Philadelphia Flyers fire HC Alain Vigneault; Mike Yeo named Interim

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
He cannot give these guys the talent they don't have or score more goals. By luck I picked up the first period between the Flyers and Tampa the other day. Flyers completely dominated but in the blink of an eyes it was 2-0 Tampa. Biggest difference, skills and a better goalie.

Tampa has a better goalie than anyone, though the Flyers goaltending has been quite solid this year. The defense is absolutely ass though. I mean, Martin Jones just logged an .860 sv% in a game where he allowed 7 goals. Do some math there.

But the scoring? They're an NHL team! Only three guys are pacing for more than 18 goals. You're gonna tell me that Konecny, Couturier, Hayes, and JVR don't have the talent to score 20 goals in the NHL? When all have them have done that consistently throughout their careers?

The team averages less goals per game than the Senators. I'd say they have a better forward group than the f***ing Senators. They don't have a great roster, but they have enough pop to not be a bottom-5 goals-per-game team. That's on Vigneault.

Congrats on catching a single period of a hockey team's season and knowing everything about them, though.

But his obsession with short shifts that neutered any semblance of a forecheck and a D-zone system that basically emphasized flying the zone as soon as the team had a touch of the puck led to some truly unwatchable hockey.

When the wheels fall off an AV team they fall off f***ing HARD.

These are the exact problems you see with the Flyers. Fleeing the zone, especially with mediocre passing defensemen...so much of their game involves guys turning around to field passes from the D-zone at Center Ice. You don't want to be facing your own net when you're supposed to be breaking towards theirs.

Same with the shifts. They finally dig out of their own end and then half the line is off. Except the fourth liners, MacEwan just ignores that shit.

Last edited:

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Looking at the success he has had with the Canucks and Rangers, doesn't seem too bad to me. Fans should be a little humble about what they really know about the game and what coaches can do.

Vignault was essentially a trap style coach until Mike Gillis gave him an ultimatum, forcing him to open up his game. That adaptation had amazing results. Vignault's 4 year stretch from 2011-2014 is pretty much as successful as any coach's 4 year stretch, short of winning a cup (2 President Trophies and 2 runs to the finals on two different teams over 4 seasons). The problem is that:
1.) Vignault has always been rigid in his systems, and has never shown the ability to adapt on the fly; and
2.) Vignault system never improved as other coaches changed their systems, and arguably, it got worse (to my eye, he has veered back towards being a defence focused coach over time).

Vignault was an important piece in those Canucks and Rangers runs, and obviously is a very smart person, but his coaching since then has not had the impact you'd expect out of a top level NHL coach.

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Tampa has a better goalie than anyone, though the Flyers goaltending has been quite solid this year. The defense is absolutely ass though. I mean, Martin Jones just logged an .860 sv% in a game where he allowed 7 goals. Do some math there.

But the scoring? They're an NHL team! Only three guys are pacing for more than 18 goals. You're gonna tell me that Konecny, Couturier, Hayes, and JVR don't have the talent to score 20 goals in the NHL? When all have them have done that consistently throughout their careers?

The team averages less goals per game than the Senators. I'd say they have a better forward group than the f***ing Senators. They don't have a great roster, but they have enough pop to not be a bottom-5 goals-per-game team. That's on Vigneault.

Congrats on catching a single period of a hockey team's season and knowing everything about them, though.

These are the exact problems you see with the Flyers. Fleeing the zone, especially with mediocre passing defensemen...so much of their game involves guys turning around to field passes from the D-zone at Center Ice. You don't want to be facing your own net when you're supposed to be breaking towards theirs.

Same with the shifts. They finally dig out of their own end and then half the line is off. Except the fourth liners, MacEwan just ignores that shit.

In what Universe are Konecny, Couturier, Hayes, and JVR top NHL forwards? Can you imagine them being your top four?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Vignault was essentially a trap style coach until Mike Gillis gave him an ultimatum, forcing him to open up his game. That adaptation had amazing results. Vignault's 4 year stretch from 2011-2014 is pretty much as successful as any coach's 4 year stretch, short of winning a cup (2 President Trophies and 2 runs to the finals on two different teams over 4 seasons). The problem is that:
1.) Vignault has always been rigid in his systems, and has never shown the ability to adapt on the fly; and
2.) Vignault system never improved as other coaches changed their systems, and arguably, it got worse (to my eye, he has veered back towards being a defence focused coach over time).

Vignault was an important piece in those Canucks and Rangers runs, and obviously is a very smart person, but his coaching since then has not had the impact you'd expect out of a top level NHL coach.

I think most coaches always fall into the same traps. Tortorella even admited to it when he was with the Rangers. He had them playing more open hockey at the beginning then they had injuries so they played a more offensive play. He was asked about it by journalists(and for a rare time he was kinda nice lol), he admited that he never corrected the course when the injured players came back and they kept playing defensive.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
In what Universe are Konecny, Couturier, Hayes, and JVR top NHL forwards? Can you imagine them being your top four?

I never said they were. I said they were guys who regularly score 20 goals in an NHL season. They aren't on pace to. There's a Giroux in there somewhere.

Oh and Couturier is good as f*** what are you talking about.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I never said they were. I said they were guys who can score 20 goals in the NHL. They aren't on pace to. There's a Giroux in there somewhere.

Oh and Couturier is good as f*** what are you talking about.

Couturier is good but he's not really a franchise guy. This league is run by franchise players. Flyers have none at any positions.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I know for a fact that Torts is waiting for a call. I'm not just saying that.

But I hope they hire Mike Yeo. And I hope Torts goes to not the Flyers. I like Torts.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

All 4 of those guys, along with Giroux & Atkinson are all proven legit scoring line forwards. From an outsider's perspective, there is plenty of skill up front to be a play-off team.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
All 4 of those guys, along with Giroux & Atkinson are all proven legit scoring line forwards. From an outsider's perspective, there is plenty of skill up front to be a play-off team.

On defense there isn’t at all. Ghost was our only legit PP threat and QB. Ellis is always hurt. Provorov has been badly developed. Forwards can’t score if the D can’t transition or drive play. Our center depth is also really bad.

Brassard is a middle six C and Risto, Yandle, Braun are are 3rd to 5th best D. Our best forwards are all around or significantly over 30.

They’re bad. This Kimota guy is a stereotypically clueless outsider, but barely competing to make the playoffs shouldn’t be the goal after over a decade.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Couturier is good but he's not really a franchise guy. This league is run by franchise players. Flyers have none at any positions.

Strongly disagree. When they won the Cup, who on STL was a franchise player? On the following teams who have recently made the Cup/Conference Finals who was considered a franchise player for MON, LV, or the NYI? This year - which player on CAR is a franchise player?

If Franchise players "run the league", why have teams like EDM and TOR had so little play-off success over the last couple years when they have multiple franchise guys?

Reactions: Cootsfanclub

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
AV’a time in Vancouver had the core right smack down entering/going into their prime years. So he built his system on that foundation of core players, then took it to New York where he got the most out of their players.

With Philadelphia, that’s where the wheels fell off in terms of his system not working. The main piece of his system wasn’t there, no offense to Carter Hart or anything but for AV’s system to thrive he needs his backstop goaltender as the centrepiece.

Hart is having a great season, even Jones is doing well.

The problem is that the GM is just as bad and just as much a retread as AV and the roster was neutered in the off season. According to the wants of both of them.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
On defense there isn’t at all. Ghost was our only legit PP threat and QB. Ellis is always hurt. Provorov has been badly developed. Forwards can’t score if the D can’t transition or drive play. Our center depth is also really bad.

Brassard is a middle six C and Risto, Yandle, Braun are are 3rd to 5th best D. Our best forwards are all around or significantly over 30.

They’re bad. This Kimota guy is a stereotypically clueless outsider, but barely competing to make the playoffs shouldn’t be the goal after over a decade.

I get that the Flyers have issues. But my point is that there is talent there for this team to be competitive. I watched the game last night against the Devils and the Flyers just absolutely rolled over.

The blueline is struggling and the much like the rest of the team it seems like the total result is less than the sum of it's parts. I know Ellis has been hurt, but I from a purely talent perspective I would have thought that Provarov, Ellis, Risto & Sanheim was a solid top 4 who should be able to move the puck decently.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I get that the Flyers have issues. But my point is that there is talent there for this team to be competitive. I watched the game last night against the Devils and the Flyers just absolutely rolled over.

The blueline is struggling and the much like the rest of the team it seems like the total result is less than the sum of it's parts. I know Ellis has been hurt, but I from a purely talent perspective I would have thought that Provarov, Ellis, Risto & Sanheim was a solid top 4 who should be able to move the puck decently.

Then you would have thought wrong, no offense. Provorov has been badly developed, like all of our young players. He also doesn’t have the skill set to QB a PP. Ellis has played four games and also can’t QB a PP, historically. People and ever advanced stat said Risto sucked before he came here. He does. Sanheim has been badly developed, but both hasn’t received special teams opportunities and hasn’t shown proficiency at it.

Of those four you have like no number one D, three top 3 D, and one bottom 3 D. The best of which is perpetually injured and none of which can QB a PP as it stands. Then it’s complete garbage after the top 3 D. Even if Ellis were healthy and all three performed fine, you can’t do well when half your D are garbage.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Decent article I thought at least. What your thoughts on Montgomery? He’s had his share of personal issues but seems like it makes sense? Obviously the roster is still shit.. can he be any worse than Yeo?

Be a good call. I still wonder what exactly led to Montgomery’s departure.

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Strongly disagree. When they won the Cup, who on STL was a franchise player? On the following teams who have recently made the Cup/Conference Finals who was considered a franchise player for MON, LV, or the NYI? This year - which player on CAR is a franchise player?

If Franchise players "run the league", why have teams like EDM and TOR had so little play-off success over the last couple years when they have multiple franchise guys?

For cup purposes, the blues had Pietrangelo as a franchise player, and they had ROR at his best which gets into that category as well.

As for montreal, Vegas, and the isles, they never won cups, so moot point. Vegas were closest out of that bunch to being a contender but they also had chandler Stephenson as their top center, and that just won't get it done. I got alot flack for calling then paper tigers last year.... But they knew what their biggest weakness was, and that's why they went out and took a chance on Eichel this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad