Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I think it's overpayment.

I'd try Mercer and Marino for McG and Ehlers - even then I'd have to think about from NJ- do we need more in return? McG is unkown. I'd probably want something else - 2nd or a 3rd maybe

And Jets say no.

Holtz+Casey for a rental winger at 6 mill.

Ah, you don't know what a rental is. Gotcha

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Saying no doesn't change the objective facts regarding Ehlers contract.

I'd look to the toffoli trade if you want a comp.

The reason you call players rentals is because you trade for them for a couple of months ie the playoffs and then let go of them.

A full year for a resignable player is not renting him.

But the real reason you call him a rental is because you dont want to pay the price for a 60+ point winger that would improve your team.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
The reason you call players rentals is because you trade for them for a couple of months ie the playoffs and then let go of them.

A full year for a resignable player is not renting him.

But the real reason you call him a rental is because you dont want to pay the price for a 60+ point winger that would improve your team.
I'm more than happy to wait, get another player in UFA the meantime, and have Winnipeg pay 5 million dollars of his contract in the meantime.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Seeing as he's in Michigan and NIL is an option, he could rather conceivably out-earn his ELC over the next two years, especially if he's deemed to need time on the Moose.

He can afford to wait. The Jets, on the other hand....

There is no NCAA hockey player that I know of making more than whatever his ELC would be in NIL money. And if there was, it would be a player like Macklin Celebrini. McGroarty doesn't have the pull to make that much right now.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Is there supposed to be something wrong with that?
If players hold teams hostage to sign them when they feel they’re ready to go pro and get paid, and if they’re rebuffed demanding a trade? Of course it’s not against the rules but no I’m not a fan. Could lead to other guys losing their draft position because teams don’t want to deal with that. Also all teams are supposed to get the same quality of prospects, if a city is being deemed as a lesser choice and prospects start creating an environment where they can avoid that place is of course a negative. Players who earn the right to choose where they go can do so, and there’s no problem with that. If a guy wants to stay in the NCAA for four years to get that freedom out of the gate that’s fine too. This isn’t that.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
He just needs to ride it out one more full year. Then whatever team he signs with will let him play one NHL game the season after to kickstart his NHL timer. That's how it typically works.

That’s wrong, but no shame in not knowing the rules.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
There is no NCAA hockey player that I know of making more than whatever his ELC would be in NIL money. And if there was, it would be a player like Macklin Celebrini. McGroarty doesn't have the pull to make that much right now.

Can probably out earn his AHL salary though :laugh:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
So where are we at with legitimacy here? Being traded because he won't sign or...?

And...what do the Jets want from the Penguins?

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Chevy is going to demand more then he's worth, never mind the risk, and that's fine, there are plenty of dumb GMs out there. See Blake in LA. I just don't want the habs to be any part of this. Nor any part of an entitled youngster.

Moving on...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sorry if covered already, did Rossi play all last year at center or wing also? Thx

Minny & Wpg are so similar places to live TBH, love my trips to Minny shopping. :)
Almost exclusively at C. That's his position. He's not like Granlund, who was played at Center, but more suited to wing. Rossi is a C... the rare time i've seen him play W he looks a bit lost.

Again, i don't think that Rossi for McGroarty is a good trade for MN. Not terrible, but not good. Rossi's name is only being brought up because there were some whispers about Guerin offering him in possible trades, but Russo has since said that the Wild have decided to keep him, and that talks never went very far.

Last edited:

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
How much of a "+" would have to be added to "Marino+ for McGroarty"? RD seems like priority 1 for the Peg, and Marino has 3 years left on his deal at a very reasonable 4.4.

• Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Floated this on the Devils board:

10th, Holtz, and Casey for Ehlers and McGroarty
Don't think the Devils should float their current top defensive prospect. Just throw in Marino instead of Casey and that deal gets done imo.

Need to make the money work, if they are also targeting Pesce in FA.

• Haha

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Would love him in LA and our prospect base has taken a massive hit lately

If Winnipeg has any intentions of trading Ehlers we have a poor man version of him and Trevor Moore at a good price. Played with Phil Danault last year with good speed and good penalty killed presence.

Not sure if Winnipeg would have interest in a plug and play scorer for a prospect ?

Plus, you guys kinda owe us for shafting us without lube last year. I’m sure your GM feels bad as well. He probably has a speed dial one on his phone as Rob Blake at this point

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad