Phoenix LXXX: Is there another way out?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Okay, I've got a question.

Many of you seem fairly certain that the NHL will announce the relocation of the Coyotes to Quebec on Friday.

So, let me put this hypothetical scenario out there; Friday comes and goes with no new concrete information. Then the weekend passes and it's more of the same. On Tuesday some vague reports that talks are ongoing, moving in the right direction, "some" positives to take away, yadda, yadda, lip service. Then silence on both Thursday and Friday the 7th of June.

Now it's Friday night, hours after CoB for the week. So my question is, what will be the theory then? What will we all be saying is the grand scheme at that point?

The only thing that could possibly make sense of that scenario is that the NHL is wary of a return to the Colisee, even in the short term, and are limping the Coyotees along until the there is a new barn to move to. However they would have had to renewed the lease to do that. It could be that the League dosen't like the optics of returning to an Arena they ran out of 17 yrs ago. Do they hate tthat Idea enough to lose another 25 million? Will PKP pay a high enough price to cover those losses in purchase/relocation????

I think as I said the RFP is the Key. The COG new the dogs were dead the second they drafted that, or even before. it effectivley closes the door on any of the sweatheart deals the NHL and it's various ownership prospects have been given in the past.

Rememmber there were rumors of progress out of Atlanta right up until the announcment in WPG. Also in every relocation I have watched over the years the League has never had a "were leaving town" type press conference, choosing to announce the relocation in the new market instead. I don't expect them to break protocol now.

For all we know PKP has been told last night that he can go ahead with the purchase, get all his relocation ducks in a row, but is under a NDA and cannot announce until "X" date when they "make it official" which couuld happen really at any date the league choses. if that is whats happening then the only "deadline" would be the draft itself, maybe. If PKP is keeping the GM then even after the draft is possible if QC is quietlty putting it all together on the sly.

adrenaline

Mar 8, 2011
I keep thinking this thing is almost over.. But it never ends.. :) Been stalking for a long time MOD

I think the NHL has a surprise up their sleeve otherwise this would have been over a long time ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

LouisOlivier

May 1, 2013
Ville de Québec
The only thing that could possibly make sense of that scenario is that the NHL is wary of a return to the Colisee, even in the short term, and are limping the Coyotees along until the there is a new barn to move to. However they would have had to renewed the lease to do that. It could be that the League dosen't like the optics of returning to an Arena they ran out of 17 yrs ago. Do they hate tthat Idea enough to lose another 25 million? Will PKP pay a high enough price to cover those losses in purchase/relocation????

I think as I said the RFP is the Key. The COG new the dogs were dead the second they drafted that, or even before. it effectivley closes the door on any of the sweatheart deals the NHL and it's various ownership prospects have been given in the past.

Rememmber there were rumors of progress out of Atlanta right up until the announcment in WPG. Also in every relocation I have watched over the years the League has never had a "were leaving town" type press conference, choosing to announce the relocation in the new market instead. I don't expect them to break protocol now.

For all we know PKP has been told last night that he can go ahead with the purchase, get all his relocation ducks in a row, but is under a NDA and cannot announce until "X" date when they "make it official" which couuld happen really at any date the league choses. if that is whats happening then the only "deadline" would be the draft itself, maybe. If PKP is keeping the GM then even after the draft is possible if QC is quietlty putting it all together on the sly.

I think the NHL doesn't really care how many dollars will the Collisée lose. They just wanna make sure the Collisée respond the the NHL standard.

And the situation in Atlanta was really not the same now.
Last time in Atlanta there was 3 groups in the negociations (Atlanta,Winnipeg & NHL), this was very hard for the NHL to stop the leaks. This time in this negociations PKP and NHL can stop the leaks.

I think we will heard some news about the annoncement the day before it.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
personally, i am not worried about the timing of a relocation announcement, let alone freaking out that it come by this friday. i am sure that pkp is expecting the team and is already busy making arrangements.

just as long as the relocation officially comes before the end of june and pkp's new management team is in place for the draft, that's all that really matters. everything else is just window dressing.

i wish glendale the best in their search for a new arena manager and am confident that they can re-attain the successful position with concert bookings that they enjoyed prior to the nhl taking over. it's a very nice arena.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

While a Colisée may be questioned by NHL, as far as I know they have a few other arenas in big need of renew. If Islanders were able to play for so long in a supposedly outdated building...why can't the new Nordiques play for a season or two.

And shall I add that if Winnipeg was able to make revenue in a similarly sized building, I don't see why Quebec could/would not.

Fans will fill the building at premium prices.
Sponsors will put their logos on NHL standard boards.
TV Networks will still film and diffuse video content from inside the old Colisée.

In case I forgot some revenue sources, the biggest change in revenue will be more corporate boxes and more fans inside the building, but that should only increase the overall profits. In Quebec's case, it won't be a question of do we make or do we lose money.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The NHL has stated on the record in BK court that it isn't possible to relocate a team after June 1st.

One of their Attorneys stated such under oath, but without any serious repercussions they could if they so choose just forgetaboutit. Explain it off. Maybe theyve decided to hang in for another year, fund losses entirely, Renaissance playing Jamisons part. Yesterday Gary & Bill's exit & statement was more or less to have thrown the keys at them, with a take care of the car boys, trunk's full of whiskey, have fun. No deadline decreed. No nothin. Just eff'd off to LA. Nothing this league might or might not do would surprise me, so to be absolutely 110% certain that they make any kind of Relo announcement Friday, the week after, in late June? Who knows? Anythings possible. Maybe even that Gosbee & Company pull it off. Somehow someway accept the $6M, get approved by the BOG's. Seems highly improbable if not impossible.... but. None of that adds up. No hard numbers were bandied about yesterday. Seemingly just a meet & greet. Its really pretty strange, bizarre.

Last edited:

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011

Many of you seem fairly certain that the NHL will announce the relocation of the Coyotes to Quebec on Friday.

So, let me put this hypothetical scenario out there; Friday comes and goes with no new concrete information. Then the weekend passes and it's more of the same. On Tuesday some vague reports that talks are ongoing, moving in the right direction, "some" positives to take away, yadda, yadda, lip service. Then silence on both Thursday and Friday the 7th of June.

Now it's Friday night, hours after CoB for the week. So my question is, what will be the theory then? What will we all be saying is the grand scheme at that point?

At that point I will have no theory, full disclosure. It may well happen, and then I'll be completely baffled. I guess the theory will be that Gary wants nothing to do with Quebec City (which would still be surprising, because PKP, Labeaume and Aubut have sure been hinting that the NHL is on its way).

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
One of their Attorneys stated such under oath, but without any serious repercussions they could if they so choose just forgetaboutit. Explain it off. Maybe theyve decided to hang in for another year, fund losses entirely, Renaissance playing Jamisons part. Yesterday Gary & Bill's exit & statement was more or less to have thrown the keys at them, with a take care of the car boys, trunk's full of whiskey, have fun. No deadline decreed. No nothin. Just eff'd off to LA. Nothing this league might or might not do would surprise me, so to be absolutely 110% certain that they make any kind of Relo announcement Friday, the week after, in late June? Who knows? Anythings possible. Maybe even that Gosbee & Company pull it off. Somehow someway accept the $6M, get approved by the BOG's. Seems highly improbable if not impossible.... but.

If Arizona follows Bronstein's standard (yeah, same case bill with his uncontrollable willy followed) well then they could turn around and say "no we meant for the team at that time"

Killion is right about the BK court with no repercussions, plus the supreme court has many better things to do than reform the perjury standards.

The question is however, if Arizona follows truth in context...then it gets hairy. If you wanna read a case about a real ******* read people v. Neumann don't know the cite, only know this cuz involved in a real pissing match about representations made at a couple of deps.

If it goes to AZ state court then you have issues, but right now Kill ion is right, they are free to relo in late June under current perjury standards.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
if the team isn't gone by, say, the middle of next week it's not moving to quebec ever

it's that simple. it may relocate eventually... after next season or after some five year out clause... but it won't be to quebec if it's not now

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Eastern conference final starts on Sat. I assume West will start after that. That leaves two days between tonight and Saturday to make an announcement without interferring with games.

The Thrashers relocation announcement came May 31 which was after the conferecne finals happened and before the Stanley Cup. Although Bettman said the rush to get it done wasn't so it wouldn't happen during the series, but that if it wasn't done right away it may never have gotten done.

Personally think the league is going to be owning this team another year and work out a yea lease with Glendale.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
RE: NHL BK arguments

The NHL would not be subject to any type of charge, perjury or other, for their statements in May 2009. The information is only relative in the sense that the NHL would forfeit the ability to use due diligence/schedule/timing defense to block Balsillie-type takeovers prospectively. The NHL is under no obligation to preserve that defense. They can contradict the timelines they presented in court any time they want with impunity. It is just another undesirable consequence of the Phoenix situation for the league. Nothing more; nothing less.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Eastern conference final starts on Sat. I assume West will start after that. That leaves two days between tonight and Saturday to make an announcement without interferring with games.

The Thrashers relocation announcement came May 31 which was after the conferecne finals happened and before the Stanley Cup. Although Bettman said the rush to get it done wasn't so it wouldn't happen during the series, but that if it wasn't done right away it may never have gotten done.

Personally think the league is going to be owning this team another year and work out a yea lease with Glendale.

Pretty much my view about staying another year. A one year lease, the question is, will they say effectively they've had enough, and give closure by saying the team will start in (insert city here) for the 2014-15 season, or do they still give the optics of trying to find a buyer to try and get as much sales as possible.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
One of their Attorneys stated such under oath, but without any serious repercussions they could if they so choose just forgetaboutit. Explain it off. Maybe theyve decided to hang in for another year, fund losses entirely, Renaissance playing Jamisons part. Yesterday Gary & Bill's exit & statement was more or less to have thrown the keys at them, with a take care of the car boys, trunk's full of whiskey, have fun. No deadline decreed. No nothin. Just eff'd off to LA. Nothing this league might or might not do would surprise me, so to be absolutely 110% certain that they make any kind of Relo announcement Friday, the week after, in late June? Who knows? Anythings possible. Maybe even that Gosbee & Company pull it off. Somehow someway accept the $6M, get approved by the BOG's. Seems highly improbable if not impossible.... but. None of that adds up. No hard numbers were bandied about yesterday. Seemingly just a meet & greet. Its really pretty strange, bizarre.

I agree, I wouldn't expect a relo announcement this Friday either.

Man, if I could get a check in the mail for $10 for every post that had an '[announcement relocating the team] is coming this week or end of the week or tomorrow or some imminent date' prediction... that would be nice for me.

I'm sure we'd all accept those checks if someone wanted to issue them.

Hey... city of Glendale maybe? What's $25 million divided by $10 bucks? 2.5 million... That'd probably cover it, to date, right? Seems like the prediction of relocation has been predicted in BoH posts about 2.5 million times... :laugh:

Expecting if they relocate, whoever posted in the first thread years ago that they would relocate to announce "I was right, I said it first, just slightly off on the timing!"

& Globe & Mail will probably have a big headline that day:

TOLD YOU SO, BACK IN '96

:sarcasm:

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Until a schedule is released and Phoenix is on it, there's no guarantee they'll be in Glendale next year. Who knows we may hear leaks on contingency sked with QC in it but I think events will be pretty stagnant until the RFP envelopes are opened on Friday.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I agree, I wouldn't expect a relo announcement this Friday either.

Man, if I could get a check in the mail for $10 for every post that had an '[announcement relocating the team] is coming this week or end of the week or tomorrow or some imminent date' prediction... that would be nice for me.

I'm sure we'd all accept those checks if someone wanted to issue them.

Hey... city of Glendale maybe? What's $25 million divided by $10 bucks? 2.5 million... That'd probably cover it, to date, right? Seems like the prediction of relocation has been predicted in BoH posts about 2.5 million times... :laugh:

Expecting if they relocate, whoever posted in the first thread years ago that they would relocate to announce "I was right, I said it first, just slightly off on the timing!"

& Globe & Mail will probably have a big headline that day:

It would be even nicer if you got an additional $10 for every time there was a report of '[announcement of a rogue investment group purchasing the team] is coming this week or end of the week or tomorrow or some imminent date'

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
It's not like it's the Oscars. The bids won't be opened up on stage with confetti, banners, and B-list celebrities in black tie on Friday afternoon. We won't hear much of anything until close to the 25th. The deadline for relocation is the release of the schedule. We'll see if the NHL is up to stomaching another year.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it's ridiculous to say the team will stay for another year, Losses could be 30 million and why? Quebec is ready, they may not make money but they won't lose in Quebec.
I admit Friday seems too quick after playing this out but I'd say the true deadline to move this year is June 14.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
It's not like it's the Oscars. The bids won't be opened up on stage with confetti, banners, and B-list celebrities in black tie on Friday afternoon. We won't hear much of anything until close to the 25th. The deadline for relocation is the release of the schedule. We'll see if the NHL is up to stomaching another year.

images

Hi, I'm here to open the RFP responses.

mmajeski06

Mar 24, 2010
Cary, NC
May 31st may be the deadline, but just because we don't hear anything on Friday doesn't mean anything either way. The NHL can decide it is done in PHX and wait to make the announcement.

Why they would wait, who knows. It's the NHL. There is no logic to staying another year, but I won't be shocked if they do. This is the same group who people who think having a lockout every 10 years is an acceptable way to build a fan base,

nelina

May 28, 2013
Saguenay, QC
I think it's ridiculous to say the team will stay for another year, Losses could be 30 million and why? Quebec is ready, they may not make money but they won't lose in Quebec.
I admit Friday seems too quick after playing this out but I'd say the true deadline to move this year is June 14.

I agree. Cannot see Quebecor and the city of Quebec accepting to push over mid-June.
City is responsible for old Colisée's refurbishing process and works to be done there is more than just to spread 2-3 gallons of painting on the walls...

Wingsfan2965*

Dec 30, 2011

I think it would be foolish to speculate on a specific date. I think they'll relocate, but I don't dare guess when.

The NHL has stated on the record in BK court that it isn't possible to relocate a team after June 1st.

Meh, I think they can.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Unfortunately, me neither. I expect it to drag long enough for the NHL to be stuck in Glendale for another year. Then, next year, when Seattle will have the promise of an NBA expansion franchise, the Coyotes will move there and we will end up empty-handed. I don't believe we will have an expansion team either, the league will go to TO2 and somewhere on the American West Coast (Portland, perhaps).

Wingsfan2965*

Dec 30, 2011

I read a few days ago that WCFs will start Friday, though I can't remember the source.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It's not like it's the Oscars. The bids won't be opened up on stage with confetti, banners, and B-list celebrities in black tie on Friday afternoon.

Say what now?! Oh Maaan. %&%&. Me. Sideways. And here Id invited dozens of people to an RFP Party. Permit from the city. Tent rented, already set-up out back, chairs, bar, overhead LCD monitors hanging & wired to Glendale 11, stage. Kegs, scotch, vodka, gin, rum, cognac, vermouth.... cases of fine wines & champagne delivered. Caterers... Hired a Mariachi Band and these guys for a private concert, all in keeping with the Southwestern Theme....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIBEo-hUARQ

dang ye TL. Outta pocket about $75K. :rant::rant::rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad