Recalled/Assigned: Phillip Broberg recalled...

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Glad he's getting the experience and he's showing a lot of good things since being thrown into the fire. He's getting caved in for goals against though. He shouldn't be one of our top 6 d-men when fully healthy. Maybe at the end of the year after some more experience down in the AHL.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Four games into an NHL audition and doled out progressive time on ice culminating with twenty three and a half minutes against Vegas is impressive. He's a work in progress in terms of his reads in d-zone play but this a quick learner with a tantalizing package of size and skill. Leading the Oil blue liners in minutes against a top rival in their barn and logging time to close out a white knuckle ride reveals substantive trust earned from this coaching staff.

Lots of potential for this twenty year old thrust through injury into a rejigged NHL blue line. Lots to like as Broberg continues to evolve his game to play effectively in North American and the game's highest level.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Glad he's getting the experience and he's showing a lot of good things since being thrown into the fire. He's getting caved in for goals against though. He shouldn't be one of our top 6 d-men when fully healthy. Maybe at the end of the year after some more experience down in the AHL.
Who's better though, Koekkoek? The guy who is getting caved while playing minutes so easy that Broberg probably hasn't seen since he was 16 years old.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

Goal 1. He was getting out of the box the second the goal was scored. Clearly not this fault.

Goal 2. Ceci was the player that didn't catch his man's stick. Not Broberg's fault.

Goal 3. He was in a bit deep and got caught on the 2 on 1. I can see blame placed on Broberg here.

Goal 4. I'm not sure I see blame on Broberg here. He pushes Keller to the edge of the zone and once again another tip goal.

Boyd deflects puck five-hole

Goal 5

Not a great reaction to the bouncing puck here. I can see blame on Broberg.
Smith scores goal

--
Out of 5 goals he was on the ice, I can see 1 goal that was a poor reaction and 1 goal where he was caught on a 2 on 1 where the rest of the team was in deep.

That's getting caved?

JayE

Sep 24, 2016

When he's far and away better than any other #3 LD? Why?

Reactions: oilers'72

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Who's better though, Koekkoek? The guy who is getting caved while playing minutes so easy that Broberg probably hasn't seen since he was 16 years old.
Kris Russell is more reliable for preventing GA. Koekkoek should never play though.

Goal 1. He was getting out of the box the second the goal was scored. Clearly not this fault.

Goal 2. Ceci was the player that didn't catch his man's stick. Not Broberg's fault.

Goal 3. He was in a bit deep and got caught on the 2 on 1. I can see blame placed on Broberg here.

Goal 4. I'm not sure I see blame on Broberg here. He pushes Keller to the edge of the zone and once again another tip goal.

Boyd deflects puck five-hole

Goal 5

Not a great reaction to the bouncing puck here. I can see blame on Broberg.
Smith scores goal

--
Out of 5 goals he was on the ice, I can see 1 goal that was a poor reaction and 1 goal where he was caught on a 2 on 1 where the rest of the team was in deep.

That's getting caved?

It's 6GA. You're missing the first one which was on the PK where he failed to clear the puck on a rim around the boards.

So yes... 6GA in 4 games where the team is 3-1 is getting caved.

As I said, he's doing a lot of things well, but he still looks like a rookie right now.

He's in a tough situation though. Called up and thrown right into the top 4 after one game. That's trial by fire for sure. I just think it would be better for his development to be dominating down in the AHL for the majority of the year.

Obviously with the situation we are in now we need him up here and he's performing admirably. But if we are fully healthy he's not in my lineup right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerchon

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Kris Russell is more reliable for preventing GA. Koekkoek should never play though.

It's 6GA. You're missing the first one which was on the PK where he failed to clear the puck on a rim around the boards.

So yes... 6GA in 4 games where the team is 3-1 is getting caved.

As I said, he's doing a lot of things well, but he still looks like a rookie right now.

It's not getting caved if the player isn't at fault for the goals, being the point.

If the majority of the goals were his fault, your point would be stronger.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It's not getting caved if the player isn't at fault for the goals, being the point.

If the majority of the goals were his fault, your point would be stronger.
Having fault in 3 goals against in 4 games is pretty bad for a d-man. I guess we're just disagreeing on the definition of "caved" lol.

Reactions: Senor Catface

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Four games into an NHL audition and doled out progressive time on ice culminating with twenty three and a half minutes against Vegas is impressive. He's a work in progress in terms of his reads in d-zone play but this a quick learner with a tantalizing package of size and skill. Leading the Oil blue liners in minutes against a top rival in their barn and logging time to close out a white knuckle ride reveals substantive trust earned from this coaching staff.

Lots of potential for this twenty year old thrust through injury into a rejigged NHL blue line. Lots to like as Broberg continues to evolve his game to play effectively in North American and the game's highest level.

He had some rough moments last night but when a 20 year old rookie (who has never played in North America prior to this season) can log 23 minutes (single game) in the NHL against a strong team like Vegas then that in itself is a major league accomplishment. I can't see him going back down to the AHL for very long--if at all.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Lots of potential with Broberg, it'll be interesting to see what we do roster wise when Keith, 4K and Ceci return.

I say send him back. Now that he's tested his abilities against NHLers and identified what he needs to work on he can begin to address them in the AHL playing in all situations.

We need him to be the dynamic player he was projected to be. To maximize his potential he needs to be in a developmental league. Kid is 20, at 22 he'll be Heiskanening the league.

On a side note. I liked the head nod of support McDavid gave the kid when he missed a shot from inside the circles off a face off, in the game against the Kings. Broberg's got compete and IIRC one of the things that surprised Woodcroft about the kid is how much of a gamer he is.

Zegras is nice but with Broberg, the "This is how I win" meme from Uncut Gems keeps running through my mind.

Last edited:

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
He’s -6 in 7 games there’s not much of a discussion to be had.

Although I agree with your general premise, I think it's a little more nuanced than just his plus minus. I mean right away two 2 on 1's come into mind, both mistakes made by veteran dmen leaving him defending on his own.

I think there's still some positives: for example, I haven't seen many of the mistakes that have maligned Bouchard. Players don't slip behind him in coverage near the blue paint, he does a excellent job in puck retrievals, reads plays well for his age picking off passes and takeaways. Not to mention his puck transporting is dynamic and makes quick decisions when he gains the zone.

I agree he should be sent back, but not because he can't play at this level now. He should be sent back so he maximizes his skillset and isn't as tentative.

Reactions: Oilhawks

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
And our team as a whole has been trash during his time here.

Exactly a minus on this team rn shouldn't be used as indictment on single player, let alone a 20 year old rookie playing top 4 minutes in some games. Not saying he's absolved off all the defensive hardships of this team but I am not concerned about +/- when Barrie and Russel are losing wall battles and the kid is the last man back.

Edit: and on one of them he made aggressive decision in an attempt to beat Kessel to the puck at the blue line. I can't blame any dman that defends the line. That's one of the reasons I like Broberg and Nemo.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Although I agree with your general premise, I think it's a little more nuanced than just his plus minus. I mean right away two 2 on 1's come into mind, both mistakes made by veteran dmen leaving him defending on his own.

I think there's still some positives: for example, I haven't seen many of the mistakes that have maligned Bouchard. Players don't slip behind him in coverage near the blue paint, he does a excellent job in puck retrievals, reads plays well for his age picking off passes and takeaways. Not to mention his puck transporting is dynamic and makes quick decisions when he gains the zone.

I agree he should be sent back, but not because he can't play at this level now. He should be sent back so he maximizes his skillset and isn't as tentative.
My philosophy with prospects is if they aren’t impact players they should go down. Maybe Broberg can tread water in this league with a reduced role despite the horrific results he’s getting right now but clearly he’s not currently making an impact on our roster. There’s a lot to gain by sending him down. Very little to gain and a lot to lose keeping him up.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He’s -6 in 7 games there’s not much of a discussion to be had.

That depends on what Tipp and Holland think. I don't think that this is the season that we shoot for the moon and sell of a lot of quality assets to chase the cup. If getting Broberg NHL experience this season to help him be ready for a role on a cup contending team next season then it might be better for him to keep getting games in. Neither Russell nor Koekkoek are good enough to keep him out of the lineup.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Which coincides with all of our D going down at once and being replaced by players like Broberg.

It predates that. How many times have we been chasing the lead in the last 10 games? Now I'm not saying that we haven't missed Nurse, Keith and Ceci as that would be BS. What I am saying is that Broberg has not been the problem and as a matter of fact he has helped us win games by eating a lot of minutes.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It predates that. How many times have we been chasing the lead in the last 10 games? Now I'm not saying that we haven't missed Nurse, Keith and Ceci as that would be BS. What I am saying is that Broberg has not been the problem and as a matter of fact he has helped us win games by eating a lot of minutes.
When you are a d man and your team has been out scored 8-2 with you on the ice at even strength you are a problem. A 20 year old D man needs to be booting the door down to stick and that ain’t it. Way more to gain by sending him down where he was having success than waiting till he’s -20 and is confidence is gone.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
My philosophy with prospects is if they aren’t impact players they should go down. Maybe Broberg can tread water in this league with a reduced despite the horrific results he’s getting right now but clearly he’s not currently making an impact on our roster. There’s a lot to gain by sending him down. Very little to gain and a lot to lose keeping him up.

That's fair. We're kind of on the same wavelength. I agree he's not impact player with the current dman we have available, requiring him to punch above his weight. Even though, I am not too concerned with his results given how the team has been playing. However, with a solid defensive dman ex Larsson, he would be fine with what he's displayed.

But, it would do greater service if on his next call up he played like the dynamic 2 way dman that he is. I don't want to rush this player; Bouchard is a impact player and that's because the organization took their time developing him. I can be happy with what he's displayed and also the potential of what he can become as he "percolates" through our AHL system.

And, on the offseason, Nurse can take Broberg just like he took Bouchard under his wing. Wouldn't mind him training with the boys in Ontario and continue to develop chem.

Reactions: voxel and MessierII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad