Recalled/Assigned: Phillip Broberg recalled...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Such a silky smooth skater, and he looks to be at least 6'5 now when looking at him next to 6'4 Skinner. People who were claiming he could only skate well forwards in some of his prospect threads are so out of touch with reality.

My biggest hope for Broberg has always been centered around his ridiculous natural gifts (size and skating ability). He is so tall, that if he can put on some "man weight/strength", he could be a physical force. Couple that to his skating ability and you have the beginnings of a NHL defender.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
It's not even a maybe. His top end speed and overall skating is without a doubt better than Klefboms. Klef was a smooth skater and overall above average skater, but he didn't skate like Broberg.

Yeah, I don't think its even close either. I'm not the biggest Broberg fan on here, but his skating is NHL-elite. He is probably the 2nd or 3rd best skater on the Oilers right now, or thereabouts anyhow. Simply fantastic wheels.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It's not even a maybe. His top end speed and overall skating is without a doubt better than Klefboms. Klef was a smooth skater and overall above average skater, but he didn't skate like Broberg.

At the risk of being misquoted or flamed again I will say this. Broberg is an incredible forwards skating defenseman. It is obvious with his ability to carry the puck from the d-zone to the o-zone. Its why many liken him to Nurse since they both excel in this area.

From my limited viewings, but not unsubstantial, he is nowhere near as good a skater backwards or laterally as he is on the rush. Many times in my viewings his backwards and lateral skating in the defensive zone leave much to be desired.

This may already be coached out of him in the AHL this year. It may have just been a lack of intensity in the D-zone but I noticed that for someone who is blisteringly fast on the rush he somehow gets beat to pucks in his own zone at a higher rate than you would expect. With his reach and speed he should have a huge advantage in puck retrievals over someone like Russell or even Keith as quick examples.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Thought I would chime in to say I have been impressed with him for the most part early on into his career. I have been one of his detractors, but haven't had the chance to watch him outside of the WJCs really before very much. So far he looks pretty decent, and the skills are pretty obvious. His weak PK clear was not good last night, and he has made some other rookie mistakes, but I can certainly see why people get excited about the possibilities for him. We need a healthy team though, and him being back in the AHL. He can likely tread water at the NHL level, but that isn't best for his development. A full year in the AHL this year and then 3rd pairing next year should be the development path. The cup of coffee he is getting now (which might end up being longer, depending on the Keith injury) will do wonders for him though, as it will show him how far he needs to go.

Hopefully the rumored Holland trade for a LHD happens. We need help on the left side rather badly IMO, and that is made more real with the injuries we have suffered. Our first rounder and any prospect not named Holloway or Bourgault should be on the table for discussion for a D-upgrade.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Lol, I think the biggest Broberg fan will tell you his ride the last two years has been a bumpy affair. But his AHL stint and his first NHL game have both been good. I hope he continues to develop.

Having:

Nurse and Broberg on the LD for the foreseeable future both big and fast will really pair well with Bouchard, Barrie, and Ceci who are all not particularly fast or big.

I think its very premature and potentially too expensive sooner than later but very complimentary if everything works out. Bouchard just looks incredible to my eye and if he keeps getting better I don't know how we will be able to afford him, and Pulj, and Yama, and maybe Holloway, and maybe Borg...

Its a good problem to have tho.
We should be able to afford most of them. Ceci, Keith, and Barrie will be off the books on D to make room for Broberg and Bouchard.

Nurse-Bouchard
Broberg-X
X-X

We just need to keep drafting well

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
We should be able to afford most of them. Ceci, Keith, and Barrie will be off the books on D to make room for Broberg and Bouchard.

Nurse-Bouchard
Broberg-X
X-X

We just need to keep drafting well

And maybe add Samorukov on the third pairing in a couple years, not against getting a vet to fill that role till he's ready.

Reactions: oilers'72

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Some fans have thrown around the Bouwmeester comp but I’m not sure how accurate that is. I think they’re quite a bit different still

Less physical Klefbom.
Not at all comparable to a defence stud like Ekholm.

Another one could be Zach Werenski

Reactions: Oilhawks

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Less physical Klefbom.
Not at all comparable to a defence stud like Ekholm.

Another one could be Zach Werenski
I know we’re talking comparisons but Ekholm played his first NHL season at 23 years old. Maybe they are not that close, but going up in attack he looks a bit like Ekholm, only faster. Ekholm is awesome all over though, love him as a player.
Love Ekholm, such a great player to watch. Broberg we’ll see, it’s looking good and apart from his injury time last year he’s been trending really good.

Last edited:

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
He makes high quality d-zone reads now, but let's wait and see when the pressure changes (when he eventually plays playoff games).

I hope he doesn't get physically crushed as often as he does and that he's given some leeway for testing out his offensive instincts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad