Peterborough Petes 2023-24 Season Thread (Part Two)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
It should come as no surprise that the Petes acquire a big centreman and a big Dman.
IMO, it's a good move acquiring Matejicek - he fills an empty OA spot, he's undrafted and will be a key part of the Petes defense next season

As mentioned above if McCoy, as part of a Beck deal to SSM, gets Martin then giddy up......otherwise McCoy and Melee are more valuable to the Petes, keeping the foundation solid heading into next season.

Reactions: Section5Petes

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
It should come as no surprise that the Petes acquire a big centreman and a big Dman.
IMO, it's a good move acquiring Matejicek - he fills an empty OA spot, he's undrafted and will be a key part of the Petes defense next season

As mentioned above if McCoy, as part of a Beck deal to SSM, gets Martin then giddy up......otherwise McCoy and Melee are more valuable to the Petes, keeping the foundation solid heading into next season.
matejicek fills the import slot you mean?

addy is a winger i think.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
if the soo are so hot after beck its got to be for martin or nothing as far as im coconcerned
Lol I'd say nothing then.

Smart move by Owen Sound to set the market stupid.

I'd hate to be Peterborough sitting with Beck and no body willing to pay an absurd amount for him. Well Saginaw if they fix their ice.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022

still do not believe Martin will be moved BUT, Oke has to do everything he can to make Martin a Pete. Carson Cameron, Brady Martin and Nico Addy would be a heck of an '07 core...

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
This trade probably means it's less likely SSM gets Beck without including Martin.

It's more clear than ever now that
1) prices are high, and
2) the Petes are going for the 07 born types

If the Petes were looking just a year or two out, they hold McCue but now they are even weaker in the 05 born year and stronger in the 07 year. That plus the likelihood that a Taylor or Young is out there makes it harder to see SSM making the best offer without Martin

OHL Observer

May 20, 2023
Idk if the bus left today for sarnia but be interested to see who doesn’t board it today or tomorrow. Maybe they’ll just leave page in sarnia after the game

Martin be in the deal for sure then
I think that was a rumour. Pretty sure that ship has sailed.

OHL Observer

May 20, 2023
This trade probably means it's less likely SSM gets Beck without including Martin.

1) prices are high, and

If the Petes were looking just a year or two out, they hold McCue but now they are even weaker in the 05 born year and stronger in the 07 year. That plus the likelihood that a Taylor or Young is out there makes it harder to see SSM making the best offer without Martin
The league is about to see what McCue really is.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022

1) prices are high, and

the Smith/McCue deal is a crazy market setter. really did not foresee a scenario in which that collection of players brings back an '07. Interested to see if it trickles down/up the food chain or what this does.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Would the soo move Landon Miller maybe if they petes included Stuszka? Haven’t seen enough of his game but Petes could sure use some stability in the net for the next few years

Reactions: frontsfan67

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Would the soo move Landon Miller maybe if they petes included Stuszka? Haven’t seen enough of his game but Petes could sure use some stability in the net for the next few years
I wouldn't be opposed to a move like this to solidify our goaltending for the season albeit the trade talks over bringing in someone new between the pipes have subsided since Charlie has started to play way better lately

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
matejicek fills the import slot you mean?

addy is a winger i think.
yes and yes........oh well, still a good trade IMO - tough to lose McCue but Oke definitely targeting 07s which will go nicely with the lottery pick they get at this year's priority draft

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
the Smith/McCue deal is a crazy market setter. really did not foresee a scenario in which that collection of players brings back an '07. Interested to see if it trickles down/up the food chain or what this does.

an 07 with 3 pts

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
i'm by no means saying beck is "soo or bust", but I also think the chances are slim that Sudbury is one of his preferred destinations. just my 2 cents. ;)
Hey, who in the hell would wanna play in front of 5000 passionate fans on a Friday night in Suds bury for a first place Team!Im really getting tired of all this Sudbury bashing..

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Hey, who in the hell would wanna play in front of 5000 passionate fans on a Friday night in Suds bury for a first place Team!Im really getting tired of all this Sudbury bashing..

I don't mean anything personal by this assessment, it's not sudbury bashing. IMO there are stronger teams vying for his services and that will be a consideration for him. Either way I suspect Sudbury will be all-in and will improve before the deadline.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
an 07 with 3 pts
Not uncommon for a big winger who wasn't a top 5 or so pick to take some time to adjust. This is obviously about the long term for the Petes. A lot of the pre draft scouting reports on Addy definitely make him sound like Wilson's type of player and he should get a big role in Peterborough for the rest of the season and beyond to help his development.

McCue will really be missed. I think he has some untapped upside. Smith being moved felt inevitable, I don't think there's a lot of scenarios where it's best for HIS development to return to the OHL next year. He's already too strong for 98% of the league. For the Petes getting a guy who can play in the league in Matejicek is a bonus to help shelter and bring the younger D along slower.

All in all hopefully both teams get what they want out of this in the short and long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad