Peterborough Petes 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Robertson certainly seems to play better, probably a little to do with getting extra TOI without Othmann.
Robertson has seemed to be getting less ice all season long (even before any trades). Puzzling.

I had the pleasure of being out of the country most of the last two weeks and missing much of the really bad spell but I think the team just needs to find the right combinations and stick with them.

Robertson and Lockhart have clicked all year together, so just leave that pairing be. They looked great with Avon tonight as a top line (duh) but moving Avon out of the middle puts them in the position of having Dubois, Panwar or Van Volsen as the 2C which isn't ideal when Othmann is back.

Ideally it's probably still
Othmann-Avon-Stillman
Lardis-Robertson-Lockhart

but that top line hasn't gotten the chance to play together for an extended stretch (partially because it hasn't seen great results)

Then a bottom six something like

Purdeller - Panwar - Dezote
Van Volsen - Dubois - McCue/Lefebvre

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
There are two good reasons to trade for Wright if sent back to the OHL imo. Othmann-Wright is irresistible; and, the Petes forward group would be so good that it could make up for not having a Clarke, DelMastro, Mintyukov, Nelson, Matier, or a presence like Guryev.
I mostly just want to see if the Petes can trade for Shane Wright, after landing McTavish, trading for Akil Thomas after he scored the WJC game winning goal, trading for Othmann and having one first round pick in the last decade not report (Cuylle), if people will still say the team has trouble getting players to come here.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Yeah Robertson is finding the net again lately with like 5 or 6 goals in three games. When McTavish came back for those four games last year before being traded, Robertson got real quiet after having a good start to the season. Othmann shows up and Tucker goes quiet again. Maybe Robertson just needs prime icetime? Tough to get when we are so deep up front.

When the Petes started the game slow last night I attributed it to poor mental preparation or even poor fitness levels but in the end I think it is the mental prep that is lacking. The Petes need to start games with more intensity especially at home. Last night was like the most recent home games I've seen where the other team (Sudbury, Flint ,North Bay) came out and outworked the Petes.

The Robertson, Avon, Lockhart line turned it around with those two quick goals at the end of the first. Great game by Panwar and Lardis and overall by the defense a much better game even without Zanetti. Love the hustle by Page leading to a penalty by Hamilton. DeZoete is quiet isn't he? What gives? Melee is quiet too but he plays a typically strong defensive role as a forward.

I would hate to trade Van Volsen because he is so gifted offensively and is our future. If we land a solid D-Man but not too flashy , that might be all we need and no need to trade away our #1 pick to get him.

Reactions: dirty12

Newbie Observer

Feb 18, 2019
Kingston is in the mix for Mem Cup next year. They just got picks for Ac, and are probably looking for picks for Wright or a impact player and picks that can step in to their top two lines. Thats not VV. They need to load up to get a high impact guy next year and build a solid 19yr group to win in all.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
re: Wright

If Wright returns, I find it hard to imagine the Petes being able to outbid Ottawa if they decide to pursue him.

That trade could end up being one of the larger hauls we've seen in years and to be brutally honest, the Petes have some holes in their draft cupboard (as do my hounds).

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
re: Wright

If Wright returns, I find it hard to imagine the Petes being able to outbid Ottawa if they decide to pursue him.

That trade could end up being one of the larger hauls we've seen in years and to be brutally honest, the Petes have some holes in their draft cupboard (as do my hounds).
The ‘67s GM has said no players are moving, so Wright or Mintyukov to the ‘67s is not happening; unless Wright chooses Ottawa, and 4-2nds & 4-3rds & 4-4ths is what Kingston wants for Wright.
Oshawa gave 9 picks including 6-2nds for Tommasino so …

Reactions: DWI Dale

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
The ‘67s GM has said no players are moving, so Wright or Mintyukov to the ‘67s is not happening; unless Wright chooses Ottawa, and 4-2nds & 4-3rds & 4-4ths is what Kingston wants for Wright.
Oshawa gave 9 picks including 6-2nds for Tommasino so …
That was for 2 years of Tomasino. This would be for half a year of Wriht. Not the same at all

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That was for 2 years of Tomasino. This would be for half a year of Wriht. Not the same at all

Oh good this joke again. It wasnt funny the first 100 times but maybe 101!
You’re right in the sense that it was not supposed to be a half regular season rental. But throwing enough picks at a player just might get a deal done

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
You’re right in the sense that it was not supposed to be a half regular season rental. But throwing enough picks at a player just might get a deal done
Ya if it is down to Ottawa and Peterborough, you are right about the sway picks have. Ottawa has 9 2nds in the next 4 drafts so they can easily outbid us and really almost anyone when it comes to sprinkling in extra picks.

Reactions: DWI Dale

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
ottawas draft cupboards are insane. we're hoping to get a few of them here in the soo at the deadline ;)

ottawa GM can say whatever he wants publicly but if he needs to trade a 17 year old to get the player(s) he wants at the deadline that kid is packing his bags. 17 year olds don't win you championships, 19 and 20 year old neckbeards do.

Newbie Observer

Feb 18, 2019
But thats what Kingston will want as well. a 18 yr old this year/19 yr old next year if they are hosting the mem cup. Wont be a 17yr old, will need to be a high end older player that can help them win next year

Reactions: NorthernVoice

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
But thats what Kingston will want as well. a 18 yr old this year/19 yr old next year if they are hosting the mem cup. Wont be a 17yr old, will need to be a high end older player that can help them win next year
I still think if it's the Petes, it's Lardis, though I don't think fans really have the appetite for that, I bet it's the cost.

Peterborough is in an interesting position where a puck moving defenceman may be a bigger "need" but I don't think they could pass up Wright if he's an option, because of the pairing with Othmann, the people it will put in the seats, the statement it will make to anyone who still believes they can't attract top talent.

And maybe Wright's two way game is so good at the OHL level that he eliminatedls that need for a two way defender to a large extent himself. Will be interesting to see. I'm sure the team is all in, even if I personally would like to see the two most recent first round picks be part of the Petes for the long term, that's likely not the reality of their situation.

Reactions: dirty12

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
While I agree, the Fronts could always get the 16 year old now and flip them next year (at 17) for a 19 year old, as all in teams may not have the 18 year to space this year.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
If the Petes don't land Wright, I still think Brett Bressette from the Otters is a great option. Also of course the OA's Morrison and Hayes

Last edited:

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
Robertson has seemed to be getting less ice all season long (even before any trades). Puzzling.

I had the pleasure of being out of the country most of the last two weeks and missing much of the really bad spell but I think the team just needs to find the right combinations and stick with them.

Robertson and Lockhart have clicked all year together, so just leave that pairing be. They looked great with Avon tonight as a top line (duh) but moving Avon out of the middle puts them in the position of having Dubois, Panwar or Van Volsen as the 2C which isn't ideal when Othmann is back.

Ideally it's probably still
Othmann-Avon-Stillman
Lardis-Robertson-Lockhart
Soon...
Othmann-Wright-Stillman
Avon-Robertson-Lockhart

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
The more I look at things the more I believe that Oke can’t not make a deal for Wright if the stars align.
I realize that’s a double-negative above but two negatives make a positive and adding Wright would be positive for a number of reasons.

- $$$, having Wright would mean an increase in ticket sales- say 300 per game at $20 per ticket….so $6k per game and about 17 home games = $100k + concession sales and that’s before playoffs.

- Othmann boost; we have not seen the best of Othmann in a Petes uniform yet but adding Wright would give us the best chance of that happening

- send a message….this was already mentioned by Northern Voice and I totally agree. The buzz around the Petes when they traded for Akil Thomas was substantial. Adding Wright would be off the charts buzzing and great for the Petes brand.

The stars only align if Wright requests a trade to the Petes, because if he doesn’t they won’t be able to outbid other teams.

Ideally they get Roger in the deal and then have enough picks left to trade with Spearing for Jesus….and then we pray :D that the team stays healthy.

If Spearing gets traded make Robertson the captain and the Petes will be off and running.

Btw…..good thing no one on the Petes wears #51!

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
The more I look at things the more I believe that Oke can’t not make a deal for Wright if the stars align.
I realize that’s a double-negative above but two negatives make a positive and adding Wright would be positive for a number of reasons.

- $$$, having Wright would mean an increase in ticket sales- say 300 per game at $20 per ticket….so $6k per game and about 17 home games = $100k + concession sales and that’s before playoffs.

- Othmann boost; we have not seen the best of Othmann in a Petes uniform yet but adding Wright would give us the best chance of that happening

- send a message….this was already mentioned by Northern Voice and I totally agree. The buzz around the Petes when they traded for Akil Thomas was substantial. Adding Wright would be off the charts buzzing and great for the Petes brand.

The stars only align if Wright requests a trade to the Petes, because if he doesn’t they won’t be able to outbid other teams.

Ideally they get Roger in the deal and then have enough picks left to trade with Spearing for Jesus….and then we pray :D that the team stays healthy.

If Spearing gets traded make Robertson the captain and the Petes will be off and running.

Btw…..good thing no one on the Petes wears #51!
Please let this be the trade deadline outcome….

A crazy thought I had the other day was maybe trading a star for a defenseman plus some picks and then that would open up some other avenues for moves?

For example, Stillman to WSR or LDN for a D and picks? Just thinking out loud here…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad