Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Kakko wouldn't be the worst target but I feel like the Rangers have to add. Which is crazy to say about a former 2nd overall pick.

McGroarty to NJ for 10th overall 2024. Rutger is a former team mate of Luke Hughes and Seamus Casey. Surely the idea of playing with Jack Hughes is appealing to him.

I'd take this in a heartbeat if I was Winnipeg.

Rutger is ready to play so this could really help NJ too, but as WPG you get another chance at a high pick & I think you'll get a great prospect at 10.

I doubt this is available, if it was Chevy should take this yesterday imo

Canadian teams know the risks of drafting American born players but continue to do so anyways.
And Philadelphia.

Carolina too

I guess we can't forget about Justin Schultz in Anaheim either

But I understand the point you're trying to make. Canada sucks and is undeserving

Canucks core players are mostly Americans (Quinn, Brock Boeser, JT signed long term, Thatcher Demko, exc.)

Montreal got Hutson, Caufield. Toronto got Knies recently, of course Matthews. Ottawa has Tkachuk/Norris/among many prospects. Jets have Connor, Helle just signed long term.

I think the evidence is that these things are more often in isolation

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
No one cares that Perfetti got scratched/benched when he was slumping. The issue was that he ended the season with 5 goals and 7 points in 8 games, almost hit 20 goals (was 5th on the Jets), was playing some of the best hockey of his career and got benched for bubble NHL players in the playoffs.

In my opinion it's the sort of decision that can ruin the relationship between a coach and player forever, thankfully Bones is gone. Unfortunately some posters (okay one poster) here has the worst Jets blinders Ive ever seen and will refuse to criticize management because he's scared to admit that the Jets, in fact, are imperfectly run organization
Do you think would move Perfetti?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Because he saw the way they used Perfetti and their development path and figured yeah screw that?

The nerve of this lad to protect his future vs an Organization that will only give a shit about him if he delivers a promise they've manifested via scouting and projections.

Perfetti is 22 and has already played 140 NHL games. Such a terrible use of a young prospect...

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Perfetti is 22 and has already played 140 NHL games. Such a terrible use of a young prospect...

He was benched repeatedly in the third period throughout the season for no reason other than Bowness didn't trust him because he's young.

He got parked in the pressbox while struggling vets were given longer rope.

When he did get back in the lineup he performed well then got sent right back to the PB.

He started the playoffs in the PB, Bowness played every other option he had ahead of him, then called up a player from the AHL to play ahead of him because of his "pk ability" then didn't give him a single second of PK time.

There's a reason every single Jets reporter (and Arniel) has spoken about Arniel having to talk about Perfetti about his role and future with the team. Why would Rutger look at that and think "Oh yay me too! I like being treated differently because of age and not performance"

If his name was Perfetkov you'd have been raging all year about it :laugh:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He was benched repeatedly in the third period throughout the season for no reason other than Bowness didn't trust him because he's young.

When he did get back in the lineup he performed well then got sent right back to the PB.

He started the playoffs in the PB, Bowness played every other option he had ahead of him, then called up a player from the AHL to play ahead of him because of his "pk ability" then didn't give him a single second of PK time.

There's a reason every single Jets reporter (and Arniel) has spoken about Arniel having to talk about Perfetti about his role and future with the team. Why would Rutger look at that and think "Oh yay me too! I like being treated differently because of age and not performance"

Why do I need some imaginary examples when I have real one? Daniil Gushchin is the same age as Perfetti, has 99 points in 123 AHL games in the last 2 seasons and he's played just 6 NHL games (he's 2+2 in those games). It's what I call a terrible use. And when Gushchin gets back to Russia after next season, NA fans will again whine about Russian factor...

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Why do I need some imaginary examples when I have real one? Daniil Gushchin is the same age as Perfetti, has 99 points in 123 AHL games in the last 2 seasons and he's played just 6 NHL games (he's 2+2 in those games). It's what I call a terrible use. And when Gushchin gets back to Russia after next season, NA fans will again whine about Russian factor...

Why would he go back to Russia? He should be happy to be part of an NHL organization toiling away in the AHL :sarcasm:.

Ask San Jose fans why they won't play him. McGroartys not a Sharks prospect :laugh:

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
What kind of stupid name is Rutger anyway?

If a good trade doesn’t materialize just wait. Take the second round compensation and show kids they have to play 4 years in the NCAA and possibly stunt their development
Only the most epic name in all of hockey.

You know this mofo came outta the womb with a mullet.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg

This is not accurate. Perfetti did not get benched because he was young. He was scratched because he hit a wall and played very poorly for a stretch. The kid is a fantastic young prospect but had never played a full season of NHL and the fatigue showed. He is a very cerebral player and doesnt necessarily need to rely on his speed, but when he began to feel the grind of a full season in the show it really became evident. Missing assignments, slower reaction, etc.

For him this was a part of the learning curve, which is super normal. Now he understands the maintenance needed and the physical and mental rigours of being a professional in the world's most elite hockey league. That shit happens. I would wager a lot of money that this offseason will include addressing mental and physical endurance and resilience.

To say this was about a coach who didn't like young players is baseless.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Agreed. They are too hard and fast with this line setup which seems to be setup for disaster. It forces the T9 into too many minutes, limits youth integration and limits the B6 into single digit minutes every game.
We just keep repeating the same insanity year after year.
And yet there were 13 forwards with double digit goals weird how that happens with what you understand to be the situation.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
1 game too many
Absolutely,
This is not accurate. Perfetti did not get benched because he was young. He was scratched because he hit a wall and played very poorly for a stretch. The kid is a fantastic young prospect but had never played a full season of NHL and the fatigue showed. He is a very cerebral player and doesnt necessarily need to rely on his speed, but when he began to feel the grind of a full season in the show it really became evident. Missing assignments, slower reaction, etc.

For him this was a part of the learning curve, which is super normal. Now he understands the maintenance needed and the physical and mental rigours of being a professional in the world's most elite hockey league. That shit happens. I would wager a lot of money that this offseason will include addressing mental and physical endurance and resilience.

To say this was about a coach who didn't like young players is baseless.
Some of what you say is true, this is part of a learning curve for a young player. However, he was routinely stapled to the bench in close games in the third period even as early as October and November. This was when he was near a point per game and had excellent defensive numbers. He was removed from PP1 despite leading the team in PP points and goals in December. He was playing 13-14 minutes a night when everyone else in the top 9 was above 16 mins a night. Late in the year he started scoring again, and played really good but still couldn't get in the lineup for the playoff games 1-4. Even when he was not producing for that stretch he was still better than a lot of others who were also not producing yet they never missed time.
This was absolutely about a coach who was having his last kick at the can and was going to go with vets no matter what.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
As usual I see both sides in it:

Jets last year have a vet team, vet players, vet defensive coach and hoping to do some damage in the playoffs. So they played who they felt would give them the best chance to do so and win now. Cole P had some great stretch's and some not good ones, as most young players do trying to win a perm job in the NHL. Jets have always liked to overripen their rookies in the minors to get them ready for the NHL. Look at Mark S as an example, back then he was also disappointed & frustrated with the process.

I get Rutger's POV also, he's similar to many young players thinking they're ready to make the jump now, wanting that NHL contract sooner, finishing that ELC sooner, make big money sooner, play in the league he's dreamt of his whole life sooner, thinks a spot should be given to him, he sees other less deep teams who he knows he would played on in the NHL sooner, etc etc.

We'll see how it plays out, either way I expect the Jets to do just fine like they always do (Trouba, Kane, PLD/Laine). Looking forward to the cup to be awarded, the draft and summer moves to improve the team.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
No one cares that Perfetti got scratched/benched when he was slumping. The issue was that he ended the season with 5 goals and 7 points in 8 games, almost hit 20 goals (was 5th on the Jets), was playing some of the best hockey of his career and got benched for bubble NHL players in the playoffs.

In my opinion it's the sort of decision that can ruin the relationship between a coach and player forever, thankfully Bones is gone. Unfortunately some posters (okay one poster) here has the worst Jets blinders Ive ever seen and will refuse to criticize management because he's scared to admit that the Jets, in fact, are imperfectly run organization
This above. If I could like this 5 times I would.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Even in simplistic terms, I don't see why a more prospect would be worth less than the pick in which they were drafted after a successful 2 year development period. We're not talking about a new car coming off the lot and depreciating in value post draft...

Why another team holding a Top 15 pick would want to engage in a player dictating terms and engineering his way out would be another story though.
What does his draft position have to do with his value 2 years after being drafted? That’s two more years of more accurate evaluation. His draft year is pretty much useless information other than to say he has been good for a while now.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Only if he plays 2 more years at UM! Tough to delay your career that long as a 1st round DP.
If he’s got a specific team in mind that’s not too long. It’s the same thing Fox did with NYR.
Right now, the clock is ticking and he’s a depreciating asset for the jets. A solid prospect that won’t play for them.
The longer they wait to deal him, the worse the return will be….
Fox was basically a throw in on the Ferland to Car deal…
Rangers traded for him early to get him playing in their system.
If there’s a specific team Rutger wants to play for, I can see them doing the same.
So far, there’s no news he just wants to play in 1 or 2 places which is good news for Jets.
As time goes on, that will start to leak as well. Usually these guys don’t hold out unless they have 1-2 choice destinations….
Jets would be wise to deal him at the draft/this offseason and make it some other teams problem to try and convince him to sign and play there.

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
Would something along lines of to Blackhawks: Rutger McGroarty to Jets: Chicago 2024 #18 #50 and Lucas Reichel

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
That would seem to be a pretty dramatic overpay for McGroarty.
my original thought was just #18 and Reichel but I continue to see offers that beat the #18 pick which is why I added #50. Lucas Reichel was a Stan Bowman pick and not from current GM Kyle Davidson. He has alot of upside, but didn't show much last season so I could see him as a buy low candidate for Winnipeg

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Marek was on NHL Morning Skate today and thinks the Jets trade him this week. He said Winnipeg is a team without a 1st rd pick, and they now have an asset thats become movable to get back into the 1st rd

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Marek was on NHL Morning Skate today and thinks the Jets trade him this week. He said Winnipeg is a team without a 1st rd pick, and they now have an asset thats become movable to get back into the 1st rd
marek is an idiot, we already have ehlers which we could have easily used to get back into the first round, he just sees us not having a 1st round pick and is guessing that's what we will target

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Has to be to a club that knows the kid will sign with them though. And that club needs to have a later first round pick to give.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
marek is an idiot, we already have ehlers which we could have easily used to get back into the first round, he just sees us not having a 1st round pick and is guessing that's what we will target
Ehlers would maybe get a late 1st at best.

I wouldn't be shocked if McGroarty returned something as high as the 11th from Buffalo if they see him as a NHL player this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad