Phoenix LXXX: Is there another way out?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
Oh thats real Classy manisback. Steel Reserve? Why not
Colt 45? Why dont you just give poor rt your recipe for...

information-about-jungle-juice.jpg

Let's send that to RSE as they're cash poor lol.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I doubt they will need much time to discuss the Team Gosbee shocker special but it will be interesting to see if the NHL has submitted an offer to keep the team in Glendale for 13-14 Season at AMF $6.

I wonder why they would be meeting with an outside legal firm to discuss matters pursuant to the external (points A&B top of the list under Legal) audit?... and these Workshops are all in Executive Session yes?

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
I doubt they will need much time to discuss the Team Gosbee shocker special but it will be interesting to see if the NHL has submitted an offer to keep the team in Glendale for 13-14 Season at AMF $6.

I twould be "silly" to let the NHL have the AMF for next year, We know the NHL does virtually ZERO in management.

I read in a tweet but have yet to confirm that the NHL has asked for something on paper between RSE and Glendale next week. It would make sense time is short, if you can make a deal do it now.

ahplk

Sep 25, 2011
I have no idea how this saga will play out, and frankly, I'm confused and amazed by the seemingly illogical decisions at the hands of the NHL and the CoG lo these past four years.

Logic does not factor in the Coyotes history, apparently.

The most logical course of action for Glendale would've been to accept Jim Balsillie's offer in bankruptcy court. The NHL, after purchasing the team from bankruptcy court, should have sold the team to Quebecor for the huge premium that was apparently on offer, gone the expansion route for Seattle, Portland, northern California or wherever else, but illogically tried to hold the City of Glendale hostage, and blackmail the city into funding the team with monies that were better spent elsewhere.

What has been niggling at me for the past several days is the thought that somewhere in this whole saga is the reason why the NHL is so resistant to relocating the franchise. I cannot divine said reason, but the NHL seems desperate, almost irrational, in this quest to keep the dogs in the desert. There must something playing out behind the scenes that only the upper echelons of the NHL are privy to, that is manifesting itself in the Coyotes situation. I know many people have offered suggestions and "conspiracies" of the NHL's motive(s), but none of it has, or can, be proven, and none of it ties together all the various threads.

What is the NHL's end game here? If we knew the answer, I'm certain all of the machinations of the past four years would make more sense.

Or, is it just that Bettman, the NHL BoG and the CoG have dug the hole so deep nobody can see out any more?

I give this two more weeks 'til resolution. I suspect the 'Yotes will remain in the desert for the next year; just my instinct, though.

Trying to avoid a lawsuit?

Wasn't part of the bankruptcy ruling that the NHL had to prove they did everything they could to support a local sale before considering a relocation option.

Could anyone argue otherwise at this point?

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Trying to avoid a lawsuit?

Wasn't part of the bankruptcy ruling that the NHL had to prove they did everything they could to support a local sale before considering a relocation option.

Could anyone argue otherwise at this point?

If you believe that they were "15 minutes away from relocating to Winnipeg" then one could make the argument that if they were willing to move them two or three years ago then the avoiding lawsuit for not trying hard enough argument goes out the window.

If I were to break it down in terms of people thoughts on this there are a few categories.
1 - Those who believe a sale will go through and the COG would be willing to have RSE as the arena manager at 6 mill per year
1.5 - Those who believe there is no way in hell that they are doing another south --> north relocation so the NHL will be willing to eat the losses. Kinda hard to tell this one apart from 1 and 2 though (and kind of 5) hence the 1.5.
2 - Those who believe that all of this is simply trying to gain more time for relocation to Seattle in two/five years when the NBA expands there.
3 - Those who believe that this is all just for optics so that they can at least portray the image that they "had a deal but couldn't work out anything with the COG so we're moving to Quebec but really it's all their fault"
4 - Those who believe Bettman hates Canada.
5 - Those who are running around like a chicken with their heads cut off because none of this makes any sense whatsoever.

I think that kind of covers it though I may be missing some.

goalieboy82

Jun 20, 2007
washington dc area
2 - Those who believe that all of this is simply trying to gain more time for relocation to Seattle in two/five years when the NBA expands there.
3 - Those who believe that this is all just for optics so that they can at least portray the image that they "had a deal but couldn't work out anything with the COG so we're moving to Quebec but really it's all their fault"
think it is a little of 2 and 3.

Enigma Publius

Feb 11, 2013
The Empire State
If you believe that they were "15 minutes away from relocating to Winnipeg" then one could make the argument that if they were willing to move them two or three years ago then the avoiding lawsuit for not trying hard enough argument goes out the window.

If I were to break it down in terms of people thoughts on this there are a few categories.
1 - Those who believe a sale will go through and the COG would be willing to have RSE as the arena manager at 6 mill per year
1.5 - Those who believe there is no way in hell that they are doing another south --> north relocation so the NHL will be willing to eat the losses. Kinda hard to tell this one apart from 1 and 2 though (and kind of 5) hence the 1.5.
4 - Those who believe Bettman hates Canada.
5 - Those who are running around like a chicken with their heads cut off because none of this makes any sense whatsoever.

I think that kind of covers it though I may be missing some.
5 is not mutually exclusive of 1-4, however. Though, it most accurately applies to the principals involved in this mess to begin with.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Phoenix LXXXI: The NHL leaked details of how crappy and weak their 'deal' is to put pressure on the city council? Right. Okay.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that. Leaking the details shows how generous and flexible the league is being in their efforts to keep the team in Phoenix. We know that's dishonest, but taking $45m down with a 5 year working capital loan to get things straight certainly looks generous at first glance. If they end up selling for north of $200m to QC, it makes it look like they did everything possible.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
The Fortress loan seems to be the ugly warning flag to me, not the loan from the league. Nearly impossible to pay back and incapable of running the arena, just ridiculous. Especially when the owner of the Kings also has AEG which could have run that arena properly the last 4 years. Maybe the Coyotes are just a tax shelter for the NHL somehow.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I wonder why they would be meeting with an outside legal firm to discuss matters pursuant to the external (points A&B top of the list under Legal) audit?... and these Workshops are all in Executive Session yes?

Executive Session. Or maybe Gary and Bill will play a wildcard and announce they're selling to Team Gosbee for $45MM and advancing them $85MM of revenue sharing in a operating capital revolver; then, Glendale approves a 5-year lease at AMF $6MM/yr that shares building revenue at an equitable level between Gosbee/City

:laugh:

Yeah, right.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
May 31st is supposed to be the deadline day, according to the NHL under oath in court proceedings, and this would seem to be the day of decision for the Coyotes yet it's unusually quiet and no storms appear to be around and word is maybe the NHL made up the 5/31 deadline for whatever reason. Only in this saga would the big day go by with nary a whisper while the true big day will come out of the blue and smack everyone upside the head.

Or is the NHL so stupid as to entrap themselves in a situation where it's too late to relocate, they don't have the AMUL with Glendale but maybe can make a deal with Glendale/the new arena management (who will be a third party) to let the Coyotes play there, but without any kind of subsidy or AMF, where the NHL has to eat a full season of losses and make no doubt even more disenfranchised Coyotes fans? And all of this for what, for spite? For being so delusionally tunnel vision with a big payday over QC expansion fee and Seattle as a potential relocation destination, missing that the timing for both those things may be off (expansion, Seattle being ready), especially as the latter has to wait on the NBA expanding to Seattle based on positions all parties staked.

nelina

May 28, 2013
Saguenay, QC
Phoenix LXXXI: Flight LXJ531....please respond.....Flight LXJ531 please respond....we lost you on the radar....

Last flight they took to LA was in fact 531.... 5-31.... such an ironic coincidence

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
:laugh:Yeah, right.

:laugh:............ well. Its 6:49pm in the west. May 31st. No Press Release from the NHL. Seems they dont care about sworn dep's & "oats" there CF. Cant even think to cover themselves with something vaguely threatening, innocuous.

nelina

May 28, 2013
Saguenay, QC
Just found a french article saying that Molson-Coors has a deal with the NHL 7 years for 375M in sponsorship. For me, this is a part of the answer

Greyhounds

Sep 30, 2005
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
The Fortress loan seems to be the ugly warning flag to me, not the loan from the league. Nearly impossible to pay back and incapable of running the arena, just ridiculous. Especially when the owner of the Kings also has AEG which could have run that arena properly the last 4 years. Maybe the Coyotes are just a tax shelter for the NHL somehow.

Fortress of Solitude? :dunno:

GF

Nov 4, 2012
Are we on board for 26 more fortnight of insanity?

It can't be.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
:laugh:............ well. Its 6:49pm in the west. May 31st. No Press Release from the NHL. Seems they dont care about sworn dep's & "oats" there CF. Cant even think to cover themselves with something vaguely threatening, innocuous.

I'm going to stay at my post here waiting for any news until 11:59 Hawaii time (or is Guam the latest U.S. time zone this side of the International Date line?), and if nothing happens by then, I'm going to give up following this for good. Won't look back. Cold Turkey. Yup.

nelina

May 28, 2013
Saguenay, QC
Are we on board for 26 more fortnight of insanity?

It can't be.

Sounds like it....I am a rookie on this forum and I am glad to have found this place.
I learned a lot from intelligent people who gave their feelings, arguments, hypothesis on this weird situation. Beyond the business we are all hockey fans wherever we come from and it seems NHL doesn't ****ing care. We are just numbers and statistics...

Last edited by a moderator:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I imagine the league could get away with maintaining the May 31st illusion due to the late start this season. It's an imaginary deadline, for us.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
as far as the May 31st deadline..the NHL could use the lockout as an excuse...say the season started late and next season will begin late also...which gives them another week or two.

The Jets announcement came the day before the Finals began...if the league still plans on moving the Coyotes to Quebec I'm going to guess they will announce it the day before Finals..in about 2 weeks.

Until then they will continue this last ditch attempt to get a deal done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad