmeester). Plus, he'd be back to the 2nd pairing behind a true #1 D, which I think would also help him shine the way he did for the Blues before Pietro before town. His age + length of contract would give me a bit of pause, but he's otherwise a very solid fit for what the Sabres need.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
There’s not a lot of options and many named, probably aren’t available. That said, they should absolutely be in the market.

Like the Habs and Detroit, every move they make in the near future, has to take into account the size, speed and skill factor this division is building upon. Whether it’s the giant blue liners Detroit will have, or Ottawa’s forward crop, and obviously what’s already proven in the division, they have to be looking for size in almost every move. Any smaller player better be built like a rock.

In this case, they don’t necessarily have to give up that 13th overall. If they go after an Andersson (Calgary) or a Carlo, it will have to be part of the deal. Both likely cost a little more.

If they go with a Mayfield or a Schenn, obviously
those are UFAs and would be nice fits to play with Power.

Then there’s a player like Tanev who would be a great fit, likely costing less than that 13th overall.

One thing they want to stay away from is a “Pair Leader” who is best playing with a supporting role player. A player like Holl, who’s like Ben Chiarot in many ways. If he’s playing with a role player type, they could lead a pair, but cause some issues when they play with top-end, pair leaders. It’s why Chiarot is a partner killer half the time.

There’s a reason managers fall in love with those types. They have all the things you look for. They’re just not top-end but sometimes think they are on the ice. They’re better players leading a 3rd pair, instead of being a supporting player for high-end partners.

They need a top-end role playing dman. Andersson and Carlo are two of the best in that regard. They can play with a kid like Power, and let him lead the pair. The problem is, if either becomes available, the market will be huge. Detroit for example is looking for the same type to play with Edvinsson.

Tanev might be the best fit for a player who could be available. Probably costs two 2nds. Carlo is probably the best overall fit to come in and play for years with Power. Just think Boston is stupid trading him.

Out of all who they might have a chance obtaining, Tanev is probably the most logical. So either a 2nd and a nice prospect, or two 2nds probably gets it done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad