Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
What about something like McGroarty to Seattle for Jared Mccann?

Seattle shouldn't dwell too much on their unlikely 2nd round playoff run last year and shouldn't make the mistake of thinking they are a win-now team. McGroarty is a significant boost to their prospect pool and a cost-controlled asset for years to come assuming he's happy to be there.

Mccann is only 28, has 2 years left on his deal, and gives Winnipeg an excellent #2 C option to bolster their roster and stay in "win-now" mode.
No

Curious. He fits a need, locked in cheap for 3 more years, no NTC until the weekend.
Re-up DeMelo and move Samberg up and our T4 looks substantially better than last year.
We can do better than Marino.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
No

We can do better than Marino.
A second pairing defensive defender with good analytics signed for cheap and 3 more years? What more are you expecting?
Barring getting someone like Jiricek out of Columbus, Marino kind of fits the Bill of what we need and fits our timeline.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I love the Ehlers/McGroarity for Hotz/10th/Marino.

Holtz at times looks ready to bust out and the 10th presents a chance to add an impact defenceman. Very very tempting offer.

I like McGroarity for Rossi as well, he fits well for now and in the future.

An upgrade on Monahan as well.
Or sign Monahan and roll with Schief/Rossi/monahan/Lowry.

That is awesome centre depth.

McGroarity to Ottawa for Ridley Greig? Throw in Ehlers and really get something back.

The good news is Chevy is a shrewd trader even when put under the gun like this. In fact, this may be the kick in the pants he needs to force him to take some initiative.

Reactions: Jetsetter

Sleeper Shark

Jun 28, 2018
Antarctica
From Carolina, I was thinking

Necas
1st

for
McGroarty
Ehlers
Take Schmidt's contract

But sounds like Necas is going to Nashville?

Basis of the trade seems to be (based on reports):

Ehlers
McGroarty
(possibly Schmidt's contract)

for
Ehlers replacement and/or Top 4 RHD
1st round pick

Ottawa, Carolina seem to fit that (off of the top of my head). I'm sure there are others

Is it crazy to think that the Sharks might be a fit given these parameters? 14OA + Ferraro for Ehlers, McGroarty, and Schmidt's contract dump?

Value-wise, this skews towards the Sharks, but with Winnipeg up against the cap, I'm not sure how much value taking on Schmidt's contract brings.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Would be an interesting one if both were included together. I’m curious what would work from the Islanders to make it happen. Value might be too high though but it seems like Lou is trying to make a deal for Ehlers on his own.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
What you're missing is that Perfetti has been as soft as Charmin for most of the time he has been with the Jets. He was a little better for part of this year but still needs to do more to become a complete player.
Comes with coaching though doesn't it? What McGroarty also mentioned was development plan. So there's something they clearly told him he needed to do or the plan they had that he felt was not aligned with what they told him before.

NikolaTesla

Aug 2, 2009
The problem is I seriously doubt McGroarty is going to be valuing playing in Canada if he controls this process.
There needs to be a rule to prevent young players to refuse to sign a contract to the team who drafted them. Something like 25% of his salary with his new team goes to the team that drafted him. The draft order and salary cap's main goal is to add parity. Young teenagers shouldnt have that much control. If they want the control, give up a part of your paycheck.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
There needs to be a rule to prevent young players to refuse to sign a contract to the team who drafted them. Something like 25% of his salary with his new team goes to the team that drafted him. The draft order and salary cap's main goal is to add parity. Young teenagers shouldnt have that much control. If they want the control, give up a part of your paycheck.
Should teams have to pay prospects they never sign?

Reactions: Weltschmerz

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

This is really gross, I'm trying to figure out how you typed this out and hit post and didn't ever second guess yourself at all

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think that there is a solution to this somewhere, but that ain't it.

Reactions: BuiumSaveUs

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
I mean the solution seems pretty simple. You don’t play if you don’t have a contract and the team owns your rights until 25 like any other league (or whatever those terms are).

Every other situation has players having to wait until 25, why 22 for NCAA?
This….play for who drafted you, or don’t play at all

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I mean the solution seems pretty simple. You don’t play if you don’t have a contract and the team owns your rights until 25 like any other league (or whatever those terms are).

Every other situation has players having to wait until 25, why 22 for NCAA?
There's obviously a reason why the exception is in there in the first place. I think it's something about being able to sign the pro contract. Maybe that can go away with NIL stuff, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad