Recalled/Assigned: Phillip Broberg recalled...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
I only caught the first 2 periods, but Broberg looked fairly solid out there. Considering it was his first game, I can now say that I was impressed. I was surprised by how willing he was to make timely pinches down the boards and he shot the puck more than I expected.

Easy to see the offensive upside that folks talk about. Not typical for a young defenseman to be confident enough to make a few of the plays that he did, in the first NHL game of their career. Encouraging to see him with the willingness to play to his own strengths rather than just try to play to stay in the lineup.

I'll be watching him closely to try and get a better gauge on the defensive side of his game.

Anybody with more time watching him in the AHL/SHL care to comment on his defensive strengths or weaknesses?

Last edited:

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I only caught the first 2 periods, but Broberg looked fairly solid out there. Considering it was his first game, I can now say that I was inpressed. I was surprised by how willing he was to make timely pinches down the boards and he shot the puck more than I expected.

Easy to see the offensive upside that folks talk about. Not typical for a young defenseman to be confident enough to make a few of the plays that he did, in the first NHL game of their career. Encouraging to see him with the willingness to play to his own strengths rather than just try to play to stay in the lineup.

I'll be watching him closely to try and get a better gauge on the defensive side of his game.

Anybody with more time watching him in the AHL/SHL care to comment on his defensive strengths or weaknesses?

Definitely had a strong game and he played almost 15 minutes. Looked good doing it and I’m happy to see he got on the score sheet.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
For those wondering, the mystery is over. This is how you pronounce Phil’s last name:

SOURCE: Native Swedish Speaker

I hear Broo-Berry

USED IN A QUICK POEM
The Oilers are playing great,
They have a game on Tuesday and I can’t wait.
I hope your Christmases are Merry,
Sincerely, Philip Broberg.

If you pronounce his name correctly, it should rhyme :)

That’s a really weird way to say Broberg, and I am a native Swedish speaker as well (lived abroad since many years though, so who knows)

Reactions: oilers'72

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
I only caught the first 2 periods, but Broberg looked fairly solid out there. Considering it was his first game, I can now say that I was impressed. I was surprised by how willing he was to make timely pinches down the boards and he shot the puck more than I expected.

He wasn’t timid defensively either, played his man close and challenged at the blue line something I would like to see more of from other defencemen. Trusts his abilities to recover, overall a great debut.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
How would you pronounce it, going by Swedish instinct?
Last time I tried to write out how to pronounce a name I got called out by other Swedes for being bad at it! I’d have to record it for you :laugh:

Broo-berry is not bad, it just sounded weird with that voice. Maybe I’d switch to broo-berri, not to come down with the y, but up instead with an i

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Last time I tried to write out how to pronounce a name I got called out by other Swedes for being bad at it! I’d have to record it for you :laugh:

Broo-berry is not bad, it just sounded weird with that voice. Maybe I’d switch to broo-berri, not to come down with the y, but up instead with an i

That sounds challenging to enunciate. Therefore....I will call him Blueberry.

iu

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Liked the physicality from him yesterday.

He has potential to be an absolute two way stud.

I think his game his better suited for the NA style and ice.

Hopefully he develops a bit of mean streak, if he can channel his inner Viking berserker ancestors we’re going to be laughing. Nurse, Bouchard, Broberg that’s a big, fast, and skilled D core to build around.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007

Hopefully he develops a bit of mean streak, if he can channel his inner Viking berserker ancestors we’re going to be laughing. Nurse, Bouchard, Broberg that’s a big, fast, and skilled D core to build around.
Yup we're going to see this Swedish kid develop into a stud is my bet, hopefully his family have been bringing him up with Swedish Viking metal!!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
We were watching the game with friends and not really thinking about Broberg, and then part way through the second, I mentioned, hey, I forgot about him, I wonder if he's playing or Lagesson is? (we had the volume off as the gals were yakking in the adjacent room). And then we looked and saw #86, and all agreed that for a rookie dman playing your very first NHL game, not being noticed is a very good thing. After that, we paid more attention. A couple things I noticed is how tall and lanky he is, with a big smooth fluid stride. And on another play he skated the puck out of trouble effortlessly, leaving the forecheckers in the dust, just as has been advertised by some on here with AHL viewings.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

I’ve not heard him lately, but a year or so ago he was saying he tried to model his game on Hedman, but more physical. That would be something!
Go go go!

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton

Broo-barry

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Looks to be a promising talent, as you would expect from 8th overall draft selection. Noticed he already does excellent job breaking up plays before they develop through the neutral zone and saw him deny zone entry on a few occasions.

It had been mentioned before that he needed to work on his defensive positioning and awareness along with adapting to the NA game. He looks to have made progress because he was good positionally almost all game and displayed excellent coverage down low (boxing out and lifting sticks to prevent deflections)

You can tell he has a lot more to give and was tentative and that's to be expected, given that it's his first NHL game. I pray the fan base is patient with this player, he's 20 years old with a elite level upside. Very soon teams are gonna have nightmares having to line up against our 3 headed monster of Nurse, Bouch and Broberg in the back end. But, proper handling, development and patience (by organization and fans) of this prospect will be pivotal in order for it to happen.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
From "raw skills are there" draft prospect in the second Swedish league
to SHL rookie
to nearly doubling SHL production
to excellent AHL rookie
to first NHL point

All within 2+ years.

Lol, I think the biggest Broberg fan will tell you his ride the last two years has been a bumpy affair. But his AHL stint and his first NHL game have both been good. I hope he continues to develop.

Having:

Nurse and Broberg on the LD for the foreseeable future both big and fast will really pair well with Bouchard, Barrie, and Ceci who are all not particularly fast or big.

I think its very premature and potentially too expensive sooner than later but very complimentary if everything works out. Bouchard just looks incredible to my eye and if he keeps getting better I don't know how we will be able to afford him, and Pulj, and Yama, and maybe Holloway, and maybe Borg...

Its a good problem to have tho.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
For those wondering, the mystery is over. This is how you pronounce Phil’s last name:

SOURCE: Native Swedish Speaker

I hear Broo-Berry

USED IN A QUICK POEM
The Oilers are playing great,
They have a game on Tuesday and I can’t wait.
I hope your Christmases are Merry,
Sincerely, Philip Broberg.

If you pronounce his name correctly, it should rhyme :)

When I first heard of this -berry pronounciation I wondered about Peter Forsberg. Yes, it is pronounced "Forsberry"

It reminds me of when we got Sekera and was pronouncing the name "Se-care-ah", but it is pronunced "Seker-ah"

But, this berry business is perhaps a bit weird. I don't foresee game announcers saying it that way.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Lol, I think the biggest Broberg fan will tell you his ride the last two years has been a bumpy affair. But his AHL stint and his first NHL game have both been good. I hope he continues to develop.

Having:

Nurse and Broberg on the LD for the foreseeable future both big and fast will really pair well with Bouchard, Barrie, and Ceci who are all not particularly fast or big.

I think its very premature and potentially too expensive sooner than later but very complimentary if everything works out. Bouchard just looks incredible to my eye and if he keeps getting better I don't know how we will be able to afford him, and Pulj, and Yama, and maybe Holloway, and maybe Borg...

Its a good problem to have tho.
Bouchard is 6'3
Ceci is 6'2

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hopefully he keeps building on his first game.

Hes probably always going to be compared to Zegras. But you cant find a dman who's as big and fast as him without drafting one. And considering our left side without Klefbom, Broberg panning out, would be great for us.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Bouchard is 6'3
Ceci is 6'2

And both well known for being punishing physical defenders...

I think Bouchard as he gets older and stronger may add some sandpaper to his game but even at 6'3" in the NHL that doesn't necessarily mean he will play "big". Not like guys like Nurse and Broberg can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad