Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
There's obviously a reason why the exception is in there in the first place. I think it's something about being able to sign the pro contract. Maybe that can go away with NIL stuff, I don't know.

Yeah not versed in it well enough … but I doubt they expected players to exploit it to pick their destination.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
If he is, and Ehlers has an extension agreed to, the return is gonna hurt like hell
That’s what I figured but if there’s an issue with the two sides, it might be he easiest way to get an extremely good return.
Outside of what most recent big name pending UFAs went for (1st, young roster player, top prospect), it would probably include either an additional prospect and/or 1st round pick equivalent if I was to guess.

Reactions: Buffdog

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
It's probably pretty close. Take out tuition because he's not paying that either way, AHL or NCAA.

I think the point is he's getting something of value (education) that is of significant monetary value, for free. If he signs, that's no longer the case.

At the end of the day, for relatively high picks, you should be prepared to sign them within the first year or two. If you don't think they're NHL ready by then, maybe they shouldn't be first rounders. Hell, if they'd picked a CHL player they'd have to sign him now or have him re enter the draft, no? It's just that a CHL player doesn't have the option to return to juniors for 2 more years.

I also don't think it's about being entitled. I think he has a very legitimate claim to an NHL roster spot somewhere, and I'm certain someone will give him one, so why would you not play every card in your hand to make it happen? It's just a smart move by him. Sucks that the Jets fans get bent over here, but from his perspective, if he knows he can 100% get 900k+ this year, instead of 60-70k, everyone on this website would do the same thing.

Even if there is no one who thinks he is NHL ready, no one on this website would leave a school where they're happy for an low level poor paying job, when they know in a year or two they'll get a much better offer. What's the advantage of playing in the AHL vs. college? Most of the benefit is for the team. If he has to wait a year for the NHL either way he might as well stay in school.

If anyone is entitled it's fans who think just because you got drafted that everything you do should be for the benefit of the team, even over your own wants or desires. "Happy in college? Tough, we spent a high pick on you, suck it up and leave now".

Yeah not versed in it well enough … but I doubt they expected players to exploit it to pick their destination.

Truthfully the problem is you have a draft system that's primarily set up to deal with the CHL rules. It's hard/impossible to adapt the rules to a different league with different regulations of their own. Any conceivable fix would just create new problems. The NCAA isn't going to be okay with guys getting signed and playing 9 pro games before going back. Maybe you could get the NCAA to agree to make it where they could sign their ELC but not have it kick in until later ... but then are you gonna start letting college players re-enter the draft after 2 years like their CHL counterparts? You'd probably have an even harder time signing guys who might be okay with staying in college.

Besides, even the few who do pick their destination, if they're high draft picks they're leaving a lot on the table as compared to those who are signing 2-3 years earlier. They're pushing their ELC years into the age where they could have been raking it in on a 2nd contract instead. If someone's willing to sacrifice millions in career earnings for their freedom, you kind of have to respect it. They're not getting that freedom for free.

The loophole mainly benefits lower picks and lesser prospects who might get buried on the team they were drafted by. Those guys mostly weren't getting signed early anyway, so they're not leaving much if anything on the table.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
There needs to be a rule to prevent young players to refuse to sign a contract to the team who drafted them. Something like 25% of his salary with his new team goes to the team that drafted him. The draft order and salary cap's main goal is to add parity. Young teenagers shouldnt have that much control. If they want the control, give up a part of your paycheck.
This might be the most insane thing I’ve read on this site, and that is truly saying a lot

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
There needs to be a rule to prevent young players to refuse to sign a contract to the team who drafted them. Something like 25% of his salary with his new team goes to the team that drafted him. The draft order and salary cap's main goal is to add parity. Young teenagers shouldnt have that much control. If they want the control, give up a part of your paycheck.
Due diligence is a thing. Figure out if the kid wants anything to do with you before you draft them. And then after you draft them, don't be dumb and f*** around with someone's livelihood. Or they just might walk away from you and rightfully so. They aren't indentured servants.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
A second pairing defensive defender with good analytics signed for cheap and 3 more years? What more are you expecting?
Barring getting someone like Jiricek out of Columbus, Marino kind of fits the Bill of what we need and fits our timeline.
Marino has a no-trade clause kicking in in a week....seems we are on every Americans no-trade list- want to deal with this crap all over again?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
McG and Ehlers (re-signed) for Pulock + something else to even it out?

Ehlers (re-signed), McG for Marino, Mercer and something else to even it out?

McG and Ehlers (re-signed) for Chabot.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
McG and Ehlers (re-signed) for Pulock + something else to even it out?

Ehlers (re-signed), McG for Marino, Mercer and something else to even it out?

McG and Ehlers (re-signed) for Chabot.
Pulock is building a house on LI and fiancee is a long island girl . I doubt she wants to live in Winnipeg (all due respect to winnipeg residents)

Chevy is a patient man . If the right deal isnt there for Rutger he'll wait it out .

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
I think the point is he's getting something of value (education) that is of significant monetary value, for free. If he signs, that's no longer the case.

At the end of the day, for relatively high picks, you should be prepared to sign them within the first year or two. If you don't think they're NHL ready by then, maybe they shouldn't be first rounders. Hell, if they'd picked a CHL player they'd have to sign him now or have him re enter the draft, no? It's just that a CHL player doesn't have the option to return to juniors for 2 more years.

Even if there is no one who thinks he is NHL ready, no one on this website would leave a school where they're happy for an low level poor paying job, when they know in a year or two they'll get a much better offer. What's the advantage of playing in the AHL vs. college? Most of the benefit is for the team. If he has to wait a year for the NHL either way he might as well stay in school.

If anyone is entitled it's fans who think just because you got drafted that everything you do should be for the benefit of the team, even over your own wants or desires. "Happy in college? Tough, we spent a high pick on you, suck it up and leave now".

Truthfully the problem is you have a draft system that's primarily set up to deal with the CHL rules. It's hard/impossible to adapt the rules to a different league with different regulations of their own. Any conceivable fix would just create new problems. The NCAA isn't going to be okay with guys getting signed and playing 9 pro games before going back. Maybe you could get the NCAA to agree to make it where they could sign their ELC but not have it kick in until later ... but then are you gonna start letting college players re-enter the draft after 2 years like their CHL counterparts? You'd probably have an even harder time signing guys who might be okay with staying in college.

Besides, even the few who do pick their destination, if they're high draft picks they're leaving a lot on the table as compared to those who are signing 2-3 years earlier. They're pushing their ELC years into the age where they could have been raking it in on a 2nd contract instead. If someone's willing to sacrifice millions in career earnings for their freedom, you kind of have to respect it. They're not getting that freedom for free.

The loophole mainly benefits lower picks and lesser prospects who might get buried on the team they were drafted by. Those guys mostly weren't getting signed early anyway, so they're not leaving much if anything on the table.
Sycophants who desperately defended rich celebrities by insulting tonnes of people will always remain wild to me. Don't worry dude, maybe a future NHL player will one day come to this site, read your comment, and be protected/healed from the awful fans.

• Haha
Reactions: Eyeseeing

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Is he a C or a W? I am seeing different reports. I thought he played wing? If he projects as a 2 c. That increases his value

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I mean the solution seems pretty simple. You don’t play if you don’t have a contract and the team owns your rights until 25 like any other league (or whatever those terms are).

Every other situation has players having to wait until 25, why 22 for NCAA?
This isn't remotely true.

If drafted when first eligible

CHL players rights expire after 2 years. Go back into draft
European players from countries with a NHL transfer-agreement expire after 4 years. June 30ish
NCAA players expire after they complete their program. Typically 4 years. August 15

NCAA players have the disadvantage compared to their peers

Last edited:
Reactions: Weltschmerz

Evergreen

Maybe the Flyers, having managed to get Michkov over earlier than anticipated, would be open to trading their #12 pick for McGroarty. That would likely provide them with a more developed, riper prospect that aligns better with their rebuild timeline.

Maybe something like: #12 OA for McGroarty + Wpg's 2nd (from Mtl).

Then perhaps the Flyers could package that 2nd and their #32 pick for a slightly higher pick in round 1. Just a thought. The Flyers might be timid due to the Gauthier situation. Plus McGroarty is a RW, which is the position of greatest depth for the Flyers. A center is a much bigger need. Perhaps trading Konecny for a center or a pick with which they could select a center could provide a solution.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Maybe the Flyers, having managed to get Michkov over earlier than anticipated, would be open to trading their #12 pick for McGroarty. That would likely provide them with a more developed, riper prospect that aligns better with their rebuild timeline.

Maybe something like: #12 OA for McGroarty + Wpg's 2nd (from Mtl).

Then perhaps the Flyers could package that 2nd and their #32 pick for a slightly higher pick in round 1. Just a thought. The Flyers might be timid due to the Gauthier situation.
jets decline

Evergreen

jets decline
You think? I have a feeling that #10-14 range would be exactly what the Jets would be looking to get in return if they were to trade McGroarty for a pick in this year's first round. That would provide them the opportunity to bring in a guy like Helenius or Yakemchuk.

I just don't see them getting more than that for a guy who doesn't want to be there and the sticking point seems to be that he wants a guaranteed spot in the NHL next year. And he's a winger.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
You think? I have a feeling that #10-14 range would be exactly what the Jets would be looking to get in return if they were to trade McGroarty for a pick in this year's first round. That would provide them the opportunity to bring in a guy like Helenius or Yakemchuk.

I just don't see them getting more than that for a guy who doesn't want to be there and the sticking point seems to be that he wants a guaranteed spot in the NHL next year. And he's a winger.
friedman mentioned on 32 thoughts that he's read that people think jets lost leverage since he wants out but said since the news of him be available got out more teams have called and have raised their offers. plus you don't just want mcgroarty you want pick #37 as well

Reactions: kenobiwan

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Why would the Jets need to add a decent 2nd rounder in your original proposal lmao?

Rutger is a former 14th overall pick. Since then he has done nothing but improve his draft stock. Hes already 2 years into his development but for some reason 12 overall in this draft would be to much? People love tricking themselves into thinking the mystery box is always the more valuable piece.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I’m hoping the Sharks can snag McGroarty.
according to Sheng it sounds like Grier is at least kicking tires for him. We'll see where it goes.

I'm guessing he gets packaged with Schmidt to free up cap space for the Jets so they can re-sign Demelo. PGH #14 + SJ 2nd round maybe?

no objections here.

Last edited:

Evergreen

Why would the Jets need to add a decent 2nd rounder in your original proposal lmao?

Rutger is a former 14th overall pick. Since then he has done nothing but improve his draft stock. Hes already 2 years into his development but for some reason 12 overall in this draft would be to much? People love tricking themselves into thinking the mystery box is always the more valuable piece.
McGroarty himself is still a mystery box given he's never played an NHL game. He's not a known quantity. But you're right--maybe adding the 2nd from Wpg is a bit too much.

friedman mentioned on 32 thoughts that he's read that people think jets lost leverage since he wants out but said since the news of him be available got out more teams have called and have raised their offers. plus you don't just want mcgroarty you want pick #37 as well
Yeah maybe the 2nd from Wpg is wishful thinking.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Those GM's who are interested (rightly so), also want to know if he will sign with their team as well. Nobody is blindly trading for him and not knowing if he will sign. That is a major factor. If he is open to 5 teams, his trade value will remain high. If he is open to 1 or 2 teams, that gets more trickier.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Friedman said the interest for this guy is off the charts and the price has gone up to a 1st + NHL player apparently.

Reactions: SCP Guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad