Peter Chiarelli Appreciation Thread

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yes, but what you're leaving out of this point is that the positions left needing to be signed are all bottom 6 and bottom pairing players. Add to that fact that Nuge is likely to be traded, that adds some cap space as well.

I'm not saying we're in good shape with the cap, but its not as bad as you're making it out to be either.

So you are saying ALL PLAYERS WILL TAKE THE SAME CONTRACT?

If maroon gets 25+ goals again. He will take 2.1 again? Or will he aim for 4 to 5. Will Benning and nurse take under 1mill again or will both want between 1.5 to 2 a year. Caggs will want 2 a year. If slepyshev plays to 6? What will be his ask.

This is before we spend a cent on some one outside the organisation.

Then we have Letestu who I think we will let walk and new guy Strome. He is in 2.5.. if he is our third line center he take the same money.

We have no back up signed beyond this season.

If you think we have the room to add a guy at 4mill for multiple years. You are wrong..that decision can not be made till we sign mcjesus, Leon, beening, maroon, caggs, and slepyshev.... Some who we maybe dirt cheap sooner then later..

If the cap goes up 2 mill and everyone takes the same contract.. we have 3.6 mill available to spend. In my opinion... Maroon, Benning and nurses new contracts will eat up most of that 3.6

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
I am getting worried that we end up trading Draisaitl for spare parts. Just like the Seguin trade. 😣

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Not a good offseason for Chia thus far. He already overpaid for a # 4 at best D. Strome isn't on the same level of 14. Will either put the team in cap hell with a LD contract or get bent in a trade.

Last edited:

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
Not a good offseason for Chia thus far. He already overpaid for a # 4 at best D. Strome isn't on the same Velez of 14. Will either put the team in cap hell with a LD contract or get bent in a trade.

Not a whole lot he could've done. People throw out this criticism, almost as if Chia could've waved a magic wand and signed 3-4 free agents and convinced every single player to take short cheap deals. Eberle trade was necessary and a solid move given the context of the team in my opinion. Russell signing was a bit much, but we needed a defensemen and I trust Chia didn't have any better offers elsewhere. People are so quick with the criticism (when the off season is mid way). Sure our rivals got better but what could Chia have realistically done?

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Not a whole lot he could've done. People throw out this criticism, almost as if Chia could've waved a magic wand and signed 3-4 free agents and convinced every single player to take short cheap deals. Eberle trade was necessary and a solid move given the context of the team in my opinion. Russell signing was a bit much, but we needed a defensemen and I trust Chia didn't have any better offers elsewhere. People are so quick with the criticism (when the off season is mid way). Sure our rivals got better but what could Chia have realistically done?

Thank you. People are just impatient. That impatience lead to some of the bad deals past. Ference, Pouliot, Nikitin, Khabibulin.

I'm much more comfortable on July 1st with a GM who does too little instead of too much.

OilCountry93

Jul 2, 2014
Thank you. People are just impatient. That impatience lead to some of the bad deals past. Ference, Pouliot, Nikitin, Khabibulin.

I'm much more comfortable on July 1st with a GM who does too little instead of too much.

Totally agree. Look at Brad Treliving, he was way too early to jump on things. Smith deal, probably could've found a better de if he didn't blow his ### so early. Same with Hamonic, play a little more hardball and it would've probably cost less. If Stone would've seen his market value on July 1st, no way would he be making as much as he signed for. He just completely showed his hand way to early.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Not a good offseason for Chia thus far. He already overpaid for a # 4 at best D. Strome isn't on the same level of 14. Will either put the team in cap hell with a LD contract or get bent in a trade.

RNH will be moved down the road I'm sure as well and that'll help. As for Strome, well, numbers wise he isn't as good as Ebele, that's a given, but it's all about opportunity. We will see how he does. Maybe this chance will allow him to break out. Time will tell. The dude is certainly amped to get the season started already.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Eberle couldn't stay. You can't have it both ways and complain about cap management and then want to keep a $6 million dollar player who had 16 goals going into game 81 of the year and then was the worst forward on the team in the playoffs.

Say what you want about Russell, but the Oilers were a much better team with him than without.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Chia lost both Davidson and Reinhart in a stupid trade for Desharnais who did not much. He's not that great a trader. Reinhard lost and Barzal and a pick lost all for nothing.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Oh **** Barzal.

He's going to top off as a 5 goal guy in the NHL if he's still getting 10 goals in a 41 campaign season.

Most overrated name on this board.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Chia lost both Davidson and Reinhart in a stupid trade for Desharnais who did not much. He's not that great a trader. Reinhard lost and Barzal and a pick lost all for nothing.

Do you realize the trade wasn't Desharnais for Reinhart, Davidson, Barzal and a pick? :shakehead

Losing Reinhart is not that big a deal. If that's the worst you can say about Chia than he ain't doing too bad.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

This is the Chia appreciation thread. The *****ing and whining thread is that way.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I've been a Chiarelli supporter more often than not.

The Leon and McDavid signing and team/cap fallout will really determine for me whether he falls into the good category or bad. The next two years will be incredibly tough to manage no matter what McDavid and Leon sign for but damn near impossible if rumors are true. Not being able to build a legit cup contender with the resources he has will certainly be hard to justify him being a good GM.

Today may be the last day I can say he easily has been far more good than bad.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I've been a Chiarelli supporter more often than not.

The Leon and McDavid signing and team/cap fallout will really determine for me whether he falls into the god category or bad. The next two years will be incredibly tough to manage no matter what McDavid and Leon sign for but damn near impossible if rumors are true. Not being able to build a legit cup contender with the resources he has will certainly be hard to justify him being a good GM.

Today may be the last day I can say he easily has been far more good than bad.

I hope Chia doesn't show the same impatience you are. I could easily see this thing lasting to September easily.

Liut has forced Chia to play a game of chicken. Nothing is happening today. No reason to judge Chia's actions by what he does today.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015

A very unfortunate story arc in the Chia era. Whatever the whole intentions behind those moves, the reality is that that blunder cost the team a hefty amount of assets

In another organization thats the type of erroneous asset management that would, at the very least, get the Manager responsible on a shorter leash.

I like Chiarelli, but he seems increasingly outdated for the ever-evolving NHL. He's adept at finding cheap, strong depth/AHLers, but he's not shown himself to be opportunistic or adaptable enough in his Edmonton tenure to make me believe he can build a championship.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I hope Chia doesn't show the same impatience you are. I could easily see this thing lasting to September easily.

Liut has forced Chia to play a game of chicken. Nothing is happening today. No reason to judge Chia's actions by what he does today.

Oh, I thought I read somewhere that tomorrow McDavid gets signed.

If McDavid gets 13.25 mill I have no idea how every star RFA doesn't get 9-11 from here on in.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
A very unfortunate story arc in the Chia era. Whatever the whole intentions behind those moves, the reality is that that blunder cost the team a hefty amount of assets

In another organization thats the type of erroneous asset management that would, at the very least, get the Manager responsible on a shorter leash.

I like Chiarelli, but he seems increasingly outdated for the ever-evolving NHL. He's adept at finding cheap, strong depth/AHLers, but he's not shown himself to be opportunistic or adaptable enough in his Edmonton tenure to make me believe he can build a championship.

There was a mistake made and that was in the price paid to acquire Reinhart in the first place; Chiarelli is ultimately to blame, but he said at the time he made the decision based on internal intelligence. I'm willing to let that one slide; not off the organization, but him specifically.

The Reinhart+Davidson -> Desharnais expansion idea is a thin one. Davidson played 10 regular season games and was 0g/2a/-3. He played 3 playoff games at was 0g/0a/-1. He turns 26 in August. We loved him, but he had no future outside a third pairing 6/7.

Reinhart is 24 in January '18, a wretched stat-line too, but currently at the end of his ELC. How much is he going to cost? Less than Davidson? With his pedigree and the most recent asset cost paid to acquire him, unlikely. He's a younger, bigger player with more upside than Davidson. He could still marinate into a top 4 player if things break right. He, like Davidson, found himself in an absolute log-jam we had on left d; Klef, Russ, Nurse, Sekera -- Sekera's injury was late and extremely disappointing but you don't just replace your solid vet #2/3 D, you backfill with depth -- which we are currently doing.

Neither Davidson nor Desharnais had anything to do with expansion. We wanted a veteran who can win a draw and provide a more dynamic third/fourth line for the playoffs, so we traded a beauty for help. Reinhart was the guy we were going to lose in expansion. It was never Davidson. He was the best player we had available for a growth team.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Oh, I thought I read somewhere that tomorrow McDavid gets signed.

If McDavid gets 13.25 mill I have no idea how every star RFA doesn't get 9-11 from here on in.

McDavid isnt just a star UFA.

Ovie signed a 9.5 cap hit out of his ELC
Crosby signed 8.7 with only one year of UFA
Stamkos 7.5 with one year of UFA
Malkin the same as Crosby

Meanwhile there was players like Hall, Tavares, Seguin, etc signing around 6M. You pay for what your getting. Of course the cap is going up every year so the RFA's are always going to ask for more, esp if they are including a good number of UFA years.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
McDavid isnt just a star UFA.

Ovie signed a 9.5 cap hit out of his ELC
Crosby signed 8.7 with only one year of UFA
Stamkos 7.5 with one year of UFA
Malkin the same as Crosby

Meanwhile there was players like Hall, Tavares, Seguin, etc signing around 6M. You pay for what your getting. Of course the cap is going up every year so the RFA's are always going to ask for more, esp if they are including a good number of UFA years.

You realize most your examples have similar term and talent as McDavid has/will get and all range from 4 to 7 million cheaper... That's a lot of money. McDavid, if he signs at 13+ is grossly overpaid, using your own examples.

Just looking at those examples the absolute most he should get is 10.6. McDavid is not worth more than double some of the names there. It's silly.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
You realize most your examples have similar term and talent as McDavid has/will get and all range from 4 to 7 million cheaper... That's a lot of money. McDavid, if he signs at 13+ is grossly overpaid, using your own examples.

Just looking at those examples the absolute most he should get is 10.6. McDavid is not worth more than double some of the names there. It's silly.

There's this little thing called inflation, that you seemingly are ignoring. If McDavid was signing this contract in the same year as those players, then you're absolutely correct. But now the cap is higher and players make more money. Year after year, the cap rises and each free agent gets a liiiittle more than they would have the year before, because it's not a matter of salary, it's a matter of salary in relation to the cap.

It's not like this hasn't been mentioned about a billion times, so your ignorance of this is either extreme, or you are leaving it out on purpose to try and support an argument, which isn't the way to win one.

Crosby signed a deal that was approximately 17% of the cap at the time. That puts McDavid around the 13M mark, like it or not.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015

Those contracts need to be compared to cap percentage and other signing that year not this years money.
Ovechkin signed for $9.5380(16.82%) of the cap. That would be $ 12.615 Million in today's money

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
There has been almost the same amount of *****ing on here as there was this time last year. If this team has a better year this year than last there should be a crow potluck diner.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Those contracts need to be compared to cap percentage and other signing that year not this years money.
Ovechkin signed for $9.5380(16.82%) of the cap. That would be $ 12.615 Million in today's money

I understand the math but the situation is different. Lower middle players make more of the cap percentage now than they did back then. Overall the cap was expected to rise more as well. We are not comparing apples to apples.

They also need to realize what cap percentage works to give superstars that can win a cup...

Whatever it is, it is. I haven't lost any sleep over it, nor will I. But it's not so simple as just saying give him 3 million more than the next highest player and 5 million more than the best player in the NHL just because of previous cap percentages given out. That just doesn't make sense in the current environment.

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
DD scored a playoff OT goal and helped win a playoff series. IMO that's worth losing Davidson.

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012

The example you quoted is incorrect, Stamkos signed for 8.5 for 8 years. HOWEVER, if McDavid signs for between 13-14 million dollars that's 1.5 times the amount stamkos is making. Stamkos signed his contract LAST SUMMER.

When Stamkos signed that contract the Lightning had been to the SCF two years before and game 7 of the ECF the year before he signed. Stamkos lead the team in goals 6 times of the 8 years he had played, was a 3 time all-star, and had two 50 goal seasons before signing.

That's quite a resume to have going into negotiations, while being 26 and about to go into your prime. This was last year.

In 2014, Kane and Toews both signed for 10.5 AAV. Together, they had won the Stanley Cup twice and made the WCF twice before signing. Toews, 440 points in 484 games, was a 2 time finalist for the Selke trophy, while winning once, and won the Conn-Smythe trophy in 2010. Kane had six seasons over 65 points (493 points in 515 games) won the Calder Trophy, and Conn-Smythe in 2013. Kane had 91 points in 93 playoff games at the time of his signing, while Toews had 81 in 94 games. McDavid will be making 1.28 times what they both make.

This is only a 3 player example, however it is enough to make me think that this contract isn't because of inflation. We are massively overpaying for McDavid. He is worth it. 100 point season and arguably single handily brought the Oilers back to the playoffs. He will be the best player in the sport during this contract. One could argue he already is.

However, if this contract is because of inflation, this league will not be able to sustain itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad