Proposal: Petry + for Chychrun

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Is Carey Price retiring? I thought he said last week that it was still his goal to come back and play goalie for the Habs?

If so, that 2023 MTL 1st doesn't hold as much value, right?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
weve been discussing this as a base on Habs twitter and I think we can come to something that would make sense for both teams with this as the base of the deal,,

:habs

Chychrun
Crouse

:coyotes

Petry (retained at 15%)
2023 1st round pick
Ylonen
Norlinder
Tuch

the Habs get Chychrun who is a solid D having a bad year and can prob rebound playing with the youngsters that will be coming up with MTL. They also get Crouse who is sort of a failed 1st rounder but has size

the Yotes get Petry who has been a stud other than this year and he wants to play in the USA. He has shown that other than this year age will not slow him down and Habs will retain some cap. The Yotes also get another 1st round pick and some really nice prospects in Ylonen and norlinder and tuch. Tuch they can prob flip to Buffalo for a late 1st as they will likely pay more for the Buffalo boy so that's basically like adding a late 1st/early 2nd to the trade

As a habs fan, this is isn't good for either team

Any offer for Chychun starts with our unprotected 1st

Also Petry wants to be close to Michigan...basic geography tells me this isn't the case with Arizona.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Petry + for Chychrun would only make sense if the + vastly outweighed Petry in value.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
typical habs homer proposal. ridiculous thing is if you head to their board the majority of them think it's fair or too much :laugh:

The value is there, and it's a good offer for sure...it's just not what Arizona needs.

Petry (15%) retained = flipped for a 1st
1st 2023 (likely a good one)
Norlinder, Ylonen and Tuch are each valued at likely a 2nd and in some cases a 1st depending on the team

So two 1sts and three 2nds...not bad for Chychrun.

No one would complain if Petry wasn't a part of the deal but a 1st was there in his place. That's just because most posters in this thread lack critical thinking and can't do the math themselves so I'm here to do it for them. You're all welcome.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
OP's solid attempt at praising Petry but the man has 3 years left at $6.2M as a 34 years old and his play completely tanked this year... do I believe it will be that bad for the rest of his contract? I'd be surprised, but I don't see him being THAT valuable since he's expensive for a contender, but too old for a rebuilding team. Even for in-between teams, he can't shelter a D prospect properly because HE needs to be sheltered, as amazing as his play is at times, he just plays better with a stay at home D.

And then I wonder how much value those prospects we give away have. Tuch seems like a long way and Norlinder is a coin flip. Ylonen seems like the closest to the NHL at this point, but can he be a top 6 guy?

I'm sure the Yotes can get more from Chychrun alone - maybe one less prospect but better quality. Then Crouse is added to?

That 2023 1st rounder, assuming unprotected, COULD be interesting though, but then too many variables in play to make sure it's a top 3 pick that could be worth the trade.

From Montreal's pov, it depends how they look at the prospect pool, but while Chychrun fills a position of need, that D is still UGLY. Price one year older after not playing another year. And forwards are the same... so do you want to give out a chance at a lottery pick?

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
weve been discussing this as a base on Habs twitter and I think we can come to something that would make sense for both teams with this as the base of the deal,,

Chychrun
Crouse

Petry (retained at 15%)
2023 1st round pick
Ylonen
Norlinder
Tuch

the Habs get Chychrun who is a solid D having a bad year and can prob rebound playing with the youngsters that will be coming up with MTL. They also get Crouse who is sort of a failed 1st rounder but has size

the Yotes get Petry who has been a stud other than this year and he wants to play in the USA. He has shown that other than this year age will not slow him down and Habs will retain some cap. The Yotes also get another 1st round pick and some really nice prospects in Ylonen and norlinder and tuch. Tuch they can prob flip to Buffalo for a late 1st as they will likely pay more for the Buffalo boy so that's basically like adding a late 1st/early 2nd to the trade
Habs are not trading their 1st in 2023, gonna be a top3 pick. We have too many holes, we need a full rebuild.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Chychrun
Crouse

Petry (retained at 15%)
2023 1st round pick
Ylonen
Norlinder
Tuch

If the pick ends up the 1st or 2nd OA this is bad for the Habs.
If the pick ends up to be top5 or less it's terrible the Yotes.

Reactions: Nightrain

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
The value is there, and it's a good offer for sure...it's just not what Arizona needs.

Petry (15%) retained = flipped for a 1st
1st 2023 (likely a good one)
Norlinder, Ylonen and Tuch are each valued at likely a 2nd and in some cases a 1st depending on the team

So two 1sts and three 2nds...not bad for Chychrun.

No one would complain if Petry wasn't a part of the deal but a 1st was there in his place. That's just because most posters in this thread lack critical thinking and can't do the math themselves so I'm here to do it for them. You're all welcome.

Hey @ottawa.

If the Habs can flip Petry at 15% retained for a 1st imo they should probably do it. 1st round draft picks are never a bad thing especially if your roster has holes and you're not expecting to be in cup contention for at least a few years.

You're welcome!

Reactions: Nowotny

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
With the amount of reshuffling in the standings year to year, I wouldn't be surprised if the Habs 2022 pick has more value than their 2023 pick, despite 2023 looking like a good year.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
A twist in the mind set for a trade. Petry and Weber for Chychrun +. Arizona makes this trade for Weber's contract that will cost $6 million cash for the benefit of $32 million in cap space for the next 4 years. Petry could ether play for Arizona or be flipped other assets. The Weber contract could be flipped again should Arizona's situation changes and they can find a dance partner or if need be put back LTIR.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Chychrun
Crouse

Petry (retained at 15%)
2023 1st round pick
Ylonen
Norlinder
Tuch

This is ridiculous. There is no way the Habs trade a 2023 unprotected first. The rest of the package the Habs offer is crap.

this isn’t even a half baked idea. It’s throwing spaghetti against the wall and trying to read what it says.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
A twist in the mind set for a trade. Petry and Weber for Chychrun +. Arizona makes this trade for Weber's contract that will cost $6 million cash for the benefit of $32 million in cap space for the next 4 years. Petry could ether play for Arizona or be flipped other assets. The Weber contract could be flipped again should Arizona's situation changes and they can find a dance partner or if need be put back LTIR.
You didn’t know how the LTIR works. Weber doesn’t give anyone cap space. The only cap space Arizona gets is moving Chychrun off their books, which they turn around as waste on Petrys bad contract. Flip that for what? With an Arizona adding more picks?

Reactions: PainForShane

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Seriously, hat can the Habs offer that hasn’t anywhere close to their coming 2022 and 2023 first round picks?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
With the amount of reshuffling in the standings year to year, I wouldn't be surprised if the Habs 2022 pick has more value than their 2023 pick, despite 2023 looking like a good year.
If I were Arizona, I’d actually trade Chychrun for the Habs 2022 1st unprotected. Why not roll those dice? You’re getting a top 5 pick. Just Don’t pick another Strome or B Hayton.

But let’s be serious, the Habs won’t be trading their first round picks for a while so OPs idea here is preposterous.

Reactions: Canadienna

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
You didn’t know how the LTIR works. Weber doesn’t give anyone cap space. The only cap space Arizona gets is moving Chychrun off their books, which they turn around as waste on Petrys bad contract. Flip that for what? With an Arizona adding more picks?

Can he come off of LTIR and not play then be elligible to go back on should the situation dictate?

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Which direction is Arizona going?

Getting 34 years old Petry and our 2023 2st rounder?

Makes no sense for any team.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
That sounds like salary cap circumvention.

And no, that doesn’t create cap space either.
Cap circumvention would be the reason to do it. Why would it not? Is there a rule to say it cannot be done? Just asking.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

Chychrun
Crouse

Petry (retained at 15%)
2023 1st round pick
Ylonen
Norlinder
Tuch

Take out Crouse, retain 50% on Petry, and make it the unprotected 2022 1st

Reactions: McJedi

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Cap circumvention would be the reason to do it. Why would it not? Is there a rule to say it cannot be done? Just asking.
You said take a guy off and back onto LTIR as it suits you as your situation dictates. That’s cap circumvention. Say good bye to your first round picks.

LTIR is for injured players. Not for moving guys onto and off it to work around the cap.

Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad