Peterborough Petes 2022-23 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
He wont be. They made him the captain for a reason. This team has character issiues as it is. You cant take out the leader and expect that to not get even worse
Sometimes if there are character/toxic issues within the team and it could be that the Captain and Leadership Group isnt doing their job. Maybe changing/altering the Captain and Leadership Group will fix the problem.

Anything is possible.

Didnt Flint trade their best player and Captain this year? From what I hear, their room is more calm and less toxic.

Hearing Ottawa will get Wright and possibly another 02 dman or high end 03 dman.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
LOL. Yes. That would be epic entertainment for sure! That won’t happen But imagine if it were to? That would be an epic battle. Four teams all in to the max and only one team left standing at the end. I can’t think of a better scenario.

If Barrie were to add the goalie to that mix, I’m not sure but I like their roster by comparison.
Can you imagine pairings of Mintyukov-Matier and DelMastro-Clarke?!
I made trips with a buddy to watch Berehowsky-D.Hatcher; it was comical.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Can you imagine pairings of Mintyukov-Matier and DelMastro-Clarke?!
I made trips with a buddy to watch Berehowsky-D.Hatcher; it was comical.
That would be sick. Four of the top 15-20 Junior aged D-Men in the World concentrated over two teams playing each other in a playoff series.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
They aren’t keeping Wright lol would make zero sense. Would not look good for their memorial cup bid if they held him instead of getting assets for next year
I agree it is not ideal. But, if the return is not there then keeping him would allow the Fronts to possibly win a round and gain experience for their younger players (not to mention put some cash in the owners pockets and allow Fronts fans to see Wright for a third season). I’m sure I’m not alone in preferring to keep him than be blackballed and give him away for nickels on the dollar. Hopefully, it doesn’t come to that and Barrie ends up competing with the Petes on his trade list.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Sometimes if there are character/toxic issues within the team and it could be that the Captain and Leadership Group isnt doing their job. Maybe changing/altering the Captain and Leadership Group will fix the problem.

Anything is possible.

Didnt Flint trade their best player and Captain this year? From what I hear, their room is more calm and less toxic.

Hearing Ottawa will get Wright and possibly another 02 dman or high end 03 dman.
Rumour or a good source tell you Ottawa will get Wright?

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I guess my overall point would be is there a cautious all in? Trade your picks, sure. But tossing away a 6th overall pick in the process may be a leap too far in the ”go for it” option? I’m not criticizing either way. Jsut asking what the Sense is and whether it can be stomached. I mean, if Barrie gets Clarke back and pushes their chips in and Ottawa is active, even with Wright, it may be a two round playoff depending on matchups. It would be heartbreaking to go out in 2 rounds and finish the season with no usable picks and no ‘06 1st rounder.

It has to be something the management team there needs to consider.
Excellent point OMG.
Unfortunately, Oke will have to be reactive as he approaches the trade deadline after the holidays.
He doesn't have the draft picks to be proactive.

IMO, he will have to wait on these things....
- will Wright only OK a trade to the Petes? (Oke may know this answer and have a trade in place with Kingston)
- will Clarke be returned to Barrie?
- Is Missy buying?
- Will Ottawa be a bigger buyer now that North Bay is ahead in the arms race?
- How many pieces will Hamilton be willing to trade?
- Who is buying/selling in the West?
(6pts separate 1st and 6th place, Kitchener sits in 8th at .500 with games in hand and Erie in 9th just had Molnar report)

Oke may have to wait until the last minute to see what's still available at an affordable price as the dust starts to clear on the trade market.

Reactions: Section5Petes

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Did we ever figure out what happened with the Ryan Merkley conditional picks? Seems important now as that could be two more second round picks the Petes have at there disposal leading up to the TDL

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Excellent point OMG.
Unfortunately, Oke will have to be reactive as he approaches the trade deadline after the holidays.
He doesn't have the draft picks to be proactive.

IMO, he will have to wait on these things....
- will Wright only OK a trade to the Petes? (Oke may know this answer and have a trade in place with Kingston)
- will Clarke be returned to Barrie?
- Is Missy buying?
- Will Ottawa be a bigger buyer now that North Bay is ahead in the arms race?
- How many pieces will Hamilton be willing to trade?
- Who is buying/selling in the West?
(6pts separate 1st and 6th place, Kitchener sits in 8th at .500 with games in hand and Erie in 9th just had Molnar report)

Oke may have to wait until the last minute to see what's still available at an affordable price as the dust starts to clear on the trade market.
I think he has a strong measuring stick with North Bay. If he feels they have an uphill battle even with Wright then it makes it a very tough decision regardless of what other teams do.

I’m not handing the League to North Bay by any stretch. This is their second year in a row hampered by injury. A lot of that has to do with how they play so no guarantees they enter the playoffs healthy. But, like you say, Oke will need to wait as long as possible. But he will need to know the day Wright is returned to Kingston.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Did we ever figure out what happened with the Ryan Merkley conditional picks? Seems important now as that could be two more second round picks the Petes have at there disposal leading up to the TDL
The Merkley conditions could be absolutely pivotal for us but like normal, us fans are left in the dark when it comes to picks. I am praying that we have the extra 2nds because that allows us considerable flexibility at the deadline and opens up much more options. Only Oke knows for sure at this point

Reactions: Bra Wavers

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The Merkley conditions could be absolutely pivotal for us but like normal, us fans are left in the dark when it comes to picks. I am praying that we have the extra 2nds because that allows us considerable flexibility at the deadline and opens up much more options. Only Oke knows for sure at this point
peterborough officially has the following

2023 - 3rd
2024 - nothing round 2-4
2025 - 2 2nds and a 3rd, conditional 4th that is hamiltons right now
2026 - 4th

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think Petes have a 2 & 3 owed from Merkley deal with Guelph

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
peterborough officially has the following

2023 - 3rd
2024 - nothing round 2-4
2025 - 2 2nds and a 3rd, conditional 4th that is hamiltons right now
2026 - 4th
1670962334095.png

Well that is also different than what the database has. I think it's safe to say that only Oke and the actual teams know for sure because even what you said and the database is different

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
thats from the league. they have a database you can look at if you work for a team. i use to, retired now but still have access.
Well if that's the case then you should be running the draft pick database and showing threads the pick situations

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Let’s imagine that the Petes trade VanVolsen + all the 2nds, 3rds, 4ths and 5ths they have to add Wright + an OA RHD.

So their lineup would look something like this:

Othmann(L)(03) – Wright (R)(03)– Lockhart (R)(03)
Avon (L)(03) – Robertson (R)(03) – Dezoete (L)(04)
Melee (L)(04) – Dubois (R)(03) – Stillman (R)(03)
Lardis (L)(05) – Panwar (L)(OA) – Purdeller (R)(03)

McCue(L)(05), Page(L)(05), Lewis(R)(05), McCallum(R)(06)

Mayer (L)(03) – McCoy (R)(04)
Smith (L)(04) – Zanetti (L)(03)
Spearing (L)(OA) – Roger (R)(OA)/Jesus(R)(OA)

Leskovar (L) (04) Guo (R)(05)

Simpson (03)
Sztuska (04)

Rye (06)

The forwards would be solid and the lines could be tinkered with depending on chemistry and opposition. The defense are balanced enough but there is no real top shutdown guy and no #1 offensive Dman. It would be defense by committee.

The Petes can’t improve on this lineup without dealing some of their 05s Lardis, Guo OR 04s Melee, Dezoete, McCoy, Smith.

But if they include any of these with along with minimal picks IMO they could only do an upgrade on Spearing because the cost of any 03 that would be worth acquiring would be prohibitive.

I really think that Oke is somewhat hamstrung at this point. Make the splash by picking up Wright and an OA RHD and your done. You hope that your D and goaltending stays healthy and bends without breaking. You sell lots of tickets and make some money for as far as you go in the playoffs. In the East playoffs the 4vs5 matchup in the 1st round and all of the 2nd round matchups should be epic battles.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Is it really worth it to lose so many assests for a player (let’s just say Wright) that will be with us for 30 some games?

We are a medium team -we are going to have medium results this year .
Adding one player (Wright) doesn’t necessarily make us a championship team

I am not 100% sold on any of this because I feel it leaves us really weak for the next 2 years.

Is Wright really the player for us to pin our hopes on ?

Informal polling here :do you guys really believe adding Wright etc is really worth it ?

YES -it’s worth it to trade away to win

NO -it’s not worth to trade away to win

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Is it really worth it to lose so many assests for a player (let’s just say Wright) that will be with us for 30 some games?

I am not 100% sold on any of this because I feel it leaves us really weak for the next 2 years.

Informal polling here :do you guys really believe adding Wright etc is really worth it ?

I’m with you. To me you make a deal for Wright if that is the player you feel puts you over the top. I don’t agree the Petes are a middling team. I do think they are better than their record. But, adding Wright might catch the Petes up but that is a big freight to pay to catch up.

North Bay has put the pressure on.

Reactions: Zebra

User13452

Jan 7, 2022

Either way then next year the Petes are a bottom team there is too much invested in this year. They made a decision this is the year they want to make a run and that started with the Lockhart deal. There doesn’t seem to be enough teams all in this year so I don’t see where they would deal their top guys if they wanted to sell

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Either way then next year the Petes are a bottom team there is too much invested in this year. They made a decision this is the year they want to make a run and that started with the Lockhart deal. There doesn’t seem to be enough teams all in this year so I don’t see where they would deal their top guys if they wanted to sell
They won’t be selling. They will be all in and I would be absolutely shocked if they didn’t buy. By the sounds of it, Wright is just a matter of time and I completely hear and understand the concern. We don’t have a Declan Chisholm type player and we really could use that. I think we could make a deal for Christian Kyrou (the offensive d man) but I think if Wright is in front of Oke, he will do that deal. You could argue that Brennan Othmann was the “super star” deal and we get a Kyrou type at the deadline but it doesn’t feel like that’s gonna be the case. It’s gonna be very interesting what happens…

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Yes, of course.
For ~30 games plus playoffs you get to see; Wright & Othman, the top three picks of the draft, six signed NHL forwards in the top six, Petes demolish the Gens & ‘67s, and a team that gave itself its best chance to win a championship.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
This all depends on what Pete’s team shows up. This team playing to their potential is not terribly far off NB but the Petes we’ve seen isn’t even close.

We aren't going to get a solid chance to see. I’d personally rather take a shot at Morrison and upgrade spearing than ship VV and all our picks for Wright.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
This all depends on what Pete’s team shows up. This team playing to their potential is not terribly far off NB but the Petes we’ve seen isn’t even close.

We aren't going to get a solid chance to see. I’d personally rather take a shot at Morrison and upgrade spearing than ship VV and all our picks for Wright.
Especially relevant during that losing stretch and it happens far too often where this team doesn’t show up and does not play up to its potential for games on end. This team should be better than it’s record suggests which makes it even scarier at the thought of going all in on one player

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Let’s imagine that the Petes trade VanVolsen + all the 2nds, 3rds, 4ths and 5ths they have to add Wright + an OA RHD.

So their lineup would look something like this:

Othmann(L)(03) – Wright (R)(03)– Lockhart (R)(03)
Avon (L)(03) – Robertson (R)(03) – Dezoete (L)(04)
Melee (L)(04) – Dubois (R)(03) – Stillman (R)(03)
Lardis (L)(05) – Panwar (L)(OA) – Purdeller (R)(03)

McCue(L)(05), Page(L)(05), Lewis(R)(05), McCallum(R)(06)

Mayer (L)(03) – McCoy (R)(04)
Smith (L)(04) – Zanetti (L)(03)
Spearing (L)(OA) – Roger (R)(OA)/Jesus(R)(OA)

Leskovar (L) (04) Guo (R)(05)

Simpson (03)
Sztuska (04)

Rye (06)

The forwards would be solid and the lines could be tinkered with depending on chemistry and opposition. The defense are balanced enough but there is no real top shutdown guy and no #1 offensive Dman. It would be defense by committee.

The Petes can’t improve on this lineup without dealing some of their 05s Lardis, Guo OR 04s Melee, Dezoete, McCoy, Smith.

But if they include any of these with along with minimal picks IMO they could only do an upgrade on Spearing because the cost of any 03 that would be worth acquiring would be prohibitive.

I really think that Oke is somewhat hamstrung at this point. Make the splash by picking up Wright and an OA RHD and your done. You hope that your D and goaltending stays healthy and bends without breaking. You sell lots of tickets and make some money for as far as you go in the playoffs. In the East playoffs the 4vs5 matchup in the 1st round and all of the 2nd round matchups should be epic battles.
Let’s pretend that this is your lineup. If I’m North Bay, every time I see your first line get on the ice I send out Zito-Arnsby-Ertel.

It will be horrible to play against that line in a series as they will grind you down and only care about stopping your number one line.

Then you look at the other line comparisons and I don’t see Peterborough faring well verse North Bay.

I’d forget about Wright and go after two solid D. One puck mover and one stay at home type guy. You have plenty of offense already but your D doest pass the test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad