Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Marek was on NHL Morning Skate today and thinks the Jets trade him this week. He said Winnipeg is a team without a 1st rd pick, and they now have an asset thats become movable to get back into the 1st rd

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have no issues with trading Rutger or Ehlers for a pick, obviously depends on the pick. If I had a choice:

Ehlers would be traded with a new contract/agreed to one for a top 4 RHD, he's been linked or rumored for 2-3 out there I've seen. Failing that a pick gives the Jets some cap help, so it wouldn't be the end of the world but not ideal.

Rutger traded for a similar prospect with 2C potential, failing that the best pick we could get.

I could see both packaged together even in one trade, I wouldn't hate that if it fills needs.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He fits in to what Montreal sort of wants. Not the best skater, but he seems to be a solid net front presence with size and skill. Can have a bit of bite to his game. Given that he only wants out because the Jets didn't sign him, or were going to give him games means he'd sign in Montreal.

I'm sure the Habs miss out on him, though

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Ugggggg this sucks for the Jets..... Hope we get a decent return because Rutger is going to be a very good NHL player.... Type of player you love having on your team and hate to play against.

He is actually exactly what we need in our lineup ugggggg

Reactions: wraithsonwings

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Ugggggg this sucks for the Jets..... Hope we get a decent return because Rutger is going to be a very good NHL player.... Type of player you love having on your team and hate to play against.

He is actually exactly what we need in our lineup ugggggg

Yeah, bummer. As a Flyers fan I can relate. Guessing these two cooked it up together.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
He fits in to what Montreal sort of wants. Not the best skater, but he seems to be a solid net front presence with size and skill. Can have a bit of bite to his game. Given that he only wants out because the Jets didn't sign him, or were going to give him games means he'd sign in Montreal.

I'm sure the Habs miss out on him, though

Skating is one of the easiest things to improve moving from juniors/AHL to the NHL, who ever gets him will love him.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Skating is one of the easiest things to improve moving from juniors/AHL to the NHL, who ever gets him will love him.
I'm trying the old don't sell him to myself because players like that don't go to Montreal.

Habs are usually a bridesmaid and never a bride when it comes to this.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
my original thought was just #18 and Reichel but I continue to see offers that beat the #18 pick which is why I added #50. Lucas Reichel was a Stan Bowman pick and not from current GM Kyle Davidson. He has alot of upside, but didn't show much last season so I could see him as a buy low candidate for Winnipeg
I think he’s a good match for Chicago, a team that he can grow with a bit because watching him as a prospect I think there’s a lot of developing needed there. He can bury pucks skill players set him up for at the NCAA level so another reason he fits.

It’s just that players in this situation tend to not bring back what they’re worth, and I think he’s already been a bit over rated. I think if the 18th pick was on the table that would actually be a strong offer. I’d wait to see what other people offer to beat it before adding, and the add would start smaller than Reichel for me. I’d offer a fourth rounder and work my way up but if the cost was what you offered I’d let someone else overpay.

I’d be really surprised if someone gave a top 15 pick for McGroarty. It would have to be a bigger deal with more going back to the team offering.

Reactions: BHFAN92

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Question for Jets fan. Does he project out to be like a Lawson Crouse mold? Any other player comparisons? Thanks in advance

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I think people are forgetting the main reason why he's doing this...he wants a chance an immediate path to playing time. Its basically going to come down to Chicago or Columbus at this point honestly.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't know if the jets would like to take any developmental steps backwards at this point.

Getting a draft pick in return for this player just delays the player's arrival into the league and that is assuming he is good enough.

The jets have schiefle and hellebyuck signed long term and there's no waiting around to be competitive as they are no longer spring chickens. At the very least I suspect winnipeg wants players that are just as close as Rutger to making the nhl.

Reactions: slurpee addict

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I'm trying the old don't sell him to myself because players like that don't go to Montreal.

Habs are usually a bridesmaid and never a bride when it comes to this.

TBH he's a great fit to any team and what we all want on our teams, Habs IMO absolutely could put together an offer on him, whether they do or if its the best offer or not is TBD. :)

I love the kid, he is captain material and top 6 type of gritty winger who can score.

Beendair Donedat

Don’t be a Jimmy Juice Arse
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
TBH he's a great fit to any team and what we all want on our teams, Habs IMO absolutely could put together an offer on him, whether they do or if its the best offer or not is TBD. :)

I love the kid, he is captain material and top 6 type of gritty winger who can score.
I’d offer the 26th pick, Justin Barron and your choice of Harris OR Struble for McGroarty.

I think that’s decent value, is that close to what you’re wanting?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I don't know if the jets would like to take any developmental steps backwards at this point.

Getting a draft pick in return for this player just delays the player's arrival into the league and that is assuming he is good enough.

The jets have schiefle and hellebyuck signed long term and there's no waiting around to be competitive as they are no longer spring chickens. At the very least I suspect winnipeg wants players that are just as close as Rutger to making the nhl.

With Ehlers I suspect yes 100% they want a roster player back bc of the reasons you stated. Rutger we shall see, he's a very good prospect by all accounts, but those types of prospect still don't land any team a 2C or top 4 RHD in their prime with term so that would never happen, no interest in any older player in late 20's or early 30's for such a good prospect. So Jets likely want a prospect of similar value, developed similar period of time and as close to the NHL ready as Rutger is...........but thats in a perfect world. If that doesn't happen then I'm sure a good 1st rd pick would not be too disappointing to them. IMO

The news about him potentially being traded will be very interesting to many GM's. Love the kid

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I’d offer the 26th pick, Justin Barron and your choice of Harris OR Struble for McGroarty.

I think that’s decent value, is that close to what you’re wanting?

I'm not the GM so I'm not sure which prospects they like or not, but thats a bit more of a quantity offer then a quality one so me personally I wouldn't jump at it. My comments aren't insulting to those players, they have value just not the value I personally would want as any of my top 5 type of options.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
So the Jets and McGroaty talk. Jets tell him he will have to compete for a spot in training camp along with Lambert and Chibrkov. Rutger says pass, Ill go back to college then. Suddenly 2 months later into the off season Friedman comes up with "they aren't talking". WTF are they supposed to talk about?

Reactions: Buffdog

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Please stop selling him to me so my jockey heart break isn't that bad.

🤣

Reactions: SCP Guy

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just thought of a 3 way trade that could benefit all parties involved. If values are off don’t tear me to shreds just using this as a base for a trade and would be open to any tweaks that would make it a more fair trade.

Carolina receives: McGroarty, WIN ‘24 1st
Winnipeg receives: Mailloux
Montreal receives: Necas
that's horrendous for WPG

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
From Pittsburgh: Pickering + ?

What is ? ? (Note to self: do not use ? as for the unknown in future equations.)

gach

Aug 2, 2018
marek is an idiot, we already have ehlers which we could have easily used to get back into the first round, he just sees us not having a 1st round pick and is guessing that's what we will target
I agree with the idiot part

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Honestly think there’s a deal for Rossi I feel like McGroarty is the kind of player Minnesota is looking for I would like this trade Jets get thier 2C solved
Some MN think that BG would rather have a McGroarty type because of his size. Others, like me. would rather have Rossi , because he is a legit NHL middle six C already, and had a really nice(not great, but 20 goals ) rookie year. I think Rossi would be an overpay for McGroarty. I do agree that Rossi would solve some problems for WPG. Just can't get excited about trading a LW for a C.

I would wait till the draft before trading the #13, and see who is there. If it's Yakemchuk, Catton, or Sennecke, i'm keeping the pick. Eiserman or Parekh, I do the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad