Philadelphia Flyers fire HC Alain Vigneault; Mike Yeo named Interim

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
It took about the time I expected for Vigneault to be fired again. And I guess the Flyers are talking about a rebuild, or at least some. Yes, that's what happens when you have Vigneault as a coach. You question how this core can be SO bad? Wait with the rebuild until you've played a while with a proper coach again.

That's what I call "the Vigneault effect". Being so bad that people start to question the entire organization and its current existence.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
It took about the time I expected for Vigneault to be fired again. And I guess the Flyers are talking about a rebuild, or at least some. Yes, that's what happens when you have Vigneault as a coach. You question how this core can be SO bad? Wait with the rebuild until you've played a while with a proper coach again.

That's what I call "the Vigneault effect". Being so bad that people start to question the entire organization and its current existence.

AV’a time in Vancouver had the core right smack down entering/going into their prime years. So he built his system on that foundation of core players, then took it to New York where he got the most out of their players.

With Philadelphia, that’s where the wheels fell off in terms of his system not working. The main piece of his system wasn’t there, no offense to Carter Hart or anything but for AV’s system to thrive he needs his backstop goaltender as the centrepiece.

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
i live in philly but am far from a flyers fan. when are people gonna realize giroux is part of the problem. “NOOOO hes puts up points he has the most points since-“ bla bla bla. hes been captain for almost a decade and doesnt have one single playoff round win. and its not like the flyers have been devoid of talent. he needs the C stripped or to be traded. and no im not trolling mods so
You should continue to be "far from a Flyers fan"

Reactions: YamCork

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
For everyone saying why Yeo...... There's absolutely no one there that could be the head coach if they fired everyone. Ian Laperierre is their AHL coach and this is his first season with a 3-11 record

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Yeo is the best choice right now, by far. If Tortorella or someone else came in, they could probably turn the team around just enough to miss the playoffs. They need to give up on this season and focus on the future.

The main goal should be getting Chuck Fletcher fired, which is why Yeo is a great choice right now. No chance any Flyers fan wants Fletcher around at the deadline or beyond.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Homers not gone. After his average career as a player ended he became coach. After doing a mediocre job as a coach he was promoted to GM. After doing a terrible job as a GM he was promoted to president. Where he hired Chuck Fletcher, who'd done as equally lousy a job in Minnesota. Buy hey, that's where Homers from so...

And all that less than vanilla work got him into the Flyers Hall of Fame. That's setting the bar for Limbo.

Now he's Senior Advisor to Dave Scott, who's as poor a hockey man as Holmgren.

Ahhh. The FUMU system

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
More than a couple people have referenced Homer. He's gone. Chuck Fletcher is President/GM. His only boss is the CEO who represents Comcast, and he doesn't give a damn.

well not really. Dave Scott told Fletcher to fire the 2 clowns AV and Therrien. I still think Yeo is a placeholder. If things continue to trend downward the Flyers will have a new coach and GM before the end of the season.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
AV’a time in Vancouver had the core right smack down entering/going into their prime years. So he built his system on that foundation of core players, then took it to New York where he got the most out of their players.

With Philadelphia, that’s where the wheels fell off in terms of his system not working. The main piece of his system wasn’t there, no offense to Carter Hart or anything but for AV’s system to thrive he needs his backstop goaltender as the centrepiece.

If your system relies on having Luongo/Lundquist it's probably not a great system

Reactions: nturn06

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
well not really. Dave Scott told Fletcher to fire the 2 clowns AV and Therrien. I still think Yeo is a placeholder. If things continue to trend downward the Flyers will have a new coach and GM before the end of the season.
Why do you think Scott made Fletcher do it? I agree Yeo will almost certainly not get the permanent job.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I think AV is a great coach IMO. I don't think you can do much better with that roster.

What an excellent day! Flyers fired one bad coach and immediately replaced him with one even worse.

Montreal fans have to be shitting themselves right now. No time to waste! Vigneault today, Therrien in 3 years and then on to Julien.

I would gladly take AV back if we were not in a rebuild. He has amassed a ton of experience since he left Montreal in the early 00s, going a few a times to the SCF and so forth. He would be better now than he was back then.

Reactions: Voight

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

The wheels completely fell off in New York. The organization started an open rebuild ffs.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
I think AV is a great coach IMO. I don't think you can do much better with that roster.

I would gladly take AV back if we were not in a rebuild. He has amassed a ton of experience since he left Montreal in the early 00s, going a few a times to the SCF and so forth. He would be better now than he was back then.

One of the reoccurring complaints whenever AV’s been fired, including most recently, has been his distinct inability to change or alter his game plan and be overly rigid in his systems. All evidence points to him, and this is his biggest problem, not having adjusted whatsoever.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I don't think you can win a Cup with that roster, but I think you should be able to score more than two goals per game and avoid losing 9 straight with it. Vigneault sucks.

He cannot give these guys the talent they don't have or score more goals. By luck I picked up the first period between the Flyers and Tampa the other day. Flyers completely dominated but in the blink of an eyes it was 2-0 Tampa. Biggest difference, skills and a better goalie.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
One of the reoccurring complaints whenever AV’s been fired, including most recently, has been his distinct inability to change or alter his game plan and be overly rigid in his systems. All evidence points to him, and this is his biggest problem, not having adjusted whatsoever.

Looking at the success he has had with the Canucks and Rangers, doesn't seem too bad to me. Fans should be a little humble about what they really know about the game and what coaches can do.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Looking at the success he has had with the Canucks and Rangers, doesn't seem too bad to me. Fans should be a little humble about what they really know about the game and what coaches can do.

He was run out of both places without ever having won a Cup. I’d call that mediocre at best.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I don't think you can win a Cup with that roster, but I think you should be able to score more than two goals per game and avoid losing 9 straight with it. Vigneault sucks.
People really overestimate his abilities as a coach. It’s like you need a support group once he’s finally gone.

This isn’t typical “sounds like all coaches” criticism. I genuinely did not despise Torts (outdated system that had worn out its welcome) and Quinn (college coach that was seriously in over his head at the NHL level) as much as I despised AV when all was said and done.

He was a smug, stubborn idiot that arguably unfairly earned his reputation.

I wish the biggest complaint against him was that he overplayed bad players. But his obsession with short shifts that neutered any semblance of a forecheck and a D-zone system that basically emphasized flying the zone as soon as the team had a touch of the puck led to some truly unwatchable hockey.

When the wheels fall off an AV team they fall off f***ing HARD.

Reactions: Rich Nixon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad