Friedman: Jets and Rutger McGroarty are not talking - his name is coming up in trade talks

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The Flyers are shopping Farabee, and he's a pretty good NHL player with 4 years at $5m left on his deal.

He had a career high of 50 points this past season, which doesn't sound that high but you have to understand that the Flyers PP is dead last in the NHL and is significantly worse than the 31st best team, so all the forwards have deflated point totals.
What's the RW depth in Philly look like next year? Konecny, Tippett, Foerster, Brink, Hathaway...I assume Atkinson get moved or bought out. Would Foerster be available?

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
don't think the jets would want to attach negative value and get less of a return, just buy schmidt out, don't see him waiving anyways
Fair enough.

I haven't really been looking at the draft prospects until now.

There appears to be a lot of defenseman in the 10-20 range, so I'm assuming the Jets are wanting to draft a RD there. They seem to be big as well so someone defensive minded on the right ride (as opposed to Samuelsson who is offensive).

Last edited:

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
20 games of a guy who wouldn't sign here for lambert salomonsson milic and barron
Where was it said that Copp wouldn’t re-sign here? As I recall, his agent (Overhardt) dragged out the contract negotiations in his last RFA year until everyone else had re-signed and there was only ~3m of cap left. Copp likely wanted 5m long-term, so no way he was signing for more than a year. A bad season for the Jets made him a prime rental, he was flipped, and that took him right to UFA. I don’t believe for a second that Copp was unwilling to sign long term.

Reactions: hn777

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Where was it said that Copp wouldn’t re-sign here? As I recall, his agent (Overhardt) dragged out the contract negotiations in his last RFA year until everyone else had re-signed and there was only ~3m of cap left. Copp likely wanted 5m long-term, so no way he was signing for more than a year. A bad season for the Jets made him a prime rental, he was flipped, and that took him right to UFA. I don’t believe for a second that Copp was unwilling to sign long term.
he went to arb twice with us, he might have sign if we were willing to pay more then he is worth and looking at his contract right now it's a good thing he didn't

Reactions: jokesondee

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
he went to arb twice with us, he might have sign if we were willing to pay more then he is worth and looking at his contract right now it's a good thing he didn't
Arbitration is what Overhardt does, he’s as militant of an agent as you’ll find in the NHL. Chevy is a grinder and waits for value with his FAs like he does in trades. I have no doubt that Chevy was bidding in UFA, but Detroit gave him an extra million and an extra year.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Rangers offer Kakko and Chytil for McGroarty and Samberg
that is not good

Arbitration is what Overhardt does, he’s as militant of an agent as you’ll find in the NHL. Chevy is a grinder and waits for value with his FAs like he does in trades. I have no doubt that Chevy was bidding in UFA, but Detroit gave him an extra million and an extra year.
ok? either way, he wasn't going to be a winnipeg jet so 20 games for the package we got is a really good haul

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
If Mcgroarty is not willing to do a sign and trade I see no way that he will get a 1st plus.. No way of knowing if he will resign with his new team.
I just don't see how a player who is not signed, never played 1 game in the NHL can fetch multi 1st rounders and top spects.

Reactions: antman12

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I just don't see how a player who is not signed, never played 1 game in the NHL can fetch multi 1st rounders and top spects.

He won’t fetch that, anyone thinking that is wrong, I haven’t seen anyone seriously expecting that (some have offered similar). But by the sounds of it it’s a bit of a bidding war unfolding with significant interest from multi teams, so who knows how it ends up.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
He won’t fetch that, anyone thinking that is wrong, I haven’t seen anyone seriously expecting that (some have offered similar). But by the sounds of it it’s a bit of a bidding war unfolding with significant interest from multi teams, so who knows how it ends up.
I've seen offers here giving Winnipeg a 1st and a 2nd / and 1st and a Top "A" type prospect.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I've seen offers here giving Winnipeg a 1st and a 2nd / and 1st and a Top "A" type prospect.

You said multi 1st, that’s not multi 1st. I’ve seen offers of 4th liner or 2nd rd pick. In the end it’s going to be more then a 2nd and less then multi 1st. Time will tell, but he won’t be cheap to get especially if packaged with a Ehlers extended or agreement to extend the return could be very good.

Prospects rating is very subjective on HFB, I’ve seen many fans call their prospects A level prospects when in reality I call them C level and long shots at the NHL. I seen some prospects offered as “key high value prospects” for Laine & PLD only to be now near bust level prospects teams have no interest in. Also keep in mind this is a weaker draft so it might affect the return is a good way for the Jets. Plus by sounds of it there is significant interest in him by multi teams potentially leading to a bidding war. Demand drives value

Reactions: SCP Guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad