Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Can probably out earn his AHL salary though :laugh:

That's the thing, a lot of full ride athletes not only get free tuition, it's also room and board and meals. So yeah, he probably does come out ahead financially vs. being in the minors. College life is a hell of a lot less intense and stressful than an AHL gig too.

It doesn't have to be about feeling entitled. I'd much rather be at a big time NCAA program than toiling in the AHL on a two way contract, and not everyone's in a huge hurry to join the rat race. 900k+ can change that calculus, but an AHL salary might not.

Reactions: MardyBum

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That's the thing, a lot of full ride athletes not only get free tuition, it's also room and board and meals. So yeah, he probably does come out ahead financially vs. being in the minors. College life is a hell of a lot less intense and stressful than an AHL gig too.

It doesn't have to be about feeling entitled. I'd much rather be at a big time NCAA program than toiling in the AHL on a two way contract, and not everyone's in a huge hurry to join the rat race. 900k+ can change that calculus, but an AHL salary might not.

It's probably pretty close. Take out tuition because he's not paying that either way, AHL or NCAA. If he's getting a monthly stipend of 5k, that's 60k a year, which is still slightly less than the 70k he'd make on an AHL salary.

Like you said, AHL or college, the money really doesn't make a difference. It's the 900k+ for playing in the NHL he's looking for, and getting that now vs. next year is a major difference.

I also don't think it's about being entitled. I think he has a very legitimate claim to an NHL roster spot somewhere, and I'm certain someone will give him one, so why would you not play every card in your hand to make it happen? It's just a smart move by him. Sucks that the Jets fans get bent over here, but from his perspective, if he knows he can 100% get 900k+ this year, instead of 60-70k, everyone on this website would do the same thing.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Basis of the trade seems to be (based on reports):

Ehlers
McGroarty
(possibly Schmidt's contract)

for
Ehlers replacement and/or Top 4 RHD
1st round pick

Ottawa, Carolina seem to fit that (off of the top of my head). I'm sure there are others

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Ehlers
McGroarty

for
1st round pick

Ottawa, Carolina seem to fit that (off of the top of my head). I'm sure there are others
Reichel, Murphy with half retention and pick 18?

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I don't know that Columbus can offer that, either. Wing is insanely crowded.

Ehlers
McGroarty

for
1st round pick

Holtz, Marino, 1st for Ehlers/McG/MTLs 2nd??

Reactions: Muffinalt

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Everyone seems to think WPG wants a 1st…we need proven, or as close as possible, players to slot in now..not a pick to draft and develop 2+ yrs away

Needs/wants are…
2C
Top 4 RHD…not LHD that plays both sides…an RHD

Packaged with Ehlers or separate, with picks added depending on return

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
From Carolina, I was thinking

Necas
1st

for
McGroarty
Ehlers
Take Schmidt's contract

But sounds like Necas is going to Nashville?
I’ll take whatever Necas brings back over anything he brings back where we are kicking in a first round pick.

Ehlers needs a contract and the Canes are the worst team for that. I find McGroarty is being over rated overall around here. I think it’s fair for them to ask for a mid to late first rounder for him, maybe plus a later round pick or lower end prospect. Not adding a Necas personally.

When people try to kill all birds with one trade it’s usually a mess, as this is for the Canes.

• Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo1000

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I’ll take whatever Necas brings back over anything he brings back where we are kicking in a first round pick.

Ehlers needs a contract and the Canes are the worst team for that. I find McGroarty is being over rated overall around here. I think it’s fair for them to ask for a mid to late first rounder for him, maybe plus a later round pick or lower end prospect. Not adding a Necas personally.

When people try to kill all birds with one trade it’s usually a mess, as this is for the Canes.
he's worth more then a mid-late 1st round pick... he's 2 years more developed closer to nhl ready and way closer to a sure fire nhl then a late 1st round pick is

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
he's worth more then a mid-late 1st round pick... he's 2 years more developed closer to nhl ready and way closer to a sure fire nhl then a late 1st round pick is
That’s why I said maybe a later round pick or a lower prospect gets attached.

Not Necas. I’d expect more coming to the Canes if the base was McG for Necas….and not Ehlers. Ehlers is the situation the Canes avoid.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

Not Necas. I’d expect more coming to the Canes if the base was McG for Necas….and not Ehlers. Ehlers is the situation the Canes avoid.
oh, so you added very little value to it...

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Everyone seems to think WPG wants a 1st…we need proven, or as close as possible, players to slot in now..not a pick to draft and develop 2+ yrs away

Needs/wants are…
2C
Top 4 RHD…not LHD that plays both sides…an RHD

Packaged with Ehlers or separate, with picks added depending on return
the 1st is what the media is reporting and seems to fall in line with what Chevy does

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg

I don't blame Canes fans for not wanting Ehlers. Ehlers has been linked to Carolina for a while and is an analytics darling, which is why I thought there might be something there.

the media is specualting we want to get into the 1st round because we don't have one, they don't actually know what we are targeting
We've had 1 year in 13 years where we haven't had a first round pick and we've traded plenty of them away.

Reactions: bleedgreen

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
oh, so you added very little value to it...
McG is not Gauthier, and it’s not very close. He’s got leadership, a strong shot and he seems to find his teammates but he’s not a very good skater. I don’t see a guy who’s going to drive play. He could be a good net front guy. I think it sucks he wants out because I’d love to see him get a shot with your team. I wouldn’t go crazy trying to acquire him for mine. I think the skating is a pretty big issue.

If it’s fair I’d take him, this isn’t the prospect I’d overpay for though. You also know that you lose value now that everyone knows he wants out. You’d be doing very well to get a similar pick to the one you spent on him. If you let him ride it out you get a second rounder.

I’d also question whether or not he’d sign with Carolina, who isn’t any more likely to play him than you guys are. We’ve already had Fox…

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
We've had 1 year in 13 years where we haven't had a first round pick and we've traded plenty of them away.
cool? were also in win now mode so trading a former 1st rounder 2 years into his development doesn't really help us win now at all...

McG is not Gauthier, and it’s not very close. He’s got leadership, a strong shot and he seems to find his teammates but he’s not a very good skater. I don’t see a guy who’s going to drive play. He could be a good net front guy. I think it sucks he wants out because I’d love to see him get a shot with your team. I wouldn’t go crazy trying to acquire him for mine. I think the skating is a pretty big issue.

If it’s fair I’d take him, this isn’t the prospect I’d overpay for though. You also know that you lose value now that everyone knows he wants out. You’d be doing very well to get a similar pick to the one you spent on him. If you let him ride it out you get a second rounder.

I’d also question whether or not he’d sign with Carolina, who isn’t any more likely to play him than you guys are. We’ve already had Fox…
this often gets said as fact, it is not a fact... if all that's being offered is a late 1st round then he can sit out... he wants out, we still control his rights for 2 years, jets are patient as f*** and don't just trade for for the sake of trading him

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Floated this on the Devils board:

10th, Holtz, and Casey for Ehlers and McGroarty

Seems like a bit of an overpayment on NJ's part.

10th overall pick would be a great get for Winnipeg for a player drafted 14th overall that wants out of the organization and can walk as a UFA in 2 years.

Holtz & Casey seems like a bit of an overpay for 1 year of Ehlers. Are there rumors there that he wants out of Winnipeg as well or are they expected to sign him to an extension? Thought I heard he may want out, but am not sure. If he's not willing to sign an extension with the Jets, this becomes an even bigger overpay on NJ's part.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
cool? were also in win now mode so trading a former 1st rounder 2 years into his development doesn't really help us win now at all...

this often gets said as fact, it is not a fact... if all that's being offered is a late 1st round then he can sit out...
And I would agree with making him sit if you don’t like the deals offered. The pressure is actually as much on him, as he wants his contract to start now. You can make him sit for two more years which you now know he doesn’t want. If the deals aren’t very good I’d let him sit there.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Seems like a bit of an overpayment on NJ's part.

10th overall pick would be a great get for Winnipeg for a player drafted 14th overall that wants out of the organization and can walk as a UFA in 2 years.

Holtz & Casey seems like a bit of an overpay for 1 year of Ehlers. Are there rumors there that he wants out of Winnipeg as well or are they expected to sign him to an extension? Thought I heard he may want out, but am not sure. If he's not willing to sign an extension with the Jets, this becomes an even bigger overpay on NJ's part.
I'm thinking the Jets want to move away from Ehlers (no proof, just my thoughts).

He's a harder player to play with (which is why Scheif and Wheeler insisted on playing with Connor) because of his style, he gets injured a fair amount and seems to disappear in the playoffs.

Reactions: HBK27

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I'm not the GM so I'm not sure which prospects they like or not, but thats a bit more of a quantity offer then a quality one so me personally I wouldn't jump at it. My comments aren't insulting to those players, they have value just not the value I personally would want as any of my top 5 type of options.
And that’s fair, and why I asked, we’ve always had positive interactions and I appreciate your opinion.

Reactions: Hunter368

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I'm thinking the Jets want to move away from Ehlers (no proof, just my thoughts).

He's a harder player to play with (which is why Scheif and Wheeler insisted on playing with Connor) because of his style, he gets injured a fair amount and seems to disappear in the playoffs.

He's great at some things, good shooter, zone entries he's elite.....but to your point he's often a east west player a bit too much and ideally would be a bit more north south. With similar line mates he would likely be great, but you have to have those line mates

Reactions: pegcity

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Would something around John Marino and either your 2024 3rd or 2025 2nd pick back from NJ work ? NJ is supposedly interested in signing pesce so that means Marino would be available . He fills a top 4 RD need who is signed for 3 more years at 4.4. Unless of course Jets are one of his 8 NTC teams .
No thanks

Reactions: Huffer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad