Value of: Pick #13. BUF looking for top 4 RD

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You will get garbage proposals…

to get 13OA it would be someone either on ELC or ELC just ended, or they finished year 1 of a 6+ yr contract signed after an ELC ended.

The player would have to be U25 and 4+ yrs of team control Who would be a 2/3 D. And actually shoots right, not just plays on right side.
13 isn't getting you that.

No they f***ing do not.
It's fine because nobody would offer that package for Faulk.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I'd like to see what 13th, Lyubushkin and Rosen can land us for an RD. My preference is to add a top 4 guy, keep Jokiharju on 3rd pair and add another LD. Lyubushkin and Stillman can be 7 & 8 guys, and Bryson and Clague can deal with bathrooms that overflow on the 300 level. Joking. I wish Bryson well. He's not an NHL level player

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Hamilton is the comp you’re looking for. That was a mid-1st and early-2nd coming for a RHD coming off his ELC. However, that one gets spoiled a bit by Ristolainen getting the same return basically with 1 season left until UFA years later.

It probably isn’t going to make that player available, but can be competitive if the player is made available for another reason.

Why would the Devils move Hamilton? They are in win-now mode.

edit: oh the Hamilton trade was a comparable. Woops lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: zeeto

mighty Stanley Duck

Feb 1, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Buffalo is probably willing to part with some combination of Olofsson, picks 39 & 45 for the right deal as well
There are decent D's on the market, why trading somebody, Graves, Gavrikov, Severson, Mayfield are UFA. Graves of Mayfield are guys you need, top 4 responsible D with probably decent contract.

Reactions: BFLO

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rumour is that he was going to sign, but wanted to play a game and burn a year. Sabres wanted him to sign an ATO with Rochester and the contract starts next year. After they got eliminated, they should have relented. He woulda played two games, but they would have only had to pay him for one, as the final game against Columbus was after the season was over and nobody got paid.
Hmmm... I get that he isn't a huge catch, but you would think that the Sabres would have relented, and signed him. Maybe he is too far down the depth chart for Sabres D prospects to be of much worth for them? As is, I don't see the incentive for him to sign with Buffalo now. Maybe BUF are content to have another 2nd this year.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Hmmm... I get that he isn't a huge catch, but you would think that the Sabres would have relented, and signed him. Maybe he is too far down the depth chart for Sabres D prospects to be of much worth for them? As is, I don't see the incentive for him to sign with Buffalo now. Maybe BUF are content to have another 2nd this year.

The 2nd would be next year. And he’s actually at the top of the D prospects. The only ones we have besides him are Lindgren, Novikov, Komarov and Lyckasen.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
from CBJ, take your pick:
- 13OA for Boqvist straight up
- 13OA for Peeke + CBJ's 3rd and 4th

CBJ would then flip the pick in a package for a center or LHD.

Reactions: Perry Tegula

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The 2nd would be next year. And he’s actually at the top of the D prospects. The only ones we have besides him are Lindgren, Novikov, Komarov and Lyckasen.
Wonder why they didn't sign him? Seems to be a no brainer. If he doesn't work out, he's down in the AHL on a two way. If he does, then that's a good problem, as they still have years of team control.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'd like to see what 13th, Lyubushkin and Rosen can land us for an RD. My preference is to add a top 4 guy, keep Jokiharju on 3rd pair and add another LD. Lyubushkin and Stillman can be 7 & 8 guys, and Bryson and Clague can deal with bathrooms that overflow on the 300 level. Joking. I wish Bryson well. He's not an NHL level player

We need more guys like Boosh in the defensive lineup, not less. Boosh is a perfectly fine physical RHD who can eat PK minutes. We'd like an upgraded version of him to pair with Power.

Jokiharju would likely be fine with 3rd line minutes, but moving Boosh out to do that is kind of like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Wonder why they didn't sign him? Seems to be a no brainer. If he doesn't work out, he's down in the AHL on a two way. If he does, then that's a good problem, as they still have years of team control.

No idea other than they were in a playoff race and didn’t wanna throw him in that, as he actually had to play to burn a year.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This is the big unknown.

buffalo had 4 games left After they lost. It seems like contract terms weren’t agreed on.
since they were eliminated they could have used him on Friday to burn a year.maybe GM didn’t want to do that.

Thr camp does not come until he turns pro. He does that on august 16 thrn buffalo gets #61 in 24. He can return to minnesota for another year givrn Covid rules. Thst delays the comp pick.

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
Pens move Petry for a 13th pick in the draft. . Buffalo gets a player with 2 years left that may fit the improvement on the right side with no real long term contractual issues. Experienced RH shot and can play PP well is an asset that will improve Buffalo's back end. Plenty of cap room for this. Pens with new GM wants to get prospects in the system and revamp the back end.
I read Pens board and some wants to buy out Petry. So 13OA or buy out?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

I see that Andrew Peeke plays about 21 mins/gm and has a raise kicking in next season. Is that a result of him being capable as a 2nd pair RHD, or that Columbus struggled with Dcorps talent?

Does anyone else have a good critique of Peeke? Is he defensively sound enough for what Buffalo needs? He was the biggest minus Dman on their roster, but I also get that he logged a lot of minutes for a bad team.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Xerloris.. you would not make this trade?

I would in a heartbeat. Gives us a future stud on the back line. Frees up a lot of money and gives us another top 15 pick.

As far as I can see Kulich is a center and I don't think #13 would give us a stud on the back end. Faulk is good and we absolutely should keep him.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

Has Boqvist fallen that far? He was the 2nd best defenseman after Dahlin that draft year up there with Hughes.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Will Borgen and Andrew Peeke are guys I like but a reach as a 2nd pair guy. Rasmus Andersson is a reach as far as availability and cost. Matt Roy is IMO the best option for what Buffalo needs, possible availability, and trade cost. I don't know about #13 for him, but I would be ready to work out a wide range of trade packages for him.

I think it depends less on what Buffalo can offer, and more about if LA can afford to trade him. I know they prefer to trade Durzi or Walker first, but maybe Clarke is ready to step up and allow LA to part ways with Roy.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I see that Andrew Peeke plays about 21 mins/gm and has a raise kicking in next season. Is that a result of him being capable as a 2nd pair RHD, or that Columbus struggled with Dcorps talent?

Does anyone else have a good critique of Peeke? Is he defensively sound enough for what Buffalo needs? He was the biggest minus Dman on their roster, but I also get that he logged a lot of minutes for a bad team.
Peeke is a mixed bag. He was playing way over his head in a bad system for a coach that couldn’t make adjustments, in front of goalies who mostly couldn’t stop a beach ball, with no competent centermen to dish the puck in the offensive zone, not to mention a rotating cast of AHL and ECHL-caliber D-partners. He’d be solid with a well-defined lower-pair role with a LHD partner, but don’t expect him to score much on his own or create chances. That’s not his game. He blocks shots like crazy and almost certainly is trying to emulate David Savard. He plays with an edge and is too reactive sometimes, leading to him taking bonehead penalties.

If Columbus trades Boqvist and keeps him, it’s imperative that Werenski stays healthy to lock down 1LD and Jarmo can find a veteran LD for the second pairing to partner with Peeke. It will be very interesting to see what the org does in terms of the defense this summer.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad