Phoenix LXXX: Is there another way out?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I agree. Cannot see Quebecor and the city of Quebec accepting to push over mid-June.
City is responsible for old Colisée's refurbishing process and works to be done there is more than just to spread 2-3 gallons of painting on the walls...

The refurbishing will be done whether or not a team moves in.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Unfortunately, me neither. I expect it to drag long enough for the NHL to be stuck in Glendale for another year. Then, next year, when Seattle will have the promise of an NBA expansion franchise, the Coyotes will move there and we will end up empty-handed. I don't believe we will have an expansion team either, the league will go to TO2 and somewhere on the American West Coast (Portland, perhaps).

I think the NHL will find a way to get the money out of Glendale. I, however, do think QC will get a team thru expansion. But, I promise you this...

If Gary Bettman were to come out and promise QC the right of first refusal on a franchise, either thru expansion or relocation, I would never say another bad word about him. To me, he would have righted a wrong. I just think it is a shame that a man like that would run my favourite league - minus the CFL.

:)

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
I think the NHL will find a way to get the money out of Glendale. I, however, do think QC will get a team thru expansion. But, I promise you this...

If Gary Bettman were to come out and promise QC the right of first refusal on a franchise, either thru expansion or relocation, I would never say another bad word about him. To me, he would have righted a wrong. I just think it is a shame that a man like that would run my favourite league - minus the CFL.

:)

And how do you expect them to do that KevyD? Glendale confirmed their tentative budget for 2013-14 once again last night during their city meeting and it's $6M/year, not a penny above... :help:

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
Last night during the Kings-Sharks telecast - they showed Bettman and Daley watching the game.

Bettman really looked agitated. I mean, it could certainly be the travel and long day but seriously he looked kinda unsettled.

Wish I had a screen cap of it.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
Last night during the Kings-Sharks telecast - they showed Bettman and Daley watching the game.

Bettman really looked agitated. I mean, it could certainly be the travel and long day but seriously he looked kinda unsettled.

Doesn't Bettman ALWAYS look that way? :laugh:

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't understand the rational for anyone saying the NHL will stay. Even an optimist can't envision much more then 6 million to run the arena and that's IF Glendale is foolish enough to let the NHL do it.

The media coverage in all of this has been baffling. even out of Quebec you get some saying Bettman won't go to Quebec.

I honestly feel the NHL to avoid leaks and speculation over Quebec has quietly put out misinformation.

The NHL has played in a lot worse temporary venues then the old Collisee and I don't believe for a moment the NHL BoG's want another year of this garbage.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC

Warhead77

Jets4Life
Jun 28, 2011
The River City
Doesn't Bettman ALWAYS look that way? :laugh:

:laugh:

On a serious note - no, not necessarily.

He usually is in a talkative mood with Bill but they both seemed very quiet.
Bettman had the same "crap in his pants" look when he saw the Brunt story on his blackberry breaking the Thrashers to Winnipeg story in 2011.

Just an observation.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
One question i have been operating under the assumption that there was no lease signed for next year so if the coyotes stay in Glendale where would they play? Am I completely out to lunch ,or, have I read the sequence of events correctly?

No lease with NHL, no deal with Gosbee, QC is a there is left.

One more thing's Re: last season. It was worthwhile for the owners to maintain Phoenix on the books as a money-losing team going into the CBA negotiations. however this year they got the Cba they wanted so there is far less use in keeping the dogs in place

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Doug Maclean on Hockey Central yesterday said it was his understanding that the NHL was playing hardball with the COG using Seattle as leverage, when the NBA deal fell apart the NHL has been much kinder to the COG. He told Bill Daily to call him up if he was wrong.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree, I wouldn't expect a relo announcement this Friday either.

Man, if I could get a check in the mail for $10 for every post that had an '[announcement relocating the team] is coming this week or end of the week or tomorrow or some imminent date' prediction... that would be nice for me.

I'm sure we'd all accept those checks if someone wanted to issue them.

Hey... city of Glendale maybe? What's $25 million divided by $10 bucks? 2.5 million... That'd probably cover it, to date, right? Seems like the prediction of relocation has been predicted in BoH posts about 2.5 million times... :laugh:

Expecting if they relocate, whoever posted in the first thread years ago that they would relocate to announce "I was right, I said it first, just slightly off on the timing!"

& Globe & Mail will probably have a big headline that day:

TOLD YOU SO, BACK IN '96

:sarcasm:

To raise more money for the cause, let's include $10 for every post that said that a deal for a local sale was imminent, with [insert name of owner] coming to keep the Coyotes in Glendale forever. :naughty:

* edit - oops, I see that CF jumped on this already.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

And how do you expect them to do that KevyD? Glendale confirmed their tentative budget for 2013-14 once again last night during their city meeting and it's $6M/year, not a penny above... :help:

I don't know, buddy. I really don't. Just a gut feeling. :)

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
To raise more money for the cause, let's include $10 for every post that said that a deal for a local sale was imminent, with [insert name of owner] coming to keep the Coyotes in Glendale forever. :naughty:

* edit - oops, I see that CF jumped on this already.

With an extra 5 dollars for every time the term "two weeks" has been mentioned :naughty:

RandR

May 15, 2011

There may be options for the team and the city to tap into new revenue streams to find additional money beyond the $6million the city has budgeted for an arena manager, he [edit: Councilman Manny Martinez] said.
http://www.azcentral.com/community/glendale/articles/20130528nhl-executives-potential-coyotes-buyers-meet-at-glendale-city-hall.html

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Because it is quite obvious that most of them don't care about hockey at all and it is also pretty obvious that EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD, even us in hockey-mad Quebec City, would prefer good firemen to a hockey team. But, yeah, I guess we aren't in their minds.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I legitimately don't know what to think about this anymore. At first I admired the CoG funding the team until an owner was found. Now that the city hasn't been getting any return on the investment its asinine for the league to expect it to continue. Even if the league was paying rent it would be less than the subsidy the city funneled back.

City funded arenas I get that, been around since the 1930s in one form or another, supporting an ownerless franchise is unique but for an owner to expect the city to continue the escapade is just wrong.
Falls squarely on ownerships shoulders to pay to use the arena, to cover team losses and for the city to benefit from the team.

I hope a deal gets worked out, but I doubt Gosbee has the money to do it, I doubt the CoG is foolish enough to pay for the team after he backs out and I doubt the NHL takes the chance of dealing with a 3rd party arena manager in July.

~also HedgeyeDJ has been less than amusing lately, but if people want to put on tin foil hats, he retweeted this:

Amber Kanwar ‏@amberkanwar 3h
Loonie strengthens as Bank of Canada says the next move in rates will be HIGHER #keepittight #hawk #bankofcanada #investing
Retweeted by Daryl Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad