Peterborough Petes 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
In a fantasy world -Wright only agrees to Peterborough and Othmann.

Othmann tells Oke this will be the scenario and Oke offers a pittance for Wright

Wright is mad at Kingston anyway -

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
In a fantasy world -Wright only agrees to Peterborough and Othmann.

Othmann tells Oke this will be the scenario and Oke offers a pittance for Wright

Wright is mad at Kingston anyway -
I have a feeling that this scenario is going to play out and Wright will be a Pete. Just have a strong feeling about it and on January 9th, Petes are going to tweet this out
1671410436965.png

Reactions: Zebra

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
I just do not see the Peterborough fit just because you do not have the immediate draft capital Kingston needs.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It will be Ottawa
It will be up to Wright, really. And the team of his preference to match not necessarily beat the best offer.
If Wright says any team on his list is equally fine, Kingston will choose their preference of Beaudoin, Mews or Marelli, Lardis or VanVolsen, Rehkopf if those are indeed the teams Wright agreed to waive his NTC to.

Reactions: Section5Petes

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
It will be up to Wright, really. And the team of his preference to match not necessarily beat the best offer.
If Wright says any team on his list is equally fine, Kingston will choose their preference of Beaudoin, Mews or Marelli, Lardis or VanVolsen, Rehkopf if those are indeed the teams Wright agreed to waive his NTC to.
It will be up to whoever blinks first. If Kingston says we have a trade in place with Windsor and Shane says no im not going there but kingston says ok wel keep you then, i bet shane would say ok ill go

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It will be up to whoever blinks first. If Kingston says we have a trade in place with Windsor and Shane says no im not going there but kingston says ok wel keep you then, i bet shane would say ok ill go

I don’t think things work like that anymore. I think both sides typically have enough respect for each other and their ongoing reputations to attempt to be flexible even if that flexibility results in some sort of compromize.

It is realistic for Kingston to expect to be given a three team “trade me to list.” It is incumbent on Kingston to work with those three teams to find a suitable trade. Each of those three teams understand the parameters of what a trade needs to be and they also understand that Kingston is not going to budge off the parameters of the trade for a multitude of reasons not related to Shane Wright or that trade in particular. It can have long lasting negative effects ont he franchise going forward in any other trade talks or trade demands.

So, the most likely scenario is that all three teams would be contacted and be apprised of the situation. They will be told what the parameters are. Since each of the teams are contenders, it is unlikely the teams will all simply pass. They will work out the best deal and it won’t be a situation of some sort of bidding war. The teams are far too professional to play one offer on another. If there are multiple teams in the mix, it will be the ”best fit” scenario not the best volume after an auction.

So, if it is Ottawa, Peterborough and Kitchener, each of those teams would have elements that fit the parameters. The valuation of the player involved is taken into account, the year the picks are situated is taken into account as well as any of the other pieces involved. Best fit wins. It is not like Kingston is going to take Ottawa;s offer and go back to Peterborough and say, “well, we have a better offer from Ottawa so if you want him, you will have to add an extra 3rd round pick.“ And then go back to Ottawa and say, “Well, Peterborough upped their offer so if you want him you will have to add a 2nd and a 3rd round pick“ and so on. That’s not how it works. GM’s don’t do it and the ones that do quickly run out of trade partners.

Kingston sets the parameters and each team submits their bid. Kingston may go back to one or more of the teams in an effort to try to tweak it in some slightly different way that suits their needs better like changing the year of a pick etc but nothing much more than that.

So, in this situation, if Peterborough has a better fit because Kingston likes Van Volsen better than MArrelli, for example, then it can make up for the fact the 2nd round picks in the Peterborough deal Are in 2026 instead of 2024…. Or maybe they like th eOttawa deal better because the picks are in 2024 and that is more valuable to them than the difference in the evaluation of the players.

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
Hello Petes fans
Tonight I am reaching out to the broader hockey family and communities not as a London Knights fan, but as a concerned human being. As you know, one of our Knights players died tragically this past Saturday. His friends, family and the community are devastated.
Please consider donating to the GoFundMe page set up by his family to help with the funeral arrangements.
Thank you

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I don’t think things work like that anymore.
I will agree that gms don't seem to be strong arming players to go somewhere off their list these days. But I disagree that gms won't try to maximize the return from the teams bidding for a player. You can be respectful and still do this.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
Did y’all see that segment TSN just did on Othmann and Wright ?

I was not excited for Wright to be a Pete but after seeing that segment -he has to be a Pete !

Maybe that was one of the reasons we got Othmann in the first place because he would
bring Wright to Peterborough !

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I will agree that gms don't seem to be strong arming players to go somewhere off their list these days. But I disagree that gms won't try to maximize the return from the teams bidding for a player. You can be respectful and still do this.

You can but it is something that needs to be navigated stealthily.. As soon as you take an offer from one team to another team, if that GM has any respect for themselves, they immediately rescind their trade and cut trade ties with that GM forever.

This is a relatively simple process. Kingston will get offers, sift through them and evaluate them and at best will tweak the one they feel makes most sense. It is very possible that the deal they want to tweak doesn’t get tweaked and it results in them accepting another deal but that is as far as it goes.

EDIT:
I should also add that if the player specifically highlights one team over the other two and that team presents an acceptable offer and even though that offer may not be the best offer, the team is likely to accept it provided it is close. It is good for the team to show good faith. It pays off in the future.

Last edited:

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
Hello Petes fans
Tonight I am reaching out to the broader hockey family and communities not as a London Knights fan, but as a concerned human being. As you know, one of our Knights players died tragically this past Saturday. His friends, family and the community are devastated.
Please consider donating to the GoFundMe page set up by his family to help with the funeral arrangements.
Thank you

Seems the page has been taken down for some reason.
The Knights are checking into it with the family right now. Please stay tuned.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Did y’all see that segment TSN just did on Othmann and Wright ?

I was not excited for Wright to be a Pete but after seeing that segment -he has to be a Pete !

Maybe that was one of the reasons we got Othmann in the first place because he would
bring Wright to Peterborough !
Maybe Oke traded for the best player in the league at the time so later he could trade for the best player in the league when hes sent back?

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I hope Wright can also play defense cause that's what we really need lol. Maybe Lockhart doesn't mind moving back to the blue line again.
That Lockhart totally won me over playing defence like that -he is one of my fave players now

Then in another game -we had pulled our goalie and Lockhart made it back ahead of the rush and stood in net to play goalie too

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What do you think he goes for?

2nd + 3rd?
3-4 picks as he is likely among the better OA D next season
What would the colts ‘03 be for next season; Punnett, Frasca, West, …?

Last edited:
Reactions: Devin

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Punnet for McCoy. Who sauys no?

Petes get the better player now for 2 years but Barrie gets the extra year with McCoy being a year younger
Punnet is not nearly enough of an upgrade for the Petes to consider having top 6 D all shoot left imo.
Barrie has been better since moving out Haight. and have gone 8 games without a L. I think and hope colts add

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad