Phoenix LXXX: Is there another way out?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingsfan2965*

Dec 30, 2011
It won't spook Quebec, Seattle, or GTA2. Who else will need a new barn in the next ten years?

Well, NYI is already moving to Barclays. Detroit is supposed to be getting a new building in the next five years.

Edmonton obviously wants out of their arena (Didn't they get approved already?) and doesn't Calgary want out of the Saddledome?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I think this is the truth, if there was another team in rouble then we would know about because when doucments are filled in court or something like that, it is made public(ie New Jersey Devils).

Not really. We would only know about another team in trouble if their troubles required them to be public about it. Ie. bankruptcy. There easily could be a team out there losing gobs of money that has approached Bettman to say they have had enough and they want out. This conversation would be private and we wouldn't know about it.

IMO Phoenix is not the only team out there in financial trouble. They are just the only one that's this public.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Well, NYI is already moving to Barclays. Detroit is supposed to be getting a new building in the next five years.

Edmonton obviously wants out of their arena (Didn't they get approved already?) and doesn't Calgary want out of the Saddledome?

NYI and EDM are all wrapped up. Can't see the situation in Glendale having much impact on anything in Calgary, can you? That leaves Detroit. Again, wildly different situation.

not a trapdoor

I swallowed my keys
Apr 13, 2011
Sydney
Not really. We would only know about another team in trouble if their troubles required them to be public about it. Ie. bankruptcy. There easily could be a team out there losing gobs of money that has approached Bettman to say they have had enough and they want out. This conversation would be private and we wouldn't know about it.

You're right that we wouldn't necessarily know about it; but there's a difference between a viable business being run badly (ie the Hawks under an owner who just didn't care to invest) and a business that is a basket case - which the Coyotes appear to be. Even if the NHL has quietly taken over another franchise's operations, that doesn't necessarily mean the location itself is in jeopardy.

A modern example of a team in trouble in an otherwise viable market is the Sacramento Kings. The owners tried to move to a market they thought would be more lucrative as their other business was in trouble. When that failed, they tried to sell out of a market for an NBA record. When that failed, they sold in market (and remarkably quickly) for a price that suggest the NBA in Sacramento is likely still a viable business.

IMO Phoenix is not the only team out there in financial trouble. They are just the only one that's this public.

Probably true. I doubt the other team is in such dire straits that a move is imminent. The only other team that seems to be in a market where they're destined to lose money is the Panthers; but their owners are loss leading with a nice master lease that allows them to take advantage of all the conventions & other junkets that gravitate to Florida's meteorological charms.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Oh good, we again get to use the Phoenix Coyotes thread to speculate on which other teams / markets might be in trouble and close to relocation.

Wingsfan2965*

Dec 30, 2011
Oh good, we again get to use the Phoenix Coyotes thread to speculate on which other teams / markets might be in trouble and close to relocation.

Well we've already concluded that Phoenix is moving, so might as well move on to the next.

not a trapdoor

I swallowed my keys
Apr 13, 2011
Sydney

Heh. Yeah... :help:

I doubt any others are close to relocation; even if there are others that have financial issues in the background.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Okay, I've got a question.

Many of you seem fairly certain that the NHL will announce the relocation of the Coyotes to Quebec on Friday.

So, let me put this hypothetical scenario out there; Friday comes and goes with no new concrete information. Then the weekend passes and it's more of the same. On Tuesday some vague reports that talks are ongoing, moving in the right direction, "some" positives to take away, yadda, yadda, lip service. Then silence on both Thursday and Friday the 7th of June.

Now it's Friday night, hours after CoB for the week. So my question is, what will be the theory then? What will we all be saying is the grand scheme at that point?

not a trapdoor

I swallowed my keys
Apr 13, 2011
Sydney

Many of you seem fairly certain that the NHL will announce the relocation of the Coyotes to Quebec on Friday.

Now it's Friday night, hours after CoB for the week. So my question is, what will be the theory then? What will we all be saying is the grand scheme at that point?

As has happened in the past in this saga, it would seem to defy logic (and suggest some agenda at play - which has also happened in this saga!). I could only assume it would mean that 1) the NHL still believes it can convince Glendale to provide a subsidy (from God knows where) or 2) there actually is hidden buyer/market in the works who needs more time.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec

So, let me put this hypothetical scenario out there; Friday comes and goes with no new concrete information. Then the weekend passes and it's more of the same. On Tuesday some vague reports that talks are ongoing, moving in the right direction, "some" positives to take away, yadda, yadda, lip service. Then silence on both Thursday and Friday the 7th of June.

I personally don't think they are likely to move friday! I think if it's not in the break before the conference finals, it'll be in the break before the cup finals. (The most likely time for an announcement in my opinion)

If the finals start without a word being said, I think we'll have another year of Coyotes madness paid by the NHL!

CrazyMonkey1208

Apr 9, 2012
Wasn't Nashville in trouble for some time? What about Florida?

If Friday comes and goes it won't really change anything, just means the public announcement is coming later. ;)

checkerdome

Oct 31, 2006
Hasn't this entire process hit a drop-dead impasse?

The league needs to decide whether or not to relocate a franchise by May 31st; if we are to believe bankruptcy proceeding testimony as well as the Thrashers to Wpg example.
(Even following the Wpg example may be misleading as they had pretty much a turnkey AHL operation in place with which to embrace an NHL franchise.)

The COG has pegged a late June date for making any kind of a decision on the arena lease.

Does the NHL have the option of waiting until late June for a lease?

At that point a relocation anywhere will no longer be a viable option and the NHL could conceivably be stuck picking up the tab for about $20 million in losses for the next season.

Unless the NHL or the COG blinks, I don't see how an acceptable solution is within reach.

Maybe I'm simply not aware of some other factors that could weigh into this equation.

LouisOlivier

May 1, 2013
Ville de Québec

Yeah I have the same feeling as you... this IS this situation for about 2 months now.

I think we will read an article by Craig Morgan saying that RSE and City are negociating. bla bla bla

BUT when the City will open the bidding for the RFP, this is where we will all know what will happen.

If they say that after viewing the RFP that RSE is the best option for the City, we will continue to heard some positives news, yada yada yada... (IMO, Jamison part 2)

If they say that they will take the bidder of the RFP, then the next day, the NHL transfer the Coyotes.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
The NHL has stated on the record in BK court that it isn't possible to relocate a team after June 1st.

That's not important. That was then, this is now. I dont think they'll be held accountable for anything they previously said.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven

I would say that if this goes past this Friday, the chances of them being there for another year are greatly increasing, despite the RFP.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Even if there is a 2nd team in trouble, it is early speaking about relocation because such team should be given 4-5 years of «periode de grace» to try and find a new owner willing to keep it where it is and/or a city willing to fund a new arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad