Phoenix LXXX: Is there another way out?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
The only way you will know relocation is imminent is if in the next NHL announcement they ominously say that the deal is in trouble, faltering or dead. That will be the tip off. I'd say after that it would be hard to control the leaks, as it was with Winnipeg. I still say next week will be the turning point.

Next week there cannot be a turning point because the team cannot be relocated after May 31, so by the looks of it, the team is staying put(who pays the bills I don't know).

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Any chance the NHL wants this held on for 5 years, but instead of no expansion, sets up a bidding war for 1 franchise between Quebec, Seattle, and Markham?

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012
How can RSE finalize the deal? It seems there are three possibilities, though it seems all are unlikely.

1. The COG caves into the demands/threats of the NHL/RSE and awards a $13-15 million a year AMF.

2. Fortress decides that $6 million a year is doable. In addition, COG goes with RSE's proposal, which isn't a slam dunk given the group's inexperience with managing venues and attracting shows.

3. RSE finds some other way to raise $120 million.

Is this over-simplyfying things too much?

HamiltonFan

bettman's a Weasel
May 4, 2009
Any chance the NHL wants this held on for 5 years, but instead of no expansion, sets up a bidding war for 1 franchise between Quebec, Seattle, and Markham?

That would be like setting up a gunfight, in which Markham shows up with a machine gun, while Quebec and Seattle are armed with switchblades.

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
Next week there cannot be a turning point because the team cannot be relocated after May 31, so by the looks of it, the team is staying put(who pays the bills I don't know).

No, that May 31st date given in a bankruptcy court 4 years ago is not some sort of an internal or externally binding contract. The NHL is under no obligation to stick with that date. It was nothing more than a good faith estimate of the amount of time needed. If it goes a week or two beyond or a month beyond it won't matter.

I don't even think there is anyone who would or could legally challenge the move. The city doesn't have a lease agreement with the team or any sort of contract for the upcoming season. They are under no illusions and understand that the team could move.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
Pastor's comments on terms of RSE deal:

Darin Pastor, the California businessman, whose first offer for the team was rejected by the NHL, was offering to pay up to $277 million for the Coyotes and was asking for no more than $8 million from the City of Glendale to run Jobing.com Arena.
He was surprised at the reported terms for the purchase of the team.
“As I understand through the media, the league has chosen RSE’s proposal,†Pastor wrote via email. “After reviewing what has been reported about this proposal, I believe my offer supplies superior benefits for all parties concerned.â€

Just walk away Darin, you don't want to go into the Monkey House...

ahplk

Sep 25, 2011

Not sure if there's any truth to it, but it's been suggested around these parts that the 2014 season could be pushed a little ahead since playoffs will be going later than usual due to the lockout.

When the Jets were announced 2 years ago today, it was on the eve of the Stanley Cup Finals but we're only at the eve of the Conference Finals.

Give it another two weeks :sarcasm:

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I wouldn't be surprised if all the paperwork from PKP is already signed except for the last binding signature on the contract. Just probably waiting for the last shoe to drop in Glendale.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Hoping there is a plethora of bids when the envelopes are opened tonight.

Even just enough bids to make RSE take a few steps back, then a few more, then a few until they reach the end of the cliff :)

Envelopes opened?? They have probably already received and starting reviewing bids already. By Monday they will have an idea of where everyone came in at and will probably relay that to the CoG so they know where they stand re Renaissance.

A lot tighter schedule then what went on with HECFI in Hamilton, but then again Hamilton had the luxury of all the time on their hands...

Evaluating the responses to RFPs does not take that long if it is done right. When they published the RFP they should have already determined a rating scale for scoring answers (1-5 or so), a weighting of the questions with the more important having higher weights, and they should know what answers will get what scores. For example if you ask the question "How many events do you estimate will be held at Jobing and the attendance per event" you could indicate that this question has a weight of 4 (of 5) and a score of "5" would require 100+ events with a total attendance of 700k or more, a 4 would be 75-100 with 525k or more attendance, etc.

If they did that, evaluating for the first cut is easy and takes only a few days.

No, that May 31st date given in a bankruptcy court 4 years ago is not some sort of an internal or externally binding contract. The NHL is under no obligation to stick with that date. It was nothing more than a good faith estimate of the amount of time needed. If it goes a week or two beyond or a month beyond it won't matter.

I don't even think there is anyone who would or could legally challenge the move. The city doesn't have a lease agreement with the team or any sort of contract for the upcoming season. They are under no illusions and understand that the team could move.

The NHL used that date in order to persuade a ruling in their favor, no other reason. The NHL schedule is done with consideration to the NBA schedule since there are many of the big market teams that share arenas with the NBA.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I wouldn't be surprised if all the paperwork from PKP is already signed except for the last binding signature on the contract. Just probably waiting for the last shoe to drop in Glendale.

With no leaks whatsoever? I'd find that extremely surprising. When the Jets relocated there were whisperings for weeks (kyreos reporting on the negotiations etc.) and then the G&M was reporting it was a done deal when Chipman said it was far from done at that point in time. I don't see how it can be so advanced that all that is left is a signature with no reports leaking.

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
With no leaks whatsoever? I'd find that extremely surprising. When the Jets relocated there were whisperings for weeks (kyreos reporting on the negotiations etc.) and then the G&M was reporting it was a done deal when Chipman said it was far from done at that point in time. I don't see how it can be so advanced that all that is left is a signature with no reports leaking.

Well, there was a leak a week ago that a MOU had already been signed between the NHL and PKP pending on the NHL's failure to close a sale in Glendale.

ahplk

Sep 25, 2011

The only thing this time around is that the NHL owns the team.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
You forgot that we already had leaks about some negotiation going on via Rejean Tremblay. Then Dreger leaks that the League is not really liking that deal. Add to that Daly closing statement about "expeditiously" when they left Glendale after the meeting and the fact that somebody leaked the whole details of the deal yesterday. Not to mention that somebody reported that either Daly or Bettman called the RFP "silly". Plenty of leaks to go around and likely more to come.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

If I was the NHL I would create a bidding war, but not the way you describe. So lets go 5 years in the future and assume the Coyotes are still in Glendale, but RSE is taking their $40M and throwing the keys on Bettman's ( yes he will still be around 5 years from now ) desk....

I would have one team available via relocation and I would have one team available via expansion. I would create 2 different bidding wars for the two teams being available.

1- A bidding war between Quebec City and Seattle. Let them duke it out for the relocation of the Coyotes.

and

2 - A bidding war for Southern Ontario. There is only one Southern Ontario and you can only expand to it once, so milk it for all you can. Hopefully you would have multiple bidders that would cause the price to skyrocket.

halligan10

Mar 6, 2012
Palm Harbor
You forgot that we already had leaks about some negotiation going on via Rejean Tremblay. Then Dreger leaks that the League is not really liking that deal. Add to that Daly closing statement about "expeditiously" when they left Glendale after the meeting and the fact that somebody leaked the whole details of the deal yesterday. Not to mention that somebody reported that either Daly or Bettman called the RFP "silly". Plenty of leaks to go around and likely more to come.

This would be my vote for the next thread "The Silly RFP"

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
2 - A bidding war for Southern Ontario. There is only one Southern Ontario and you can only expand to it once, so milk it for all you can. Hopefully you would have multiple bidders that would cause the price to skyrocket.

Pretty sure TO 2 and Hamilton could easily be added and both be profitable with both probably being top 15 in the league in revenue. The territorial BS that prevents Hamilton from getting a team is ludicrous and should have been challenged in court years ago. Two teams in LA and only one in souther Ontario.:shakehead

LouisOlivier

May 1, 2013
Ville de Québec
Pretty sure TO 2 and Hamilton could easily be added and both be profitable with both probably being top 15 in the league in revenue. The territorial BS that prevents Hamilton from getting a team is ludicrous and should have been challenged in court years ago. Two teams in LA and only one in souther Ontario.:shakehead

Yeah that's life of a typical canadians. Ya know we lose our great team to a City that doesn't give a damn about hockey. This team was more than just a sports teams for us, and the NHL will never let our team to come back.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah that's life of a typical canadians. Ya know we lose our great team to a City that doesn't give a damn about hockey. This team was more than just a sports teams for us, and the NHL will never let our team to come back.

They will be back, Ice Edge's plan has more holes then Swiss:help: cheese.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
They will be back, Ice Edge's plan has more holes then Swiss:help: cheese.

I'm waiting for Hulsizer to come back to the ''bidding war'' for the Coyotes, after all he's 0-2 in trying to land an NHL franchise, maybe third times the charm.:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad