Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Season Thread (Part Two)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Not uncommon for a big winger who wasn't a top 5 or so pick to take some time to adjust. This is obviously about the long term for the Petes. A lot of the pre draft scouting reports on Addy definitely make him sound like Wilson's type of player and he should get a big role in Peterborough for the rest of the season and beyond to help his development.

McCue will really be missed. I think he has some untapped upside. Smith being moved felt inevitable, I don't think there's a lot of scenarios where it's best for HIS development to return to the OHL next year. He's already too strong for 98% of the league. For the Petes getting a guy who can play in the league in Matejicek is a bonus to help shelter and bring the younger D along slower.

All in all hopefully both teams get what they want out of this in the short and long term.
Plus Addy is gonna play top 6 minutes now here where that wasn’t gonna happen this year in Owen sound

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
I don't mean anything personal by this assessment, it's not sudbury bashing. IMO there are stronger teams vying for his services and that will be a consideration for him. Either way I suspect Sudbury will be all-in and will improve before the deadline.
I’m a bit sensitive to Northern teams,I read all boards and there seems to be a consistent dis-respect for our traditional hockey market. I look at things thru a different lens and I would think players would wanna come to a team with 8 NHL drafted or signed players.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Not uncommon for a big winger who wasn't a top 5 or so pick to take some time to adjust. This is obviously about the long term for the Petes. A lot of the pre draft scouting reports on Addy definitely make him sound like Wilson's type of player and he should get a big role in Peterborough for the rest of the season and beyond to help his development.

McCue will really be missed. I think he has some untapped upside. Smith being moved felt inevitable, I don't think there's a lot of scenarios where it's best for HIS development to return to the OHL next year. He's already too strong for 98% of the league. For the Petes getting a guy who can play in the league in Matejicek is a bonus to help shelter and bring the younger D along slower.

All in all hopefully both teams get what they want out of this in the short and long term.
Don't get me wrong I really like Nico and he will be great down the road .
His physical play and skating have improved immensely.
The Attack need immediate results, since they will lose the core next year .
They have been underperforming.

Their other 07s have done very well, allowing them to deal for a couple needed pieces .

Currently not much grit on F. Jackson Stewart.
And missing a physical dman .

So it should benefit both teams .
Maticek is a 1st year import.
Solid , if unspectacular.
He been playing 3rd pairing and PK .
Best wishesfor them both .
Two great kids .

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I’m a bit sensitive to Northern teams,I read all boards and there seems to be a consistent dis-respect for our traditional hockey market. I look at things thru a different lens and I would think players would wanna come to a team with 8 NHL drafted or signed players.

definitely didn't mean it as a slight to sudbury. i'm a fan whenever they aren't playing the hounds!
but if i'm beck i'm asking to go to the top 1 or 2 contenders and imo that isn't sudbury. lucky for you, i'm not owen beck, i'm just some schlump in the soo.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
definitely didn't mean it as a slight to sudbury. i'm a fan whenever they aren't playing the hounds!
but if i'm beck i'm asking to go to the top 1 or 2 contenders and imo that isn't sudbury. lucky for you, i'm not owen beck, i'm just some schlump in the soo.
No offence taken. I say Saggy lands him so he gets a second chance to win a MCup. Time will tell. All the best in SSM

No offence taken. I say Saggy lands him so he gets a second chance to win a MCup. Time will tell. All the best in SSM

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I’ll give Saginaw top contender by default. After that, there really is no clear top contender right now.
On a second line after a top line with two of the top three pts/g players in the league might be the ideal spot for Beck.

Reactions: Wolf on a Wire

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
After this latest trade, I have the Petes at 26 cards used. I don’t have a card assigned to Easton Rye. I am not sure how it works for him as an affiliate player during injury replacement and what his status is so he could be card #27?

So, the Petes can bring in 3 or 4 more bodies and that is it.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well top contenders will be determined after the trade deadline. Remember Guelph a few years back? Nobody saw them buying hard at the deadline and then getting all the way to the memorial Cup. Contender status will be much clearer Jan 11th. Sudbury can still buy big so stay tuned.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
After this latest trade, I have the Petes at 26 cards used. I don’t have a card assigned to Easton Rye. I am not sure how it works for him as an affiliate player during injury replacement and what his status is so he could be card #27?

Make sense at least 1 likely 2 back for Beck and then who knows after that

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Make sense at least 1 likely 2 back for Beck and then who knows after that

I’m more thinking about total players they can also move out and still dress a team. I have them at 19 skaters after this trade. If they move out Beck and Mayer, that brings them down to 17. If they have four cards left, they bring that back up to 21 (Assuming four skaters come back in deals). That would mean on top of Beck and Mayer, they could move three more players maximum.

Other players being discussed:
McCoy
Sztuska
Page
Faulkner
Dubois

If those five are the ones most discussed, then they could potentially trade only three of them. If they were to trade three of them and bring back the maximum players for cards, they would have zero roster flexibility other than bringing up affiliate players short term (under 10 games) If they have injuries/suspensions etc.

I question the logic of the potential Sarnia trade at this point. Moving out two guys to Sarnia when you need actual bodies and don’t have a lot of card flexibility left to replace them doesn’t make much sense at this point. That is assuming beck and Mayer are for sure out the door at some point.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I’m more thinking about total players they can also move out and still dress a team. I have them at 19 skaters after this trade. If they move out Beck and Mayer, that brings them down to 17. If they have four cards left, they bring that back up to 21 (Assuming four skaters come back in deals). That would mean on top of Beck and Mayer, they could move three more players maximum.

McCoy
Sztuska
Page
Faulkner
Dubois

If those five are the ones most discussed, then they could potentially trade only three of them. If they were to trade three of them and bring back the maximum players for cards, they would have zero roster flexibility other than bringing up affiliate players short term (under 10 games) If they have injuries/suspensions etc.

I question the logic of the potential Sarnia trade at this point. Moving out two guys to Sarnia when you need actual bodies and don’t have a lot of card flexibility left to replace them doesn’t make much sense at this point. That is assuming beck and Mayer are for sure out the door at some point.
Likely only getting picks back for guys like Dubois page Stuzska.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

McCoy
Sztuska
Page
Faulkner
Dubois

i dont think page or faulkner have any value, every team has guys like them in the stands.

Reactions: User13452

GoFronts

Sep 2, 2019
As a Kingston fan, I am hoping and praying for Dubois. Nathan Poole got injured in our game yesterday, and he's our go-to for defensive zone faceoffs and he could be out for quite a while. Plus, Maddox Callens has to go, he's just not cutting it for taking up an OA spot. Dubois would be an incredible improvement. Here's hoping.

Reactions: User13452

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022

Not sure if you did, but don't count Nathan Leek as an A card. he is off the team and never played the 10 games

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I’m just saying a contender would maybe take him for depth as a guy you can plug in on the 4th line that has some experience.
owen sound may not be a true contendor and they have guys with 11, 12, and 8 points that are bigger, stronger and mostly younger on their 4th line. i dont see what contender would have room for him. if he was a fighter then maybe. but hes not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad