Value of: Pick #13. BUF looking for top 4 RD

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Garland is not a negative value player. I think he can pretty flatly be considered the superior player to someone like Olofsson who most Sabres fans seem to believe can be moved for late picks.
Olofsson is better offensively.

many sabres fans have a naive mentality that buffalo needs to be a top 6 scoring/ bottom 6 grinder set up. They view him as expendable and are just willing to give him away to get anything.

hes 1 yrs from UFA so it’s likely he gets traded this off-season because Buffalo doesn’t want a distraction around him getting traded

if you look atvthe Sabres forwards going into next year ( I’m just throwing the players — not a debate on line combos)

Greenway-Thompson-Quinn
Skinner-Mittlestadt-Tuch
Peterka-Cozens-xxx
xxx-Ktprebs-xxx

there are 3 spots
Olofsson is 1 yr to UFA
Jost is an RFA not yet yo be qualified
Girgrnsons is a UFA this summer— likely to resign
Okposo is a UFA— feeling is he retires. He coukd come back for a %year.

in terms of prospecTS at F
its expected Savoie will be innthe Sabres all year because he has to go back to CHL.
they also has 5 other young forwards in Rochester who coukd get called up.

beyond 23;24 season— should expect recent F drafted could be on Sabres roster in Savoie, Kulich, Rosen in 24/25. Ostlund in 25/36, and other 21 drafted F prospects.

they done need a F like Garland for 3 yrs when they have young F who likeky do a better production given their ELC salary.

how many teams in the league can take on garland?
arizona, chicsgo, San Jose will ask for extra given his term
other teams with space— Detroit, buffalo, Carolina— therr are many teams with similar players to garland who also want to unload salary.

buffalo can do 59% on olofsson if they want.

sure — buffalo could take on a 3 yr contract out there if they wanted to. Many teams have them available in the same range. Rangers, flames, flyers, kings, another’s have F with 2-4 full years of term left in that $3M-$5M rough range. Some of them are C/W types and some are just wingers.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

many sabres fans have a naive mentality that buffalo needs to be a top 6 scoring/ bottom 6 grinder set up. They view him as expendable and are just willing to give him away to get anything.

hes 1 yrs from UFA so it’s likely he gets traded this off-season because Buffalo doesn’t want a distraction around him getting traded

if you look atvthe Sabres forwards going into next year ( I’m just throwing the players — not a debate on line combos)

Greenway-Thompson-Quinn
Skinner-Mittlestadt-Tuch
Peterka-Cozens-xxx
xxx-Ktprebs-xxx

there are 3 spots
Olofsson is 1 yr to UFA
Jost is an RFA not yet yo be qualified
Girgrnsons is a UFA this summer— likely to resign
Okposo is a UFA— feeling is he retires. He coukd come back for a %year.

in terms of prospecTS at F
its expected Savoie will be innthe Sabres all year because he has to go back to CHL.
they also has 5 other young forwards in Rochester who coukd get called up.

beyond 23;24 season— should expect recent F drafted could be on Sabres roster in Savoie, Kulich, Rosen in 24/25. Ostlund in 25/36, and other 21 drafted F prospects.

they done need a F like Garland for 3 yrs when they have young F who likeky do a better production given their ELC salary.

how many teams in the league can take on garland?
arizona, chicsgo, San Jose will ask for extra given his term
other teams with space— Detroit, buffalo, Carolina— therr are many teams with similar players to garland who also want to unload salary.

buffalo can do 59% on olofsson if they want.

sure — buffalo could take on a 3 yr contract out there if they wanted to. Many teams have them available in the same range. Rangers, flames, flyers, kings, another’s have F with 2-4 full years of term left in that $3M-$5M rough range. Some of them are C/W types and some are just wingers.
Speaking as a sabres fan I expect that Adams and Granato are setting up 3 scoring lines and 1 checking line. I would rather have Garland than Olofsson in a vacuum but Garland doesn't fit into the sabres plan. I also think Garland is overpaid by about 2 million. I think Savoie takes Olofsson's spot given that he has a good showing in the preseason.

I think if Olofsson gets traded its a add on to a package deal or its just for picks. Not contradicting you at all more or less agreeing. I like Garland but he just doesn't fit into the direction the team is going.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I’d prefer the Sabres go after the likes of Connor Clifton, Mayfield, or Graves in UFA before trading 13oa for an equivalent D-man.
I really hope we add a couple of D-man possibly a 3rd really good one if we do trade the 13 the defense needs to be fixed and depth needs to be addressed

you including your 11OA in taking on that salary?

full salary garland has negative value. Buffalo is one of a few teams who coukd eat his salary.

thr isdue becomes where would he play. If buffalo resigns Girgensons thry have 2 of their 12 F spots. One could be used for Olofsson who they have and the other could be used for Savoie O4 of of their otherAHL prospects.
Dude just stop while we aren't hurting for wingers this is such a beyond bad take.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Last time I will day it but parayko is the guy buf needs.
I wouldn’t mind if, but I’d want major retention with it being such a long term deal.

Especially with his injury history.

Given how Adams has spoken though, I don’t see them adding anyone that age range with that much term, to such a young group. They want to keep themselves as flexible as possible to locking up this young group.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Than Garland? Over the last two years, 5-on-5, Granland has been on the ice for 21 more goals for (99) than against (78). Can you guess how Olofsson looks in the last two years? 74 goals for... ONE HUNDRED AND FIVE AGAINST. While Granland isn't what the Sabres need right now, he's not a one-trick pony that gets his teeth kicked in during the 90% of the rest of the game.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
I could see Ekblad being available if the price is right. 13th overall alone doesn't get it done though.

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
I wouldn’t mind if, but I’d want major retention with it being such a long term deal.

Given how Adams has spoken though, I don’t see them adding anyone that age range with that much term, to such a young group. They want to keep themselves as flexible as possible to locking up this young group.
He played 79 and 80 games last two years. He would be the perfect vett. He makes 6.5 and was paramount in winning the cup.

No retention, 1st 2023 13ova, rights to Ryan Johnson and 2nd 2024

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

The blues wouldn’t retain for 7 years

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
They don't need a "top pairing RD". They need a defensively sound partner for Power on the 2nd pair.

So you want someone worse so that he can be called top4 guy? :D I think if Ekblad was made available any team with a need at RD would be interested.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
So you want someone worse so that he can be called top4 guy? :D I think if Ekblad was made available any team with a need at RD would be interested.
Buffalo doesn’t need someone who can put up points, they need a right handed Samuelsson clone.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Buffalo doesn’t need someone who can put up points, they need a right handed Samuelsson clone.

Hmm but Ekblad isn't an offensive D man, he's always been a defense first guy. He has a good shot though so he puts up decent numbers (40ish points on average, last year the numbers were bloated across the board on the whole team.)

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
On that salary note... Buffalo seems like an excellent landing spot for a guy like Conor Garland.

27 year old Garland has 3 years at 4.95 remaining. Buffalo has cap space to treat that as a FA signing.

Huh?

Sabres aren't going anywhere near Garland. Middleware, Dahlin and Power are all up for new deals after next season.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
You’d be wrong but it hasn’t stopped you so far.

Whoever they get will play 0 PP time for starters. Paying the price for a guys production and then halving it through usage is a dumb idea.

They need a different type of player. And one that can be a healthy option on top of that. Not to mention they need a kind of player who doesn’t make Ekblad money. That contract, what’s left of his body and no PP points? You have to get it by now.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
You’d be wrong but it hasn’t stopped you so far.

Whoever they get will play 0 PP time for starters. Paying the price for a guys production and then halving it through usage is a dumb idea.

They need a different type of player. And one that can be a healthy option on top of that.

I mean I get it that's your opinion but looking at how the league works when players like Ekblad occasionally come available, teams generally are lining up to pay the price. The argument that a team like Buffalo, who's defense (no offense) is a disaster, would be saying that Ekblad is too good for them doesn't make a lot of sense.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Than Garland? Over the last two years, 5-on-5, Granland has been on the ice for 21 more goals for (99) than against (78). Can you guess how Olofsson looks in the last two years? 74 goals for... ONE HUNDRED AND FIVE AGAINST. While Granland isn't what the Sabres need right now, he's not a one-trick pony that gets his teeth kicked in during the 90% of the rest of the game.

last two years— what the f***— you know very well that he was playing injured for most of the season that prevented and limited his scoring of goals. Yet you are penalizing him for it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
last two years— what the f***— you know very well that he was playing injured for most of the season that prevented and limited his scoring of goals. Yet you are penalizing him for it.

I'm penalizing him for being a shitty defensive player. This year, when he wasn't inhibited as a shooter, it's 34 for and 52 against while Garland was 40 and 41. Garland's still on for more 5-on-5 goals AND gives up less. Vic's not a good defensive player, full stop. And he's not actually that good of an offensive player either because he gives back everything he does and then some.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Demelo is only on a $3mil deal and the idea would be to shed more of the higher salaries (Not Morrissey) on the d-corps.
His cap hit isn't why he's attractive to the Sabres, it's that he's a good defensive d-man.

What if the Sabres were willing to take on a cap dump as a sweetener? Who's your dump?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad