Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Chevy

Dec 8, 2017
Winnipeg
Either. Just trying to get a sense.

I’d prefer to not trade Danielson/Edvinsson/ASP prospects wise but anyone else is fair game. If one of those guys would absolutely be required then fair, just would be one step forward and one step back for Detroit so seems pointless.
I don't know how he's done since the draft it that was the case I assume for both Ehlers & Mcg something like 15th + Kasper

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Either. Just trying to get a sense.

I’d prefer to not trade Danielson/Edvinsson/ASP prospects wise but anyone else is fair game. If one of those guys would absolutely be required then fair, just would be one step forward and one step back for Detroit so seems pointless.
Of those 3, the 2 who would fit positional needs, Danielson and ASP, aren’t NHL ready so they really don’t fit any of our immediate needs.
WPG should be looking at NHL ready players who can slot into our areas of need now.., 2C and top 4 RHD

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Of those 3, the 2 who would fit positional needs, Danielson and ASP, aren’t NHL ready so they really don’t fit any of our immediate needs.
WPG should be looking at NHL ready players who can slot into our areas of need now.., 2C and top 4 RHD
Walman is a solid top 4 D. Not a RHD though. Walman, Wallinder, 1st? Is that close or not at all?

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Friedman said the interest for this guy is off the charts and the price has gone up to a 1st + NHL player apparently.
If you are referring to 32 thoughts this morning he did not say this. He said they could be looking for a player now and a 1st because they don’t have one, but he said that would be a part of a bigger deal

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
People seriously think he's gonna fetch a HIGH return for a player that is refusing to sign with the jets?
Refusing to sign with the Jets. Says who?

It should be expected that he gets a fair return. I don’t think you understand what’s happening here. Teams aren’t competing with the Jets for McGroarty they are competing with each other.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
People seriously think he's gonna fetch a HIGH return for a player that is refusing to sign with the jets?
What's more is if his whole premise for a trade is in fact the reason, then the next team is in the exact same position.

Any GM that goes over their own coach and guarantees he makes the team is not a GM I'd want.

I fully respect kids choosing to not sign because they don't wanna live in said city, or feel they aren't going to thrive there because by doing so they risk career ending injury in college.

But demanding playing time is a punk move as is accommodating that behaviour.

Am I missing part of the story?
Safe to say he ain't coming to Vancouver, JR and Tochett aint having none of that.
Again I must be missing something, maybe it's subterfuge and he just doesn't wanna go to the Peg.

Kind of sad because Winnipeg grows on you I'd love to return home one day and when you look at the roster, most of the guys that spend a few seasons there decide to stay.

Must be the gondola pizza.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
If Mcgroarty is not willing to do a sign and trade I see no way that he will get a 1st plus.. No way of knowing if he will resign with his new team.
Until I hear "Only willing to sign in XXX", it makes the most sense that RM wants a chance to play in the NHL, and he doesn't think that will happen in WPG this year. If that's the case, there will be a bunch making offers.

If RM is dead set playing in a specific market, his only option is to wait 2 more years and then be a UFA. Note that RM still has to sign a 2 year ELC at that point in time, and WPG gets a 2nd rounder as comp. Or have WPG trade him where he wants to go for more likely for more than the compensatory puck in value.

Reactions: Buffdog

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
What's more is if his whole premise for a trade is in fact the reason, then the next team is in the exact same position.

Any GM that goes over their own coach and guarantees he makes the team is not a GM I'd want.

I fully respect kids choosing to not sign because they don't wanna live in said city, or feel they aren't going to thrive there because by doing so they risk career ending injury in college.

But demanding playing time is a punk move as is accommodating that behaviour.

Am I missing part of the story?
Safe to say he ain't coming to Vancouver, JR and Tochett aint having none of that.
Again I must be missing something, maybe it's subterfuge and he just doesn't wanna go to the Peg.

Kind of sad because Winnipeg grows on you I'd love to return home one day and when you look at the roster, most of the guys that spend a few seasons there decide to stay.

Must be the gondola pizza.
Its definitely the Gondola Pizza.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Have to laugh a bit that adding NHL player to the deal is too much. What exactly is an NHL player? That is a pretty wide range of players.
The Flyers are shopping Farabee, and he's a pretty good NHL player with 4 years at $5m left on his deal.

He had a career high of 50 points this past season, which doesn't sound that high but you have to understand that the Flyers PP is dead last in the NHL and is significantly worse than the 31st best team, so all the forwards have deflated point totals.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I mean they can play, they can do their 4 years and go overseas and all that, but NHL rights are held by drafting teams until 25 - just like if you came from CHL, juniors whatever.
If a CHL player isn't signed 2 years after being drafted they go back in the draft.

jokesondee

Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
The Flyers are shopping Farabee, and he's a pretty good NHL player with 4 years at $5m left on his deal.

He had a career high of 50 points this past season, which doesn't sound that high but you have to understand that the Flyers PP is dead last in the NHL and is significantly worse than the 31st best team, so all the forwards have deflated point totals.
Farabee is a nice player. He could slide into the 2LW spot when Ehlers is moved. Jets could do worse in a return for McGroarty.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
A guy named Rutgers should be playing in NJ 😡
giphy.gif

10th OA for him, 1 for 1.

Get it done Fitz.

• Love
Reactions: QuizGuy66

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
If a CHL player isn't signed 2 years after being drafted they go back in the draft.
Got it. Thanks. Seems like that is a more palatable solution than UFA after 4 years. The same could be done to NCAA - which just makes it so they may have to wait longer for their ELC, but limits the 'I won't sign here' because you are again subject to the randomness of the draft.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not betting against Chevy again for having "no leverage" after this PLD masterclass.
Trouba - Solid return, Trouba sounds like he limited to 1-2 teams max he would go to.

Kane - Solid return, literally the players kicked this guy off the team he was such a clown off the ice (good on the ice though).

PLD - Masterful return, he played at least two teams vs each other to create a bidding war and got a MUCH better return then some insiders thought and especially what many here thought he would. His agent hinted about his desire to go to the Habs before any trade happened, Chevy used that perfectly to his advantage.

Copp - Trade was also a very nice job and solid return

In each of those trades many HFB's posters claimed he would get far less then he did, you would think people would learn. Never bet against Chevy in player for player type of trades.

Last edited:

jokesondee

Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Trouba - Solid return, Trouba sounds like he limited to 1-2 teams max he would go to.

Kane - Solid return, literally the players kicked this guy off the team he was such a clown off the ice (good on the ice though).

PLD - Masterful return, he played at least two teams vs each other to create a bidding war and got a MUCH better return then some insiders thought and especially what many here thought he would. His agent hinted about his desire to go to the Habs before any trade happened, Chevy used that perfectly to his advantage.

In each of those trades many HFB's posters claimed he would get far less then he did, you would think people would learn. Never bet against Chevy in player for player type of trades.
Dont forget the Andrew Copp fleecing.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Is it crazy to think that the Sharks might be a fit given these parameters? 14OA + Ferraro for Ehlers, McGroarty, and Schmidt's contract dump?

Value-wise, this skews towards the Sharks, but with Winnipeg up against the cap, I'm not sure how much value taking on Schmidt's contract brings.
I think I read on twitter about the sharks shopping some assets.

Ferraro is a left shot defenseman though, so I don't think he fits (unless he plays RD). Not sure what else they have. Seems more likely the Jets will be looking for a top 6 forward if they are trading Ehlers.

I could see the sharks trading Ehlers at the deadline for a Taffoli type return (2nd, 3rd).

The Jets want to re-sign Monahan and they'll need to either buy out Schmidt or trade him in order to do it, which is why I think Schmidt be part of the McGroraty deal (unless they make two trades). The first round pick was also mentioned by Friedman. So, 1st for McGroarty & Schmidt's contract or Ehlers, McGroarty & Schmidt's contract for top 6 winger & 1st.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad