Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
You missed their point.
The vets that sucked while he did , got no reduction in playing time, they got time to play through their slump.
Do you understand now?
perfetti was left in the top 6 when we acquired monahan over those others players and got to play with who everyone claims is our best forward in ehlers, we ended up having to go out and spend an asset to try and acquire another top 6 winger because those other players were also not good enough

could perfetti get a longer leesh? sure
is it as big as a deal as some of his cult seems to make it? no, he had a massive slump where he wasn't helping the team, he had his minutes cut as a result

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
It's the same thing with cutter, these kids come up and get drafted and want to sign sooner than normal because they think they're the development is farther ahead than it is and they want to burn the years of their entry level contract as soon as possible so they can cash in and make more millions. It's all about money and it's s***** because the young draftees that do this have proven absolutely nothing. This of course is just my humble opinion

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It's the same thing with cutter, these kids come up and get drafted and want to sign sooner than normal because they think they're the development is farther ahead than it is and they want to burn the years of their entry level contract as soon as possible so they can cash in and make more millions. It's all about money and it's s***** because the young draftees that do this have proven absolutely nothing. This of course is just my humble opinion
That's why it's called professional sports. This is their job.

Lorenzo1000

Sep 8, 2003
Winnipeg
See what you're missing is that there's different rules by coaches that love veterans over youth, where if a veteran player goes into those same slumps, they get a long rope to get back to their game whereas a young talented player doesn't get even half as much or much at all. As a Penguins fan, I know that sort of idiocy when I see it after seeing Sullivan do it for the better part of a decade.

It's ok mate, the first step is realizing there's a problem, there's a support group for everything.
What you're missing is that Perfetti has been as soft as Charmin for most of the time he has been with the Jets. He was a little better for part of this year but still needs to do more to become a complete player.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Get the best return you can at the draft this week. Get him out. Canadian teams need to treat the USNTDP players like they would Russians.

Reactions: Devonator

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I think you're completely missing the point here. The Ducks at the time, were not willing to give Schultz the time of day and guarantee him immediate NHL icetime. Because why would they? They were absolutely stacked with top quality NHL defencemen and other good young players and prospects in the system ahead of him at the time.

So he threw a little fit, went to Edmonton and very nearly killed his career before it even got started in the process. By playing a bunch of minutes he was clearly not ready for. Be careful what you wish for.

There can be different reasons for it, and it's not even strictly about Winnipeg or Canada in general. It's about this subset of players who are willing and able to leverage something that is overall, advantageous to a handful of specific teams, and a disadvantage to others. It's an inherently unbalanced piece of a supposedly "balanced" parity system. It's annoying.

It's something that should be rectified, but won't be...because it benefits several of the heavy hitters on the BoG and would be an absolute mess in having to deal with the NCAA and open all sorts of other cans of worms for the NHLPA wanting other player destination determination concessions. So it just festers. But that doesn't make it any less annoying when it repeatedly happens. And is clearly linked with the RFA problem that has a far more national bent to it.
What? The Ducks tried repeatedly for years to get Schultz to sign, he promised he would, he publicly stated that the Ducks knew that they could trust him, and then he completely ghosted the team. None of that was on the Ducks.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
No one cares that Perfetti got scratched/benched when he was slumping. The issue was that he ended the season with 5 goals and 7 points in 8 games, almost hit 20 goals (was 5th on the Jets), was playing some of the best hockey of his career and got benched for bubble NHL players in the playoffs.

In my opinion it's the sort of decision that can ruin the relationship between a coach and player forever, thankfully Bones is gone. Unfortunately some posters (okay one poster) here has the worst Jets blinders Ive ever seen and will refuse to criticize management because he's scared to admit that the Jets, in fact, are imperfectly run organization

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Wonder if Columbus would give the fourth overall pick up for him. I'd love Tij Iginla on the Jets.
Well, if we got the 4th, we could trade down to 8th or so when he will be picked.
There are some other players I'd take before Iginla.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Ehlers, Montreal's 2nd and McG to Minny for Joel Eriksson Ek and their 2021 1st?

Ehlers (extended), McG, Iafallo and Montreal's 2nd this year for Jiricek and 4th overall?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Wonder if Columbus would give the fourth overall pick up for him. I'd love Tij Iginla on the Jets.

Jets don't have the leverage to demand a first round pick. Why would anyone give a first round pick for a player that's refusing to sign for the jets.

Well, if we got the 4th, we could trade down to 8th or so when he will be picked.
There are some other players I'd take before Iginla.

Why would Seattle trade up?

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I think you're completely missing the point here. The Ducks at the time, were not willing to give Schultz the time of day and guarantee him immediate NHL icetime. Because why would they? They were absolutely stacked with top quality NHL defencemen and other good young players and prospects in the system ahead of him at the time.

So he threw a little fit, went to Edmonton and very nearly killed his career before it even got started in the process. By playing a bunch of minutes he was clearly not ready for. Be careful what you wish for.

There can be different reasons for it, and it's not even strictly about Winnipeg or Canada in general. It's about this subset of players who are willing and able to leverage something that is overall, advantageous to a handful of specific teams, and a disadvantage to others. It's an inherently unbalanced piece of a supposedly "balanced" parity system. It's annoying.

It's something that should be rectified, but won't be...because it benefits several of the heavy hitters on the BoG and would be an absolute mess in having to deal with the NCAA and open all sorts of other cans of worms for the NHLPA wanting other player destination determination concessions. So it just festers. But that doesn't make it any less annoying when it repeatedly happens. And is clearly linked with the RFA problem that has a far more national bent to it.
Like who? Luca sbisa? They really hadn’t developed a robust defensive prospect system yet when Schultz dipped off to Edmonton

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Because everyone else is doing it for the love of the sport, right?
Jets don't have the leverage to demand a first round pick. Why would anyone give a first round pick for a player that's refusing to sign for the jets.
What is your logic here? Several teams wants him, do you think they all offer a 2nd and say "take it or leave it"? :huh::laugh:

Reactions: Guttersniped

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I wonder if he considers turning pro immediately if he's traded this summer? He's already committed to going back to Michigan to try to win a championship, but I have to think if a team has a top 9 NHL spot for him, he might be tempted.
No, apparently he just wants to play in the NHL next year, Jets or else where
Can't really blame him, I think he could probably make a lot of NHL rosters. No reason to leave college just to ride buses in the AHL.

If I were Winnipeg I'd have given him a spot on the team and tried to move on from a few depth vets if needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: aqsw and Eyeseeing

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
As a devils fan, I'd consider offering up the 10th overall pick for Rutger. I think he'd be a good fit with our young group.

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose

Listen to the actual comments a bit more insightful

Jets needs are 2C and top 4 RHD

Teams that have a 2C and a top 4 RHD aren't trading them for a lottery ticket.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I instantly thought of Necas for some reason. Rutger and a 1st for Necas?

Would be a good target for WPG imo. He's a potential star that wants a shot, and apparently wants to try center. As long as he'll sign in the transaction.

Maybe something around McGrorty+Ehler for Necas+ if they are basically soon to move on from Ehlers anyways.

How about,

To Toronto-
Rutger

To Jets-
Minten
Liljegren

As a non-Jets fan this doesn't seem bad. A DET fan offered Kasper when his upside is pretty much a middle 6 FWD like Minten, and Liljegren is a 25 y/o #4 RHD with upside.

Maybe you want a 1st over Minten but you could do worse for a guy in McRoarty who doesn't exactly project as an offensive dynamo.

• Haha
Reactions: Lorenzo1000
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad