Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Season Thread (Part Two)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Rob Wilson cares as do the Petes executive who want to be in the playoffs.
it makes no sense to stop here. just last week rob wilson was in the examiner saying you either go all in or sell completely. there’s no in between. nobody wants to have to sell but this team needs to build for the future. Addy and Cameron are the true building blocks and they have to get this rebuild/retool right

Last edited:
Reactions: cleodog and OMG67

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
The lottery pick has to be more valuable than 2 playoff home games, no?
The flip side is that playoff experience helps with development. Young guys get playoff experience while having less pressure being a lower seed. The Bulldogs made the playoffs while rebuilding after both championships, and it’s turned out well. If you draft and develop well, and manage assets well, you don’t need the top pick.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
The flip side is that playoff experience helps with development. Young guys get playoff experience while having less pressure being a lower seed. The Bulldogs made the playoffs while rebuilding after both championships, and it’s turned out well. If you draft and develop well, and manage assets well, you don’t need the top pick.
Yeah the playoff experience is nice. But I think it's more beneficial if say your team is sitting 6th and maybe you can catch 5th. Win the 4/5. Get to round 2 and really get a taste of what is needed to take that next step. Also agree drafting well is still paramount.

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
it makes no sense to stop here. just last week rob wilson was in the examiner saying you either go all in or sell completely. there’s no in between. nobody wants to have to sell but this team needs to build for the future. Addy and Cameron are the true building blocks and they have ti get this rebuild/retool right

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
I was by no means suggesting that we stop here but there is a balancing point. I totally get it that Owen Beck will be traded and perhaps a few more lesser trades but the Petes want to finish out the season being as competitive as possible.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

If finishing at the bottom of the standings and getting swept in round one of the playoffs had a significant value, the perpetual bottom feeders wouldn’t be perpetual bottom feeders.

Playoff experience matters when you first build a strong foundation that puts up a proper fight. The 8v1 and 7v2 series are simply just warm up fights for the top seeds. Series that will allow them to simply break a sweat. It is not often we see a 1 through 8 that are all good teams like last year in the West.

If the Petes are going to sell, with their roster construction, it is unlikely they make the playoffs this year and next. If they can get a top 4 pick each of the next two years combined with the added ‘06s and ‘07s they will likely add, it will be much better for their future than finishing 7th, losing in 4, and picking 8th.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I was by no means suggesting that we stop here but there is a balancing point. I totally get it that Owen Beck will be traded and perhaps a few more lesser trades but the Petes want to finish out the season being as competitive as possible.
If by lesser trades you mean Dubois and Mayer, than sure.

Reactions: Section5Petes

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
You have to think that Beck, Mayer, and Dubois are all out the door. It really is more a matter of whether they cut deeper with guys like McCoy and Purdeller. I am thinking it will only be those three. I think McCoy stays. Purdeller? 50-50
Based on Mike Oke’s comments in the Peterborough Examiner the Petes are looking to remain competitive this year. I doubt they will trade Jax Dubois for the suggested return of a 3rd and 5th. In my opinion they will likely only trade Owen Beck and Sam Mayer. I expect the return for the two of them to be two players, three, 2nds, one or two 3rds and maybe a 4th. Jonathan Melee, Tommy Purdeller, Donovan McCoy and Cam Gauvreau will likely remain Petes.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Based on Mike Oke’s comments in the Peterborough Examiner the Petes are looking to remain competitive this year. I doubt they will trade Jax Dubois for the suggested return of a 3rd and 5th. In my opinion they will likely only trade Owen Beck and Sam Mayer. I expect the return for the two of them to be two players, three, 2nds, one or two 3rds and maybe a 4th. Jonathan Melee, Tommy Purdeller, Donovan McCoy and Cam Gauvreau will likely remain Petes.
keeping Dubois isn’t gonna tilt the scales anymore in favour of being competitive or not. Once you deal Beck and Mayer you might as well Dubois.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
keeping Dubois isn’t gonna tilt the scales anymore in favour of being competitive or not. Once you deal Beck and Mayer you might as well Dubois.

I agree with this. Dubois has been good this year, no doubt. But, he will be surrounded by nothing. He isn’t the type of player that can do it on his own.

I think they will get more than that for Dubois. Big centre, great faceoff guy, plays a heavier game and can put up some points. He wouldn’t be a key contributor on a Championship calibre team so he’d more than likely be a 3rd line centre BUT he’d be a very pivotal player. I think a 2nd and 5th is more likely. Or a 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Something in that range.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I agree with this. Dubois has been good this year, no doubt. But, he will be surrounded by nothing. He isn’t the type of player that can do it on his own.

I think they will get more than that for Dubois. Big centre, great faceoff guy, plays a heavier game and can put up some points. He wouldn’t be a key contributor on a Championship calibre team so he’d more than likely be a 3rd line centre BUT he’d be a very pivotal player. I think a 2nd and 5th is more likely. Or a 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Something in that range.
He’s the perfect third line centre on any contender. Definitely will get multiple picks and even it’s a 3rd and 5th you take that all day

Reactions: Section5Petes

cleodog

Aug 12, 2022
Dubois has played well above anyone’s expectations. And because of that he deserves a shot at a trade. this is most likely his last year of real competition outside of school. If he goes to a team that makes a run and he continues to produce at the face off dot and on the score sheet he could get himself a chsnce at an echl audition. It’s best for him to be moved. Plus for Petes maybe a younger body and or picks

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
He’s the perfect third line centre on any contender. Definitely will get multiple picks and even it’s a 3rd and 5th you take that all day

I’d be very surprised if it ends up being a 3rd and 5th. That is the sort of return that makes you think a little harder about it though. Probably the bare minimum you’d accept. It woudl come down to how many suitors are out there.

Ottawa needs a centre and has an OA spot open. I’m not sure they’d do the 2nd but they’d probably do something like Ewles plus the 3rd and 5th. They’d get an 18 year old D-Man to help out a bit.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Does anyone know if the Petes box office is open this week ?

No answer for several days .

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
If finishing at the bottom of the standings and getting swept in round one of the playoffs had a significant value, the perpetual bottom feeders wouldn’t be perpetual bottom feeders.

Playoff experience matters when you first build a strong foundation that puts up a proper fight. The 8v1 and 7v2 series are simply just warm up fights for the top seeds. Series that will allow them to simply break a sweat. It is not often we see a 1 through 8 that are all good teams like last year in the West.

If the Petes are going to sell, with their roster construction, it is unlikely they make the playoffs this year and next. If they can get a top 4 pick each of the next two years combined with the added ‘06s and ‘07s they will likely add, it will be much better for their future than finishing 7th, losing in 4, and picking 8th.
Short term pain is worth the long term gain.

Petes fans should have a lot of confidence in Oke. Three contending teams since 2017 shows that he knows what he’s doing. Pretty incredible if he walks away from this deadline with three 2007 first round picks.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Short term pain is worth the long term gain.

Petes fans should have a lot of confidence in Oke. Three contending teams since 2017 shows that he knows what he’s doing. Pretty incredible if he walks away from this deadline with three 2007 first round picks.

I don’t think you will get the ‘07 for Beck. It is looking like Sudbury is very serious but Walton would likely be the main piece. Considering the other options, he would likely be a better player. Martin moving is very doubtful. Outside of Martin, I am not sure there is a better ‘07 than Walton is as an ‘06 on a team looking at Beck.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
I don’t think you will get the ‘07 for Beck. It is looking like Sudbury is very serious but Walton would likely be the main piece. Considering the other options, he would likely be a better player. Martin moving is very doubtful. Outside of Martin, I am not sure there is a better ‘07 than Walton is as an ‘06 on a team looking at Beck.
‘07 Caden Taylor from the Wolves as well but I have heard that the Petes are not that fond of him. Believe Oke is making a final push for Brady Martin and if they can’t pry him out of the Soo, the ‘06 cohort should come down to Matthew Virgilio or Kieron Walton (if Papineau hasn’t flip flopped once again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad