Peterborough Petes 2022-23 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Let’s pretend that this is your lineup. If I’m North Bay, every time I see your first line get on the ice I send out Zito-Arnsby-Ertel.

It will be horrible to play against that line in a series as they will grind you down and only care about stopping your number one line.

Then you look at the other line comparisons and I don’t see Peterborough faring well verse North Bay.

I’d forget about Wright and go after two solid D. One puck mover and one stay at home type guy. You have plenty of offense already but your D doest pass the test.
If the Petes got Wright they would have 2 elite lines but I get what you’re saying. I think this whole thread is split right now on Wright or using the assets on some big d upgrades and I really have no idea what’s gonna happen. It’s the most fun time of the year

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If the Petes got Wright they would have 2 elite lines but I get what you’re saying. I think this whole thread is split right now on Wright or using the assets on some big d upgrades and I really have no idea what’s gonna happen. It’s the most fun time of the year
Petes have an open OA slot. Go after the D-Man you want and pay the freight for that player and then get the OA centre at a cheaper price.

Reactions: Saggy

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Petes have an open OA slot. Go after the D-Man you want and pay the freight for that player and then get the OA centre at a cheaper price.
If you and I were the GM this is exactly what we would be doing. It’s what should and needs to happen

Reactions: Saggy

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If you and I were the GM this is exactly what we would be doing. It’s what should and needs to happen
I’d make an assessment on Spearing and Panwar as well. No disrespect to either but in one of the latest roster projections after adding Shane Wright, I saw Panwar on the 4th line…..

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
I’d make an assessment on Spearing and Panwar as well. No disrespect to either but in one of the latest roster projections after adding Shane Wright, I saw Panwar on the 4th line…..
Spearing 100% should he upgraded. Not only do we need a quality player as an OA but we need a batter captain. And I agree with panwar too. Oke was trying to get lucky with panwar taking a next step and unfortunately point wise it had not worked at all. I wish we had the same quality OA forwards we did last year (Sproule and Carroll) this season.

Oddly enough I actually mentioned upgrading Panwar a few weeks ago in this thread and I was shot down pretty quickly. All OA’s need to be impact especially this season

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Spearing 100% should he upgraded. Not only do we need a quality player as an OA but we need a batter captain. And I agree with panwar too. Oke was trying to get lucky with panwar taking a next step and unfortunately point wise it had not worked at all. I wish we had the same quality OA forwards we did last year (Sproule and Carroll) this season.

Oddly enough I actually mentioned upgrading Panwar a few weeks ago in this thread and I was shot down pretty quickly. All OA’s need to be impact especially this season
Panwar is fine he’s valuable in the role he has killing penalties and winning draws. Spearing on the other hand needs to be upgraded they need to bring in 2 overage defenceman. They won’t trade panwar because there’s limited spots to move him and they won’t get what they paid in return unfortunately

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Panwar is fine he’s valuable in the role he has killing penalties and winning draws. Spearing on the other hand needs to be upgraded they need to bring in 2 overage defenceman. They won’t trade panwar because there’s limited spots to move him and they won’t get what they paid in return unfortunately

What you paid for something in the past is sunk. You cannot let what you paid for something dictate what you do now.

You could trade Van Volsen for picks to use to acquire three OA’s. If you were to acquire Logan Morrison, Jake Murray and Gavin White, you’d be better off than acquiring Wright alone. The cost for those three players is likely to be less than the cost of Wright. You get a bonafide front line centre that was last year’s playoff MVP, another Champ from last year in White and another solid two way D-Man in Murray.

If you prefer a more stay at home type, you could get Keane from Niagara for relatively cheap. Even David Jesus would be a solid acquisition at a relatively low cost. If you went in that direction, you may even have enough left over to add another 19 year old forward like Zhilkin.

A team that is not quite strong enough using all of their remaining trade assets to acquire one player when there are other cheaper options that allow multiple player adds/upgrades seems silly to me.

Reactions: HockeyPops

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What you paid for something in the past is sunk. You cannot let what you paid for something dictate what you do now.

You could trade Van Volsen for picks to use to acquire three OA’s. If you were to acquire Logan Morrison, Jake Murray and Gavin White, you’d be better off than acquiring Wright alone. The cost for those three players is likely to be less than the cost of Wright. You get a bonafide front line centre that was last year’s playoff MVP, another Champ from last year in White and another solid two way D-Man in Murray.

If you prefer a more stay at home type, you could get Keane from Niagara for relatively cheap. Even David Jesus would be a solid acquisition at a relatively low cost. If you went in that direction, you may even have enough left over to add another 19 year old forward like Zhilkin.

A team that is not quite strong enough using all of their remaining trade assets to acquire one player when there are other cheaper options that allow multiple player adds/upgrades seems silly to me.
Panwar is an all situation player. If not an OA, Panwar would make any top 9 in the league better imo.
Panwar & Spearing plus picks for Murray & White cannot happen. I don’t think there is a scenario where Murray is the better option than two of Mayer, Smith, and Zanetti. White is not used to defend by Hamilton; why the Petes? The Petes have forwards for the PP.
Mallioux is likely unavailable, so the realistic options are; Roger, Keane, and Jesus.

Last edited:

User13452

Jan 7, 2022

Can almost guarantee they won’t replace both OA’s.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Panwar is an all situation player. If not an OA, Panwar would make any top 9 in the league better imo.
Panwar & Spearing plus picks for Murray & White cannot happen. I don’t think there is a scenario where Murray is the better option than two of Mayer, Smith, and Zanetti. White is not used to defend by Hamilton; why the Petes? The Petes have forwards for the PP.
Mallioux is likely unavailable, so the realistic options are; Roger, Keane, and Jesus.

It doesn’t matter what the names are. The Petes cannot afford forwards and D-Men without upgrading their OA’s. If the Petes have a bottom six OA and need a top 3 Centre as well as needing two D-Men, both stay at home, then it makes way more sense to look at the OA spots.

If they have an often injured and underperforming OA D-Man that can’t stay int he lineup and when he is in the lineup, he has played to a -8 on the season, then it only makes sense to evaluate whether keeping that player is logical.

Same goes for Panwar. Do you “need” to use an OA spot on a 1/2 point per game checker That also plays to a -2?

If a team like Peterborough has three key gaps in their lineup, why would they not fill those gaps with their OA spots? The OA’s are far cheaper to fill, especially if they bring in two defensive D-Men.

If Peterborough is in fact “all in,” then go all in. Don’t play the loyalty card at the very end after they have freed up all assets. To me it is flat out stupid to leave the OA spots undermanned when OA’s are half the price of 19 year olds.

If you are all in, then act like it.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Roger would be the best D out of those 3. If there is a spot for White, he is an excellent skater and playmaker, but I think you need to pair him with a Mckoy type to have some security when he is out there. Need a little toughness up front , maybe Hates or Stewart if they swing a deal for Roger

Reactions: Section5Petes

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
It doesn’t matter what the names are. The Petes cannot afford forwards and D-Men without upgrading their OA’s. If the Petes have a bottom six OA and need a top 3 Centre as well as needing two D-Men, both stay at home, then it makes way more sense to look at the OA spots.

If they have an often injured and underperforming OA D-Man that can’t stay int he lineup and when he is in the lineup, he has played to a -8 on the season, then it only makes sense to evaluate whether keeping that player is logical.

Same goes for Panwar. Do you “need” to use an OA spot on a 1/2 point per game checker That also plays to a -2?

If a team like Peterborough has three key gaps in their lineup, why would they not fill those gaps with their OA spots? The OA’s are far cheaper to fill, especially if they bring in two defensive D-Men.

If Peterborough is in fact “all in,” then go all in. Don’t play the loyalty card at the very end after they have freed up all assets. To me it is flat out stupid to leave the OA spots undermanned when OA’s are half the price of 19 year olds.

I agree 100 percent. I’m fine with keeping Panwar and getting 2 new OA’s but if they keep spearing around then that’s a flat out mistake

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
I agree 100 percent. I’m fine with keeping Panwar and getting 2 new OA’s but if they keep spearing around then that’s a flat out mistake
They had the opportunity to cut bait with Spearing after last season and decided not to and then named him captain that’s just why I don’t see them moving him. They’ve known this player for how many years now and still have kept him I doubt they get rid of him now

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
And i think that's where some of the concern comes in because what the Petes should do at this deadline is probably going to be much different than what is actually done. I think Oke will see Wright and pounce but as @OMG67, myself and a few others have said, in the aggregate that is probably not the best option.

I don't think that anyone would deny that getting Shane Wright would be amazing for attendance, socials etc but in the current state, I don't think this team is one piece away from being complete.

Look to last year when the Bulldogs acquired Mason McTavish. Getting him was the piece de resistance, the final touch to an elite and complete team. Bulldogs had the impact OA's, an elite forward group, the d group, goaltending and McTavish truly put them over the top.

Ideally, the Petes would have also been in that same spot and we would all be salivating at the potential chance of acquiring Shane Wright, not worrying about the acquisition cost, but unfortunately that does not appear to be the case. When you break this team down, yes the Petes do have a relatively elite top 6 (when on, one of the best in the OHL), but I agree that we are greatly missing out by not having potentially 3 impact OA forwards, or a dman while also not having an elite puck moving offensive d man. Our d core is decent led my Mayer, Smith, Zanetti and McCoy, but whether that is championship level, is a cause for concern.

Even the 2019-2020 season for the Petes felt like a much more complete and deep team than this one. They had the offensive group, but most importantly had a strong d core that checked off all the above boxes. It felt like that year the players put their hearts on the line each and every shift and truly were committed to each other and like I said, had the heart, the grit and tenacity to win.

Now, with all that being said, I do still think that this Petes team is closer to being a true contender than not being one, but it just reaffirms the situation the Petes are currently in, paired with our limited tradable assets. Obviously Oke and staff probably have their own visions and team assessments, but generally speaking I think many people could understand what I and others feel and think what this team should actually be doing at the deadline.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
And i think that's where some of the concern comes in because what the Petes should do at this deadline is probably going to be much different than what is actually done. I think Oke will see Wright and pounce but as @OMG67, myself and a few others have said, in the aggregate that is probably not the best option.

I don't think that anyone would deny that getting Shane Wright would be amazing for attendance, socials etc but in the current state, I don't think this team is one piece away from being complete.

Look to last year when the Bulldogs acquired Mason McTavish. Getting him was the piece de resistance, the final touch to an elite and complete team. Bulldogs had the impact OA's, an elite forward group, the d group, goaltending and McTavish truly put them over the top.

Ideally, the Petes would have also been in that same spot and we would all be salivating at the potential chance of acquiring Shane Wright, not worrying about the acquisition cost, but unfortunately that does not appear to be the case. When you break this team down, yes the Petes do have a relatively elite top 6 (when on, one of the best in the OHL), but I agree that we are greatly missing out by not having potentially 3 impact OA forwards, or a dman while also not having an elite puck moving offensive d man. Our d core is decent led my Mayer, Smith, Zanetti and McCoy, but whether that is championship level, is a cause for concern.

Even the 2019-2020 season for the Petes felt like a much more complete and deep team than this one. They had the offensive group, but most importantly had a strong d core that checked off all the above boxes. It felt like that year the players put their hearts on the line each and every shift and truly were committed to each other and like I said, had the heart, the grit and tenacity to win.

Now, with all that being said, I do still think that this Petes team is closer to being a true contender than not being one, but it just reaffirms the situation the Petes are currently in, paired with our limited tradable assets. Obviously Oke and staff probably have their own visions and team assessments, but generally speaking I think many people could understand what I and others feel and think what this team should actually be doing at the deadline.
Not sure why the Petes elected to go with a forward in the import draft. Should have been a defenceman nothing against Purdeller he’s been fairly good but playing third or 4th line minutes isn’t ideal for a Euro pick on a team that’s trying to contend. Seems to me oke went into the season thinking the defence was good enough because they opted to only add forwards since then

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Not sure why the Petes elected to go with a forward in the import draft. Should have been a defenceman nothing against Purdeller he’s been fairly good but playing third or 4th line minutes isn’t ideal for a Euro pick on a team that’s trying to contend. Seems to me oke went into the season thinking the defence was good enough because they opted to only add forwards since then
This is bang on. Oke must have thought the d core was good enough and most importantly he thought that everyone was going to take major steps forward and that has not been the case. There is no consistency with this d group

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

The Petes do not need two D. The left side is more than fine with Mayer, Smith, and Zanetti. They need a reliable RD for the top pairing. Is there such a thing available?
I’m not getting into the Spearing thing.
’If you‘re all in, then act like’ by getting Wright and the best for the OA RD.
Panwar is an all situation player, moving him plus picks for an OA scorer is just kinda dumb

Reactions: Bra Wavers

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The Petes do not need two D. The left side is more than fine with Mayer, Smith, and Zanetti. They need a reliable RD for the top pairing. Is there such a thing available?
I’m not getting into the Spearing thing.
’If you‘re all in, then act like’ by getting Wright and the best for the OA RD.
Panwar is an all situation player, moving him plus picks for an OA scorer is just kinda dumb

The point is you can move Panwar and replace him with a higher valued OA that is a more difficult or expensive position to fill as a 19 year old. Then go get a cheap 19 year old to replace what Panwar brings. Guys like Panwar as a 19 year old are not expensive. It is more about managing the roster.

IS there a difference between Morrison and Wright? Yes. Is there a difference between Wright+Spearing+Panwar vs Morrison, Keane, Hayes + another 19 year old? That is my point. Int he aggregate you are much better than just one player.

EDIT:
And they could always pull a Guelph type move to keep VanVolsen. Find the one player that seems to be pushed a little too far down the roster and trade him for picks. Then use the picks to get the two extra OA’s. Petes have enough picks to acquire Morrison. Then just need enough to o add Hayes and Keane. Then if they really want to get ballsy, they could move VanVolsen in a bigger move for a 19 year old like Harrison.

I’d say Morrison+Hayes+Keene+Harrison > Wright+Roger…. At least that is my opinion. Some prefer the one bigger name. I just don’t see the Petes in a situation to be able to take advantage of adding one name. Petes would need to move one other player to add th picks they need though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section5Petes

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The point is you can move Panwar and replace him with a higher valued OA that is a more difficult or expensive position to fill as a 19 year old. Then go get a cheap 19 year old to replace what Panwar brings. Guys like Panwar as a 19 year old are not expensive. It is more about managing the roster.

IS there a difference between Morrison and Wright? Yes. Is there a difference between Wright+Spearing+Panwar vs Morrison, Keane, Hayes + another 19 year old? That is my point. Int he aggregate you are much better than just one player.
Spearing is a separate conversation.
Morrison + Keane/Roger + a 19 yr old not as good as Panwar just does not equal Panwar + Roger/Keane + (Wright - VanVolsen).
Long term, the spent assets will catch up with any buying scenario. Right now the decision is between give in or go in.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Spearing is a separate conversation.
Morrison + Keane/Roger + a 19 yr old not as good as Panwar just does not equal Panwar + Roger/Keane + (Wright - VanVolsen).
Long term, the spent assets will catch up. Right now the decision is between give in or go in.
See the edit above….

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I did. More depth helps marginally. Wright-Othman would the best line in the league.
That’s fine provided they can keep the puck out of the net and outscore their opponent on the 2nd and 3rd lines.

Ask the Oilers how it is working for them….

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That’s fine provided they can keep the puck out of the net and outscore their opponent on the 2nd and 3rd lines.

Ask the Oilers how it is working for them….
Again I ask, is there a Mailloux like RD available to maximize their assets? Kyrou was definitely not the answer for the Petes.
Harrison and Morrison are much less able defensively than Panwar and Wright.
Othman-Wright-Stillman
Avon-Robertson-Lockhart
Meelee-Panwar-Dubois-Purdeller
(VanVolsen, Lardis,DeZoete)
That should play well above even

Last edited:

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Again I ask, is there a Mailloux like RD available to maximize their assets? Kyrou was definitely not the answer for the Petes.
Harrison and Morrison are much less able defensively than Panwar and Wright.
Othman-Wright-Stillman
Avon-Robertson-Lockhart
Meelee-Panwar-Dubois-Purdeller
(VanVolsen, Lardis,DeZoete)
That should play well above even
There seems to be a lack of top quality d man trade candidates this year. Especially now with Kryou off the board, London leading the west, depending on the Brandt Clarke situation, there aren’t many top d candidates. Yes there are some decent OA options, but when it comes to available ‘03’s the list is quite thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad