Value of: Pick #13. BUF looking for top 4 RD

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Charts and advanced stats certainly aren't perfect. But even an imperfect measurement that is at least based on real data is far more useful than the opinions of HFboards posters based on nothing but their own feelings.

The charts say that Pesce was excellent defensively his first 4 seasons in the league, but has struggled comparatively in 3 of the last 4.

If this is the "all in trade" that the Sabres can only afford to make once, I'd rather target someone who has been more consistent in recent years and would cost about the same to acquire. Pesce is a big upgrade on Joker, but if we're going big game hunting there are better options.

I believe that shift in those stats correspond to him not being Slavin's regular partner any more.

Reactions: BFLO and Zman5778

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Zadorov reunion is an interesting idea. He’s not what I’m looking for stylistically but it would look fun to have another big dude out there. I like to collect big players just to see how many more it takes for local media to keep calling the team small. We aren’t there yet.

I’m assuming he’s matured as a person the last several years?

Reactions: Matt Ress

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Zadorov reunion is an interesting idea. He’s not what I’m looking for stylistically but it would look fun to have another big dude out there. I like to collect big players just to see how many more it takes for local media to keep calling the team small. We aren’t there yet.

He's much better in a structured defensive team which means he'd probably not fit the Sabres models for effective guys for what they do. But it would liven the divisional rivalry games up to have a giant, dirty facebreaker on the team.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He's much better in a structured defensive team which means he'd probably not fit the Sabres models for effective guys for what they do. But it would liven the divisional rivalry games up to have a giant, dirty facebreaker on the team.
The thing about Power’s partner to me is that I just need someone who can do SOMETHING. Joker isn’t physical…his passes are turnovers…his point shots are turnovers…he doesn’t know which way to look in his own end. He’s pretty good at defending odd man rushes for some reason.

If someone is going to be dragged along by Power just give me something. Hit something. Clear someone out of the crease. Know you can pass to your own team. Something.

I’ve given up hope Adams will land an all around two way compliment. So I’ll take will hit people and live with it.

Reactions: elchud

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Zadorov is interesting. According to him, he loved his time in Buffalo as short as it was. His wife thanked me for not insulting him.

Those two not-hockey related reasons make me want him back.

Reactions: Matt Ress

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
Only 11% of NHL players are currently playing past the age of 33.

And of that 11%, a lot of them are injured more than they play or playing at a level that is a far cry from their 29-30 aged seasons.

Most players heavily decline between 31 and 33.

Assuming Parayko, a player with back injury history will be one of the outliers that will be healthy and not decline by 33 is not good odds. It could happen, but it is a long shot.
Lol back injury history he missed a hand full of games with back soreness. But yeah history....lmfao

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Lol back injury history he missed a hand full of games with back soreness. But yeah history....lmfao
He missed a quarter of a season.

It was reported that he had a bulging disc and there was concern that it could be career threatening (that was how it was reported in the media at the time, I am not speculating or making this up, a simple internet search will confirm all of that).

If those reports were all false, I missed that.

I am not a Blues fan so I don't follow them, and if I just repeated a faulty injury report, my apologies, but I am not seeing anything that says it was a misleading report. Perhaps if you have a link stating otherwise you could share.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

It was reported that he had a bulging disc and there was concern that it could be career threatening (that was how it was reported in the media at the time, I am not speculating or making this up, a simple internet search will confirm all of that).

I am not a Blues fan so I don't follow them, and if I just repeated a faulty injury report, my apologies, but I am not seeing anything that says it was a misleading report. Perhaps if you have a link stating otherwise you could share.
It doesn't matter. There's no way Adams touches that contract. Certainly not for the price they're asking in this thread. Pay to get in, pay to get out. No thank you.l

Reactions: Irie

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I’d rather sign a Soucy/Mayfield/Severson then trade #13 for Connor Murphy or Matt Roy. I like both of them a lot but damn that just seems like a silly price when we could sign just sign a comparable defender and use the pick.
UFAs rarely match the value of the contracts they are given.

Better options will be available via trade. Adams has more offensive assets than he knows what to do with.

A trade seems too obvious at this point.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Sabres dont need to give out Jack Campbell or Kyle Okposo contracts. Cap space is still scarce particularly for the best NHL teams. Just sign the right players. I would be upset with 6 year contracts, or any deal 4.5 and above. Can still sign Adam Larsson or Tatar value deals.

Reactions: Chainshot

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
I doubt Vegas would trade him but if they don't have a good playoffs and want to re-tool, they'll need to shed a bit of cap.

Theodore would be perfect for the Sabres.

1st, Jokiharju, Olofsson at 50% for Theadore maybe?

Similar cap in, cap out, Vegas add a 2nd pairing RHD behind Pietrangelo and add a guy who will score 20 goals next year, plus then have 2 x 1sts for trades to upgrade other areas.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Half the league is looking for RD so you’ll likely have to bid more if you want one. Most people here want first pairing when there giving up there first despite saying top 4 and most teams don’t want to give up a top 4 d for a mid first unless there going into the last year and won’t resign.

Even from the habs who have a gut of NHL defenseman we’ve only got savard, kovacevic and wideman as RHD and it’s often discussed how we’ll need a another as all our prospects are LHD and only Mailloux is a RHD. You could probably snag kovacevic or wideman for a lower pick maybe a 2nd for kovacevic and hope he develops into a top 4

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL

Please find me the report/story stating that. Find me the article that says that...you can't and you won't. Cause there isn't one.

He had back issues. They are gone now. Now Eric brewer had what you are describing and he had surgery then went on to play pretty well for a couple teams parayko has not.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I doubt Vegas would trade him but if they don't have a good playoffs and want to re-tool, they'll need to shed a bit of cap.

Theodore would be perfect for the Sabres.

1st, Jokiharju, Olofsson at 50% for Theadore maybe?

Similar cap in, cap out, Vegas add a 2nd pairing RHD behind Pietrangelo and add a guy who will score 20 goals next year, plus then have 2 x 1sts for trades to upgrade other areas.
Done from a Sabres POV yesterday.

I doubt Theodore is available but if he is - LV would want (and get) a better package than this.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Done from a Sabres POV yesterday.

I doubt Theodore is available but if he is - LV would want (and get) a better package than this.

You are probably right, I didn't want to go over the top with the price straight away. Buffalo have so many good, young parts that they / you could add another one or two pieces

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
You are probably right, I didn't want to go over the top with the price straight away. Buffalo have so many good, young parts that they / you could add another one or two pieces
I don't think it's only a case of more pieces - just the fact that i don't believe Olofsson or Jokiharju will hold all that much value around the league.

Both are guys that the majority of us don't want to see on the team next year.

I think enough of us are agreed that VO is worth a mid round pick - even with retention.

Jokiharju is harder to gauge since he probably still has upside. At this point he'd be a fine bottom pair guy if partnered with a stay at home type imo - but nothing more.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The thing about Power’s partner to me is that I just need someone who can do SOMETHING. Joker isn’t physical…his passes are turnovers…his point shots are turnovers…he doesn’t know which way to look in his own end. He’s pretty good at defending odd man rushes for some reason.

If someone is going to be dragged along by Power just give me something. Hit something. Clear someone out of the crease. Know you can pass to your own team. Something.

I’ve given up hope Adams will land an all around two way compliment. So I’ll take will hit people and live with it.

It's why he worked so well with Blankenberg at Michigan because hitting and clearing the crease and general physical play were his strengths (I know, he's small but one has to appreciate the fight in the dog). I would rather they have someone who offers that to his pair, to be a balance to Power's more offensive bent and his lack of sound d-zone play.

Or just go all in with the crazy offensive side of things and get someone else who can pinch or distribute the puck crisply. Pick to enhance or pick to mitigate. But Jokihaju is neither.

Reactions: elchud

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Please find me the report/story stating that. Find me the article that says that...you can't and you won't. Cause there isn't one.

He had back issues. They are gone now. Now Eric brewer had what you are describing and he had surgery then went on to play pretty well for a couple teams parayko has not.

Quote: "The Blues shut down the 28-year-old defenseman from Feb. 15 until April 5 last season to rest what sources said was a bulging disk."

The Athletic said multiple sources confirmed it back then. And he did miss a quarter of the season with the back injury.

Several outlets reported it, but they said "the athletic confirmed" so I imagine they were all going off of the info shared there. That does not mean it is true, and I am not a huge fan of the Ahletic, but it was out there.

If you have a source that says the reports were false, please post it and I will edit my original post.

Reactions: JThorne

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I'd do Blankenburg for a 2nd. Columbus is drowning in RHD. Blankenburg 18 mins a night would be legit.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I'd do Blankenburg for a 2nd. Columbus is drowning in RHD. Blankenburg 18 mins a night would be legit.
Staying healthy is a skill, too, and it is not one of the tools in his toolbox. Eighteen minutes a night would last two games for him before something broke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad