Recalled/Assigned: Phillip Broberg recalled...

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I hope Broberg uses this chance to solidify himself as an NHL regular. Koekkoek/Russell need to be in the pressbox 95% of the time. Koekkoek is fine as a #7 imo

Nurse - Bouchard
Keith - Ceci
Broberg - Barrie
Koekkoek

that's a decent defence, top 10 offensively, average to slightly below defensively

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I am absolutely excited to see Broberg in a real NHL game.

He played against Calgary in a preseason game and was lol bad after being ridiculously pumped up by media sources watching him at practice.

He is such a raw talent and this is such a big opportunity that he "could" come in and just be great. Story book type start to his nhl career.

Smart money is on the opposite but damn am I excited to see this kid come in and give it a go.
Just don’t expect him to be Lidstrom in his first game lol

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I should add, in limited viewings he has not done a single thing to impress me, personally. All of the hype surrounding Brogerg, at least in my frame of reference, is word of mouth.

not even close to being true. I’ve watched all his AHL games. He’s gotten better every game so I don’t know where you are getting this from?

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I hope Broberg uses this chance to solidify himself as an NHL regular. Koekkoek/Russell need to be in the pressbox 95% of the time. Koekkoek is fine as a #7 imo

Nurse - Bouchard
Keith - Ceci
Broberg - Barrie
Koekkoek

that's a decent defence, top 10 offensively, average to slightly below defensively
I was hoping he'd be eased in on third pair... get used to this pace and then slowly get more minutes and opportunity.

Now I htink he'll be thrust into the fire right away. Hope everyone is patient for at least 2 games as I expect warts and then success. Kind of like how skinner let in a brutal goal against Detroit and then pulled a Scrivens against the Jets a few weeks later.

We have a huge points advantage and are comfortably in the playoffs. Great timing for a Nurse injury if you have to have one.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
From I've read, the NA game is starting to click with him in Bakersfield. If he plays his game and keeps it simple he will be fine.
I would not be surprised if he surprises up here.
I'm hoping it's a 1 way ticket and by the time Nurse is healed it's obvious he should stay. I do expect warts between now and then though. Hope TIpp is patient like he was with Bear and Jones 2 seasons ago.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I was hoping he'd be eased in on third pair... get used to this pace and then slowly get more minutes and opportunity.

Now I htink he'll be thrust into the fire right away. Hope everyone is patient for at least 2 games as I expect warts and then success. Kind of like how skinner let in a brutal goal against Detroit and then pulled a Scrivens against the Jets a few weeks later.

We have a huge points advantage and are comfortably in the playoffs. Great timing for a Nurse injury if you have to have one.

No one should expect him to play flawless hockey, just hope that he can bring more good than bad while gaining valuable experience.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Posted this in the summer but bears repeating considering the circumstances:
I golfed with a young star player in the NHL today and we got talking about the Oilers, unprompted and kind of out of the blue he says “Broberg is going to be a stud. I’ve played against him and he’s just so big and so fast.”

(then his buddy who also plays in the NHL says “ya until he has a bad couple of games and the Oiler fans run him out of town” lol). Andddddd judging by some of our posters in here, he probably wasn’t wrong about that haha

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
from what I've seen, when he's on he can look like the best Dman out there because he has skill, and most of all great mobility. He can look underwhelming too, and at this point he may be very vulnerable to hot and cold streaks as he refines his decision making. For any D based on mobility, decision making must be a strong suit because their skating is a double edged sword. You can quickly get to great position, but also quickly get to the wrong position. So I'm a little antsy about Broberg. But, giving him a few games can inform his development, as would being up on the big team and not playing (like Bouchard benefited from)

Don't forget that he's 20 years old. His decision making will improve. His time playing up the NHL until Nurse returns will only benefit him when he returns to the AHL.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
not even close to being true. I’ve watched all his AHL games. He’s gotten better every game so I don’t know where you are getting this from?
Haha, of course it's true. Read what I wrote instead of looking for an argument.

I haven't seen anything that has impressed me. How could you even consider calling that untrue? Am I secretly impressed, but lying to try and look cool? :D

That doesn't mean he hasn't been impressive. It means I haven't seen it yet.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I golfed with a young star player in the NHL today and we got talking about the Oilers, unprompted and kind of out of the blue he says “Broberg is going to be a stud. I’ve played against him and he’s just so big and so fast.”

(then his buddy who also plays in the NHL says “ya until he has a bad couple of games and the Oiler fans run him out of town” lol). Andddddd judging by some of our posters in here, he probably wasn’t wrong about that haha

It sucks that he's been inextricably tied to Zegras; it would be nice to have a flashy, point producing winger, but Hyman and RNH are much more multifaceted and bring a lot more to the table (things that this club has desperately needed). RNH can play centre, PKs extremely well, and his defensive game has become very refined, all while putting up points. Hyman's elite forechecking prowess, amazing puck possession on the cycle, PKing ability, power forward mentality, etc. are irreplaceable.
Broberg needs to hear that from the fans, as his ceiling is sky high and can develop into an extremely valuable LD in this league if he comes into a scenario alleviated of draft position comparisons

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It sucks that he's been inextricably tied to Zegras; it would be nice to have a flashy, point producing winger, but Hyman and RNH are much more multifaceted and bring a lot more to the table (things that this club has desperately needed). RNH can play centre, PKs extremely well, and his defensive game has become very refined, all while putting up points. Hyman's elite forechecking prowess, amazing puck possession on the cycle, PKing ability, power forward mentality, etc. are irreplaceable.
Broberg needs to hear that from the fans, as his ceiling is sky high and can develop into an extremely valuable LD in this league if he comes into a scenario alleviated of draft position comparisons

To put it bluntly, I highly f***ing doubt that Zegras has the 2 way game and intangibles that Nuge and Hyman have. Further more, look at Nuge's effect on our elite special teams.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Haha, of course it's true. Read what I wrote instead of looking for an argument.

I haven't seen anything that has impressed me. How could you even consider calling that untrue? Am I secretly impressed, but lying to try and look cool? :D

Usually what happens when your opinion is based on box scores.

Reactions: oilers'72

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
Dmen take time. Especially guys like this. I have all the time in the world for a guy with his toolbox. Thanks for sharing that story.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
To put it bluntly, I highly f***ing doubt that Zegras has the 2 way game and intangibles that Nuge and Hyman have. Further more, look at Nuge's effect on our elite special teams.
He's a flashy, skilled playmaking forward. He would've played on the wing on a scoring line right out of the gate. And if we drafted him, he'd be in either year two or three of his ELC and poised for a considerable raise on his second contract due to inflated production.

Broberg is in year one of his North American pro career and he's at least one more contract away from the kind of earning potential Zegras would've had straight out of his ELC.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

I'm not looking for an argument lol. I've watched him play in the AHL and he's gotten better in every game. It didn't take him a lot of games to get adjusted to the smaller ice surface. Sure not impressive like a superstar. But surprisingly better than where I thought he'd be.

That's fair. I see what you mean lol

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Zegras has been good on the offensive side. But, his defensive game has been poor in this winning streak for the Ducks. -5 or -6

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Zegras has been good on the offensive side. But, his defensive game has been poor in this winning streak for the Ducks. -5 or -6
Zegras has what we already have. When we had those first overall picks, all we did was draft flashy forwards. That didn't help us did it?

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad