Value of: Pick #13. BUF looking for top 4 RD

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I dont think Nick has to play as reckless paired with Power. He had to play with Peeke/Bayreuther/Gudbranson last year.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I'd do Blankenburg for a 2nd. Columbus is drowning in RHD. Blankenburg 18 mins a night would be legit.
The problem is that we need a guy capable of 20-25 mins, at a high level. Not a bottom pair guy on the worst team in the league.

Nobody really jumps out at me from Columbus to be honest. Maybe Peeke is interesting ? Or Boqvist? The latter purely because of his draft pedigree...

I've said many times - we have the assets & the cap space to make sure we get THE guy. Not a maybe with a bunch of risks, questions or conditions attached to him.

Reactions: Perry Tegula

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Sammy 21.5
Dahlin 23.5

Power 22.5
Blankenburg 18

Stillman 15
Joker 16.5

117 mins a night approximately incorporates PPs and OTs

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I believe that shift in those stats correspond to him not being Slavin's regular partner any more.
@Zman5778 you should probably unlike Chain's post. :laugh::sarcasm:

He's agreeing with me and the charts that Pesce isn't all that good defensively, while also providing some context.

The context being that Slavin carried Pesce defensively, and now that they have been separated Pesce has been exposed.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
@Zman5778 you should probably unlike Chain's post. :laugh::sarcasm:

He's agreeing with me and the charts that Pesce isn't all that good defensively, while also providing some context.

The context being that Slavin carried Pesce defensively, and now that they have been separated Pesce has been exposed.

A little from column A a little from column B -- I like Pesce even away from Slavin. I don't know if he's 13OA good but the fancy chart dip is akin to what Hamilton had when he left Slavin too. Same with TDA when he played with him.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Sammy 21.5
Dahlin 23.5

Power 22.5
Blankenburg 18

Stillman 15
Joker 16.5

117 mins a night approximately incorporates PPs and OTs
Jokiharju averaged more than 21 mins this season. And we want that pair to get more ice time in the future - not less.

It's also possible we acquire someone to play with Dahlin while Samuelsson plays with Power which likely pushes the TOI further.

A third pair guy averaging 18 mins on the league's worst team isn't going to cut it.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
It's better than what we have now. I'd rather sign Clifton. But Nick has upside and salary control and is better than Joker. If healthy.

Injuries to top guys will also boost end of year ATOIs cuz the players have to assume those minutes. Also, we don't need pairs with AHL players like Bryson/Clague...a 3rd pair should be able to go 16 mins a night. Blankenburg can do ES with Power and PK2. When healthy, sabres only need 3 guys over 20 mins.

I dont want to pay a guy like Mayfield 5 million a year into his mid/late 30s.

Not opposed to trades. I dont see KA moving any significant trade chips this offseason.

Last edited:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Jokiharju averaged more than 21 mins this season. And we want that pair to get more ice time in the future - not less.

It's also possible we acquire someone to play with Dahlin while Samuelsson plays with Power which likely pushes the TOI further.

A third pair guy averaging 18 mins on the league's worst team isn't going to cut it.
I can't see Sammy not being Dahlin's partner. They were just too good together. That being said we don't know what Adams will do to improve the defense.

Need a stay at home defenseman to pair with Power. I like Gudas or Mayfield as free agents but their age is getting up there.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I can't see Sammy not being Dahlin's partner. They were just too good together. That being said we don't know what Adams will do to improve the defense.

Need a stay at home defenseman to pair with Power. I like Gudas or Mayfield as free agents but their age is getting up there.
Given that Dahlin can play either side effectively - i wouldn't discount the possibility of acquiring a lefty to pair with him while Samuelsson becomes Power's safety valve.

The one guy we know Adams has been interested in acquiring - Chychrun - is a lefty.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

We want Power to get more time in the future as he develops. We absolutely do not want to give Jokiharju more minutes unless the good version of him suddenly and miraculously starts showing up every night.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Given that Dahlin can play either side effectively - i wouldn't discount the possibility of acquiring a lefty to pair with him while Samuelsson becomes Power's safety valve.

The one guy we know Adams has been interested in acquiring - Chychrun - is a lefty.

Samuelsson is also a lefty. Dropping him to Power's pairing doesn't really make sense. I don't think Power's ever played the right side. (If Buffalo had acquired Chychrun, he, in all likelihood, would've been the other lefty playing the right side, now Power or Samuelsson.)

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
This will probably be an unpopular opinion amongst Canes fans but I would consider trading Brett Pesce.

28 y/o rock solid defender who can be a 2/3 with 1 year left at $4m AAV.

NY state guy as well so he’d probably be cool resigning in Buffalo.

Canes need scoring wingers but draft capital and prospects are good too. We have some young D re-enforcements that will be looking to make a jump to the NHL soon and we can’t afford to keep all of Slavin, Skjei, and Pesce.
I’d pay a heavy price for Pesce. He’s exactly what Buffalo needs.

Olofsson
Rosèn
UPL

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
We want Power to get more time in the future as he develops. We absolutely do not want to give Jokiharju more minutes unless the good version of him suddenly and miraculously starts showing up every night.
Yes. I was referring to the Power pair (minus Jokiharju).

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Samuelsson is also a lefty. Dropping him to Power's pairing doesn't really make sense. I don't think Power's ever played the right side. (If Buffalo had acquired Chychrun, he, in all likelihood, would've been the other lefty playing the right side, now Power or Samuelsson.)
I'd expect Samuelsson to play right side in that situation - but who knows. Chychrun can also play both sides - maybe that would have led to a 'sideless' pair with Dahlin? We'll never know....

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I’d pay a heavy price for Pesce. He’s exactly what Buffalo needs.

Olofsson
Rosèn
UPL
I'd see something centered around 13OV + Rosen as the strongest futures trade package we're realistically able to offer - assuming Adams keeps an iron grip on Savoie/Kulich. Even if I'd be OK moving one of them for the right guy.

If a team needs D thrown into the package - add Jokiharju. If they need a goalie - add UPL.

I think that package should be able to land a quality player who ticks many/all of the boxes...

Reactions: elchud

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Power and Dahlin played together at times in the regular season and they were as amorphous as the Sammy/Dahlin pair are.

Sammy and Power have also spent some time together and again they're pretty amorphous. I'd have no issue with that being a full-time pair.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
Willing to bet they get Myers after his 5mil bonus is paid

Pegula is up there with Phoenix for the cheapest owner in the NHL right now, Myers cap hit is actually a positive since they'll be tens of millions from the cap ceiling. And as bitter as hf is about Myers not becoming Chara McKarlsson following his rookie year he's a perfectly solid #4 to put with Power, no worse than Justin Schultz for example has been in Seattle in the right role.

Calling it now, Myers for Lyubyshkin in late September once the bonus is paid. Buffalo saves money and gets their #4, Canucks save on cap and get a guy who despite being a #5 can play with Hughes if needed like Schenn did (having done that with Rielly last year).

• Haha
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Samuelsson has played on the right side at times with Power - 113 minutes this year (some of that was PKing time but some was at other moments with defensive rotation. In terms of shot attempts against/60, it's the lowest pair that played at least 100 minutes for the team and 2nd highest non-Dahlin pair in shot attempts for/60.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

dman3474

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Let circle back to Roy and we will also send you hometown boy Alex Iafallo for 13 and whatever other picks and prospects to even it out

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
There is no retention and no cap coming back.
Parayko
For
1st 13ova 2023 2nd 2023 rights to Ryan Johnson.

Completely fair trade
Na. Buffalo should stay away from that contract. Way to many if's around Parayko. He's already lost a step, not great in his own end, has produced 10 goals the last two years, may have back problems, and is signed until he's 37. Way too many red flags, especially for a decent 1st +.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Na. Buffalo should stay away from that contract. Way to many if's around Parayko. He's already lost a step, not great in his own end, has produced 10 goals the last two years, may have back problems, and is signed until he's 37. Way too many red flags, especially for a decent 1st +.
You lost me with 'not great in his own end'.

And as someone who recently suffered that same type of injury - you can't 'may have' back problems. You have them or you don't.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad