Value of: Pick #13. BUF looking for top 4 RD

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Peeke is a mixed bag. He was playing way over his head in a bad system for a coach that couldn’t make adjustments, in front of goalies who mostly couldn’t stop a beach ball, with no competent centermen to dish the puck in the offensive zone, not to mention a rotating cast of AHL and ECHL-caliber D-partners. He’d be solid with a well-defined lower-pair role with a LHD partner, but don’t expect him to score much on his own or create chances. That’s not his game. He blocks shots like crazy and almost certainly is trying to emulate David Savard. He plays with an edge and is too reactive sometimes, leading to him taking bonehead penalties.

If Columbus trades Boqvist and keeps him, it’s imperative that Werenski stays healthy to lock down 1LD and Jarmo can find a veteran LD for the second pairing to partner with Peeke. It will be very interesting to see what the org does in terms of the defense this summer.
Buffalo needs a defensive guy to partner with Power, as long as he can handle 20+ TOI - a RHD Samuelsson if you will. Peeke sounds like that guy but he's a tough read playing on a bad team...like a few Sabres were just a year or so back.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
I think it make sense for Buffalo to try and compete and trade their first pick 2023, even their 2 x 2nd rd pick as well.
They have been in the top 10 draft for 10 years now with many first rd picks.
Rebuild is over..

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Peeke is a mixed bag. He was playing way over his head in a bad system for a coach that couldn’t make adjustments, in front of goalies who mostly couldn’t stop a beach ball, with no competent centermen to dish the puck in the offensive zone, not to mention a rotating cast of AHL and ECHL-caliber D-partners. He’d be solid with a well-defined lower-pair role with a LHD partner, but don’t expect him to score much on his own or create chances. That’s not his game. He blocks shots like crazy and almost certainly is trying to emulate David Savard. He plays with an edge and is too reactive sometimes, leading to him taking bonehead penalties.

If Columbus trades Boqvist and keeps him, it’s imperative that Werenski stays healthy to lock down 1LD and Jarmo can find a veteran LD for the second pairing to partner with Peeke. It will be very interesting to see what the org does in terms of the defense this summer.

I’ve been on the “acquiring Peeke” island on the Sabres board for months now, usually with only a volleyball as a friend.

How about instead of the above mentioned 13th OA for Peeke and a 3rd or 4th, we do 13th for Peeke and either Dolzhenkov or Makarov?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I see that Andrew Peeke plays about 21 mins/gm and has a raise kicking in next season. Is that a result of him being capable as a 2nd pair RHD, or that Columbus struggled with Dcorps talent?

Does anyone else have a good critique of Peeke? Is he defensively sound enough for what Buffalo needs? He was the biggest minus Dman on their roster, but I also get that he logged a lot of minutes for a bad team.
He's not a top 4 on a good team at the moment. CBJ was devastated by D injuries this year so a lot of 3rd pairing guys got top pairing minutes, while AHL guys were getting regular bottom pair minutes. He might be a guy who thrives on better team but he wouldn't be certain upgrade to plug in on the 2nd pair.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
There is no retention and no cap coming back.
Parayko
For
1st 13ova 2023 2nd 2023 rights to Ryan Johnson.

Completely fair trade
I'd look for a better fit (Parayko's age / contract length is far from ideal) but I'd certainly circle back to this if i couldn't find anything.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
There is no retention and no cap coming back.
Parayko
For
1st 13ova 2023 2nd 2023 rights to Ryan Johnson.

Completely fair trade

I wouldn’t, feels to much like we are paying St Louis to do them a favor. To me his contract outweighs any good he could be in the immediate. If he were 26 or on a 5 year deal I’d say sure. But rarely do big bodied Dmen last into their mid 30s and as such he doesn’t interest me much at all.

Reactions: JThorne and Irie

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I wouldn’t, feels to much like we are paying St Louis to do them a favor. To me his contract outweighs any good he could be in the immediate. If he were 26 or on a 5 year deal I’d say sure. But rarely do big bodied Dmen last into their mid 30s and as such he doesn’t interest me much at all.
As i posted immediately above - his age/contract combo is far from ideal.

But I've seen names like Jeff Petry thrown around. Parayko is certainly a better fit than him & you're going to get more useful years out of Parayko as well.

The last year or two of his contract may well be a problem. I guess it would be a case of dealing with that when the time came...

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
6.5 is not a high contract. Good luck finding a better dman and that is cheaper. He is perfect for your speed of play and the purpose if shutdown. On top of that he. Is the perfect age to contend. Of the 8 years only the last two could be less than Ideal. He just doesn't fit blues time frame. We have some young guys coming up like gaudeute, loof kessel perunovich and others that are more in our retool rebuild time frame.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
You're relying way too much on these individual charts.
If these charts are telling you that Pesce and Chychrun are similar defensemen..............then the charts are crap. Their styles are completely different.
Charts and advanced stats certainly aren't perfect. But even an imperfect measurement that is at least based on real data is far more useful than the opinions of HFboards posters based on nothing but their own feelings.

The charts say that Pesce was excellent defensively his first 4 seasons in the league, but has struggled comparatively in 3 of the last 4.

If this is the "all in trade" that the Sabres can only afford to make once, I'd rather target someone who has been more consistent in recent years and would cost about the same to acquire. Pesce is a big upgrade on Joker, but if we're going big game hunting there are better options.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Oliver ekman Larsson
No
6.5 is not a high contract. Good luck finding a better dman and that is cheaper. He is perfect for your speed of play and the purpose if shutdown. On top of that he. Is the perfect age to contend. Of the 8 years only the last two could be less than Ideal. He just doesn't fit blues time frame. We have some young guys coming up like gaudeute, loof kessel perunovich and others that are more in our retool rebuild time frame.
The 6.5mil isn't the issue; its the 7 years being his age 30 through 37 seasons. His style of play doesn't lend to a high likelihood of being effective anywhere near that length of time and is likely to drop off sooner versus later. If he were 28, it would be a different story

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
No

The 6.5mil isn't the issue; its the 7 years being his age 30 through 37 seasons. His style of play doesn't lend to a high likelihood of being effective anywhere near that length of time and is likely to drop off sooner versus later. If he were 28, it would be a different story
Sabres will be fine, it’s not an OEL level anchor. Cap is going up, Skinner will be off the books by the time we need to consider moving Parayko and he will be moveable to some team looking to take on salary for picks.

It’s a 3 seasons from now problem, where we will hopefully have a replacement ready.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
As for Parayko, the issue is his last 3 seasons. I think he's a perfect fit for the Sabres....now. The question is, do you want to pay 6.5M for a bottom pair d-man in 3-4 years. If you assume Power and Dahlin are going to be making 10M+ in 4 years, that means for 3 years you have 30M invested as your top 4 d-men. If the cap continues to rise, that is less of a big deal, the issue would be balancing that with the forward group.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Sabres will be fine, it’s not an OEL level anchor. Cap is going up, Skinner will be off the books by the time we need to consider moving Parayko and he will be moveable to some team looking to take on salary for picks.

It’s a 3 seasons from now problem, where we will hopefully have a replacement ready.

It doesn't make sense to me to spend a 1st a 2nd and a 2024 2nd(Johnson) on a defenseman in which we'd likely need to use another set of picks to jettison in 4 years.

I might be more open to it if they included one of their later 1sts Essentially a move down and 2 2nds.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
It doesn't make sense to me to spend a 1st a 2nd and a 2024 2nd(Johnson) on a defenseman in which we'd likely need to use another set of picks to jettison in 4 years.

I might be more open to it if they included one of their later 1sts Essentially a move down and 2 2nds.
I think that's it. 6.5 is a bit high for a #4. And for that price, you can probably find a younger guy that has higher value in a few years instead of having to pay again to dump him.

I get that we need to fill some holes now but I don't think we're in the stage where we mortgage several years of future just yet and frankly it's not necessary. We're not looking for a 1, 2 or even 3. We need a #4 for 2-4 years.

I don't think parayko at that price is the answer but tbh he wouldn't really cost what is being discussed here anyway. Let's be honest, he's an aged player on a team needing some youth and retooling that will clearly become a dump at some point in his lengthy contract. The blues have to move him in the next couple years or have a mess to clean up and that clock is ticking. Maybe for a playoff team with 2 more window years and worse draft order.

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
No

He will be effective for the next 4 to 5 years. What style do you think he plays. Yes he is big but he isn't physical. He uses his size skating and reach to be a great defensive dmab while still getting 30 40 pts. His slap shot is well over a 100mph. You are not getting better for the price.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
If Lou chooses not to sign him, just go after Mayfield as a UFA. You guys should have the cap. He’s a RHD who’s big, plays mean and has playoff experience.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
As for Parayko, the issue is his last 3 seasons. I think he's a perfect fit for the Sabres....now. The question is, do you want to pay 6.5M for a bottom pair d-man in 3-4 years. If you assume Power and Dahlin are going to be making 10M+ in 4 years, that means for 3 years you have 30M invested as your top 4 d-men. If the cap continues to rise, that is less of a big deal, the issue would be balancing that with the forward group.

My issue with the Parayko contract isn't the last 3-4 years, it's the last 1-2. I worry that the last 1-2 years of the deal he'll be barely playable.

However, at that point he can either be bought out or shipped somewhere. He'd be quite valuable to us in the first 4-5-6 years of the deal.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad