Philadelphia Flyers fire HC Alain Vigneault; Mike Yeo named Interim

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
What an excellent result. Can't put all the blame on Carter Hart. Don't forget he set new records in the AHL. Perhaps this new change will help Carter Fart improve his netminding efforts.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
How many coaches have the Flyers had in the last few years? 5? 6? Like, how long are they going to cycle coaches and build teams the same way to cover poor GMing and asset management?

Vigneault is just half-way into his very lucrative contract and managed to rack up a Jack Adams nomination in his time with the team (he has the record number of nominations in the history of this league). He my not be perfect but he isn't the problem with this team.
He was a symptom not the disease, but a symptom on par with "limbs fall off".

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
As a Blue fan and seeing what Yeo is made of...

morgan-freeman-good-luck.gif
Hopefully interim means a week and not 3 years.

As far as Therrian or AV I would choose a nutless monkey over them...

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Was just talking about this possibility in the GDT of the Lightning-Flyers game with a fan. He said Vignault was on thin ice.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
So when does the Flyers management team get the boot? They can hire and fire the coaching. Staff but at the end of the day, management constructed this mess.

rodney dangerfield

Dec 8, 2015
i live in philly but am far from a flyers fan. when are people gonna realize giroux is part of the problem. “NOOOO hes puts up points he has the most points since-“ bla bla bla. hes been captain for almost a decade and doesnt have one single playoff round win. and its not like the flyers have been devoid of talent. he needs the C stripped or to be traded. and no im not trolling mods so

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Let me tell you guys about my favorite.

In the 2015 ECF, AV decided he would match Derek Stepan up against the Triplets line. It made surface-level sense, since he was a plus defensive center but here's the thing - Derek Stepan can't skate, and the Triplets were quite fast. During that series, when Stepan and Tyler Johnson were both on the ice, Tampa Bay had roughly 75% of the chances as that one line basically won Tampa the series.

Anyway, after two games of that, Jon Cooper decided "f*** scoring goals, winning at MSG was whack actually" and avoided that matchup like the plague. With last change, he decided he wanted the Triples on the ice against Derick Brassard. Brassard absolutely ate the Triplets, to the tune of 80% of the chances going to the Rangers with he and Johnson sharing the ice.

After watching four games of this, AV says "you're right, Jon, scoring goals and winning f***ing sucks ass" and went right back to Stepan.

But I'm not done yet!

With Ryan McDonagh injured headed into game 7, AV decided he needed a replacement, so he dressed Matt Hunwick, but he also dressed McDonagh, and played Hunwick exactly 0:00. So with the season on the line, in a series AV was actively giving away, he invented the 11-6.

Reactions: MayonnaiseOreo

MayonnaiseOreo

I Hate the Flyers
Apr 8, 2012
A Glass of Milk
I feel like too many people are skipping over the fact that Yeo is only going to be the interim coach. We all know he sucks. The organization doesn't think he's the answer. Just let him stay behind the bench until they figure out who they want to hire.

Reactions: GrkFlyersFan

MayonnaiseOreo

I Hate the Flyers
Apr 8, 2012
A Glass of Milk
i live in philly but am far from a flyers fan. when are people gonna realize giroux is part of the problem. “NOOOO hes puts up points he has the most points since-“ bla bla bla. hes been captain for almost a decade and doesnt have one single playoff round win. and its not like the flyers have been devoid of talent. he needs the C stripped or to be traded. and no im not trolling mods so
Giroux has one series win, against the Canadiens and he was essentially the captain in 2012 when they beat the Penguins.

Reactions: GrkFlyersFan

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
It's kind of mean that they chose that picture on NHL.com front page where he appears to be having a bad hair day

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Mike Yeo? Is that the best Philly can do?
With Vancouver canning Travis Green, y’all think he would be a good fit for the Flyers?

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
The coaching carousel in the NHL is so funny. Every fired coach is replaced by another recently fired coach.

Montreal get AV
Flyers get Green
Canucks get Boudreau

I wonder who will hire Julien? NYI :laugh:

Out of all those recent hires, I like Boudreau the best as he does have the higher winning % even if he has not been successful in playoffs. The only other coach that can say they won the cup is Julien who faced an AV coached high powered Canucks team that had many injuries on D and in forwards group.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Mike Yeo? Is that the best Philly can do?
With Vancouver canning Travis Green, y’all think he would be a good fit for the Flyers?
I rather have Yeo who actually has a system that probably fails at a high rate vs. Green who doesn't have a system at all and tells everyone to play hard and dump and chase. He basically neutered Horvat, Boeser and Petersson this season and you can't say all of them are having an off season. Even Garland who was great early on then started to have some dips in his game due to Green. At least OEL and Garland are fresh on this team along with Podkolzin to not have the Green flu affect them so much versus other players.

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I know it sounds shallow, but the pause really screwed the Flyers over. They were on the classic first-year AV streak, only to look ordinary once play resumed.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas

Best face-off guy in the league (top 3, at least). One of the best defensively sound wingers in the league. One of the highest producing wingers in the league. One of the best PP players in the league. Highest scoring player on the team. Almost a PPG for a team that barely scores a goal per game. And this is now a decade of information.

Yes, he's a massive, massive problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad